*****Tennessee Football Coaching Search BIG BOARD [updated 12.4 10:47 am]

We could do a lot worse than Nussmeier...

I think the OCs at both Pittsburgh and Syracuse are worth a look....

I don't see CJP hiring a guy who likes to sling it all over the field--he saw that crap from Lame Kitten.....
Agree we could hire a life long HS coach...

Reactions: Weezer
I'd give a lot to read the vacancy notice for the OC position. Mandatory minimum requirements, past demonstrated performance, any emphasis on certain qualifications, desired qualities and/or experience. I've written a few in the past and found if you put a lot of thought into it, have good competition, it usually works out. Certainly makes the decision easier. Without it we are all just throwing jello on the wall and hoping it sticks. Hope it's over soon, hope we choose wisely. History has shown it can hurt a HC and program badly.

Freeze would be too good to be true.

A winning program hires him first thing this morning.

Unfortunately that's not what we currently are.

Reactions: onevol74
@Freak - Tee Martin maybe?? He got demoted at USC and might jump at this opportunity?

HELL TO THE NO!!! He has all but disrespected his Alma Mater for years!!! He also isn't a great proven offensive mind. He can recruit and is probably a little better than average. But, UT NEEDS A HOMERUN HIRE AT OC. TEE ISN'T IT!!! Freeze and Kingsbury are the only two HOMERUN HIRES I can think of at this moment!!! Unless, you could hire Josh Heupel. And, that isn't happening, UNFORTUNATELY!!!

Last edited:
My money is something happening that is not exciting
I see a promotion for someone currently on the staff OR getting one of those high school coaches with no college experience to be our O C
Nothing to see here folks

After the last coaching search, I’m avoiding any and all optimism until Pruitt trots out his man. Freeze would be a slam dunk hire, but we all know Tennessee is incapable of making those.

HELL TO THE NO!!! He has all but disrespected his Alma Mater for years!!! He also isn't a great proven offensive mind. He can recruit and is probably a little better than average. But, UT NEEDS A HOMERUN HIRE AT OC. TEE ISN'T IT!!! Freeze and Kingsbury are the only two HOMERUN HIRES I can think of at this moment!!! Unless, you could hire Josh Heupel. And, that isn't happening, UNFORTUNATELY!!!
I'm curious and have a serious question....When you say Tee has disrespected UT for years are you referencing him coming to "interview" in Knoxville and not taking a job because the same A hole who we ran down for not letting coordinators do their thing, micromanaging, and generally not elevating talent he had was the one calling the shots and Tee wanted no part of it? Unless I am misremembering Tee toyed with the idea a couple of times and rumors flew about his wife not wanting to be in Knoxville but I think the real reason he didn't come back to UT was having to work for some clueless putz who wasn't gonna let him do what needed to be done to fix the offense. There were several others that had the same opinion too. Was there some other stuff that I don't recall?

Make no mistake like you stated I don't think he is an offensive genius or even a good one.
I didn't then and certainly don't now think he is a legit answer to the OC position. I would say that Bob Shoop wished he had said no to the same DC question...

IBJ has proven that his "style" has made both coaches and players look really good in the subsequent years after they move on to other programs. I'm curious about folks saying Tee is not welcome on Rocky Top because he didn't want to work for the same guy we (fans) saw as wanting to fit a square peg MAC type offense into the round hole offensive needs of an SEC offense.

I was fairly sure that Fulmer wasn't going to accept Freeze being hired here. Looks like he isn't a candidate. RTI thinks Kingbury is taking a Pro job. Fulmer want accept Kiffin either so looking for more names to pop up.

VN Store

Back