*****Tennessee Football Coaching Search BIG BOARD [updated 12.4 10:47 am]

Any way to make a thread with ONLY news/info? It's hard to find solid info in all of these threads of people arguing back and forth.
I'll update the first post or there will be a thread if anything significant breaks. We haven't really had any "news" because everything is just speculation at this point.

We have a QB coach already on staff, and he won a Heisman too. Wink wink.
I would be surprised it’s not Friend prompted.
He is actually a good OL coach, just didn’t have much to work with and the ones he did, got hurt. Depth on the OL has been a major problem for years, thanks Dooley and thank Butch for firing your S &C coach, making players non accountable and weak.
CW move to QB coach, Hardesty promoted to coach RB’s
Continuality in the Staff.
Not a blockbuster but the big name OCs are just looking to become Head coaches later anyway then here we are again in 2-3 years.
Program needs stability in a major way.
Fans won’t like it but it is reality.
Get over it and move on.
All good points. Even though I think it'll be Enos, I wouldn't be overly critical of a Will Friend promotion. It does seem like Pruitt would want someone with experience as a play caller, but I think play calls are overrated. Good game planning and execution make average play callers look great.

I know Joe Osovet is big into RPO's, but wasn't he some kind of offensive guru at the junior college level? Is it possible we already have a killer OC on the staff?

Hugh Freeze is still a possibility per Chris Low this morning. He also mentioned Dan Enos and Bryan McClendon, who Pruitt tried to hire last year, but thinks it would take a lot of money to get him away from South Carolina.

Reactions: McDad
Hugh Freeze is still a possibility per Chris Low this morning. He also mentioned Dan Enos and Bryan McClendon, who Pruitt tried to hire last year, but thinks it would take a lot of money to get him away from South Carolina.
Would love it but will not get my hopes up.
Heck, makes more sense for him to OC at Nebraska with Frost on name alone.

So, who would you put more stock into, Lowe, Hubbs, and McMurphy or Fieldman? Serious question.

I'm for anything that put's the screws to Muschamp

So, who would you put more stock into, Lowe, Hubbs, and McMurphy or Fieldman? Serious question.

I think a lot of the TN insiders prolly have a leg up over Feldman who is pretty much a national guy. I still think it’s a long shot but Low is credible enough that he wouldn’t throw it out there without some current info

The issues that I see coming from hiring Freeze reside in the possible selective moral outrage that our fanbase exudes from time to time, and his tendency toward being a throwing team over a running team. CJP wants the run game to be paramount and I am sure that Freeze wants to be hired, so he will agree to just about anything to get back to a power 5 program. That doesn't mean that he will be good at coaching a running team, as we have seen from his offense at Ole Miss.

Conversely, maybe CJP lets him run his offense. I like JG, but I don't think he has the accuracy to be a gun slinger in our league just yet. That means that we might see the QB position changed to a more traditional pocket passer, or even an accurate mobile passer. If we stick with JG we could see another dissapointing season with lots of picks and missed throws.

I guess this is a bit pesimistic, but this is what I see in my limited scope. I am not sure that Freeze is the right man for the job. Now, the prospect of Dan Enos coming over and bringing Jalen Hurts with him makes me salivate, but that is more based on brand name than actual reason for optimism. Who knows how that would work out, but it sounds like a sexy hire that may be less impressive by most people's standards. But there could be some growth potential for Enos as the coach and a proven QB for JG to learn under for a year... and probably some extra W's in 2019.

We will see, and maybe we take a hard left turn in true Tennessee fashion. Hopefully between CPF and CJP they make the right hire.

Reactions: Pacer92

Ironic thing is, getting canned from Ole P*ss may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to Freeze, in the long run.

I know Joe Osovet is big into RPO's, but wasn't he some kind of offensive guru at the junior college level? Is it possible we already have a killer OC on the staff?

I think he should be a strong candidate. His offense was fun to watch. Of course, he wouldn't be the sexy hire everyone is hoping for. There would be some backlash, but nothing more than usual.

Apparently WNML is reporting that Friend OC is the most likely scenario?

If so, BREAKING NEWS: "Man who thought he had lost all hope loses last additional bit of hope he didnt even know he still had." :(

Reactions: McDad
Reading up on the Enos bio on Bama's website I gotta say I am impressed by his quarterback developement and his stint at Arkansas as OC. I think this would be a solid hire if Freeze and Kliff fall through (which looks like it has). I'm all for the fullback and under center play......sure worked for us when I attended games in the 90's. Shawn Bryson got a kid that's about ready to attend college??
Agree. I would feel a lot better about him as a candidate than I did before reading up.

Reactions: Weezer
I think Freeze would only stay a year or two before taking a head coach job somewhere and don't see the administration taking the risk, although it would be a huge splash hire and would definitely fix the offense in a hurry. I'm sure his salary might make some eyes roll as well. After last year's coaching search, I see the administration playing it safe. Kitchens might have connections through the obvious donor (I'm not saying that H***** word!) and has a decent resume with NFL experience, which he could sell to recruits. But at the same time, when was the last time he had to recruit, 2005? I don't think Lindsey has enough experience, unless the administration just wants to be cheap. You get what you pay for. Enos is someone to watch. I think he'd jump ship if the offer is good enough. He has a good college coaching resume with SEC offense experience. If the administration wants him, they had better lock him down before Mike Locksley shows interest in Maryland (or vice versa).

VN Store

Back