*****Tennessee Football Coaching Search BIG BOARD [updated 12.4 10:47 am]

I was fairly sure that Fulmer wasn't going to accept Freeze being hired here. Looks like he isn't a candidate. RTI thinks Kingbury is taking a Pro job. Fulmer want accept Kiffin either so looking for more names to pop up.

Yes..Kiffin isn’t coming here because Fulmer won’t accept it...That’s exactly what’s preventing a current head coach that took his current job after leaving Alabama as an OC from taking an OC position at a struggling SEC program....

I'm curious and have a serious question....When you say Tee has disrespected UT for years are you referencing him coming to "interview" in Knoxville and not taking a job because the same A hole who we ran down for not letting coordinators do their thing, micromanaging, and generally not elevating talent he had was the one calling the shots and Tee wanted no part of it? Unless I am misremembering Tee toyed with the idea a couple of times and rumors flew about his wife not wanting to be in Knoxville but I think the real reason he didn't come back to UT was having to work for some clueless putz who wasn't gonna let him do what needed to be done to fix the offense. There were several others that had the same opinion too. Was there some other stuff that I don't recall?

Make no mistake like you stated I don't think he is an offensive genius or even a good one.
I didn't then and certainly don't now think he is a legit answer to the OC position. I would say that Bob Shoop wished he had said no to the same DC question...

IBJ has proven that his "style" has made both coaches and players look really good in the subsequent years after they move on to other programs. I'm curious about folks saying Tee is not welcome on Rocky Top because he didn't want to work for the same guy we (fans) saw as wanting to fit a square peg MAC type offense into the round hole offensive needs of an SEC offense.

I am curious why anyone would waste their time discussing Tee as a potential OC. Obviously he was given the reins at USC this year and put them in the tank.

Reactions: MikeVol44
Serious question, do we think a first year HC like Pruitt would be self confident enough to hire guys like Freeze or Mcelwain? Guys with legit HC experience could be a bonus since Pruitt is so green but not everyone would be open to that.

Reactions: Weezer
Couple of items on Enos:

Enos, as detailed in this great 2015 piece from Arkansas Fight, has always been about ball control and play action passing. He tends to like his quarterbacks under center, his tight ends to be threats in the passing game, and even made extensive use of - gasp! - a fullback. Mike Locksley, on the other hand, has been almost exclusively a shotgun spread guy. It will be interesting to see how this develops, but there is no question that Enos has always featured a quarterback that can throw it accurately down the field.

Reactions: Weezer
Serious question, do we think a first year HC like Pruitt would be self confident enough to hire guys like Freeze or Mcelwain? Guys with legit HC experience could be a bonus since Pruitt is so green but not everyone would be open to that.
My serious answer is from what he has said yes... It could have been lip service but I don't think so. He has a rep for being straight up in his words vs actions. He said he took the job HC because he had a National Champ head coach and former OL in SEC right down the hall from him if he needed advice. Admitting that requires not having too much insecurity about the fact you are a Rookie head coach IMHO.

Couple of items on Enos:

Reading up on the Enos bio on Bama's website I gotta say I am impressed by his quarterback developement and his stint at Arkansas as OC. I think this would be a solid hire if Freeze and Kliff fall through (which looks like it has). I'm all for the fullback and under center play......sure worked for us when I attended games in the 90's. Shawn Bryson got a kid that's about ready to attend college??

Reactions: bpalmer28
"Hey Greg. I saw your post yesterday and wanted to ease your mind. Coach Friend, at this time, won’t be hired as OC. He is a quality offensive line coach. But I know for a fact he believes that the O-Line coach shouldn’t be the one chosen as OC. I Don’t follow the ins and outs of Tennessee football like you do but I do have a pretty good line of info hahahaha. I’m really thinking mcelwain is a good fit. It will all depend on all the details I’m sure."

This from my old high school football coach that coaches with Jeremy's dad. I have developed a relationship with this coach over the years after playing and he never says much or goes to Pruitt (dad) for info. I never have legitimate information and this could prove to be false but this is my information for the day. And no, i will not reveal his name and i did not ask for this information.

Reactions: Paukotajs and Freak
I am so tired of losing and have no voice in this hire. I buy about 4 football tickets a year with my season bball tickets also. I will watch football on tv next year. My money my choice.

I would take Enos and Hurts

for those thinking Hurts can't throw the ball... why would it matter...the O line doesn't give anyone enough time to throw... at least hurts can escape the pocket rather than get killed like JG
This. Hurts may not be able to pass well enough to beat Alabama and Georgia, but aren’t ready to take that step anyway. If he’s good enough to get us to a bowl, he’s worth the scholarship

Reactions: Volbrando
Same ole same ole same ole....
High targets wanted
End up with low target
Coach pep up as next best thing
Cycle starts again next year

Just let me know who is hired....

I don’t think it’ll be Will Friend because we need a QB coach, and what qualified QB coach could we hire without giving them OC duties?

If it isn’t Freeze or a current OC, it’ll be Enos. JMO.
We have a QB coach already on staff, and he won a Heisman too. Wink wink.
I would be surprised it’s not Friend prompted.
He is actually a good OL coach, just didn’t have much to work with and the ones he did, got hurt. Depth on the OL has been a major problem for years, thanks Dooley and thank Butch for firing your S &C coach, making players non accountable and weak.
CW move to QB coach, Hardesty promoted to coach RB’s
Continuality in the Staff.
Not a blockbuster but the big name OCs are just looking to become Head coaches later anyway then here we are again in 2-3 years.
Program needs stability in a major way.
Fans won’t like it but it is reality.
Get over it and move on.

Brian Rice just said on Ainge's show that he expects a hire by Friday, which seems to contradict what some others are saying who expect Pruitt to take his time.

Reactions: Paukotajs

VN Store

Back