2018 QB Depth Chart

No I started a Thread about his horrible play and siad that either of the other 2 QBs couldn't do worse than he was doing already.

It has nothing to do with Bias it is still warrented by his performance and nothing else. My work with Kids has nothing to do with my assessment of QB play thank you very much, I would have said the same thing about any of the QBs if they were playing as bad as Dormady was playing this year.

This just further proves my point that I am making my opinion on nothing but his play and performance and there is no bias in my assessment!

Dormady has not performed to a level even high enough to be a decent backup QB in the SEC. That isn't personal it is fact.

He couldn't have started at any other SEC school this year! His relationship with Butch's God daughter while it may not have anything to do with playing time still put a stigma over his horrible continuous play that Butch allowed to continue until he was relieved of his starting duties!

Except after the season it turns out that our other two QB's did do much worse with a combined 1-6 record.

And for the record, QD did get pulled after horrendous play in the UGA game. Everything going into the game was okay. No sane coach changes their QB after a 3-1 start.

Except after the season it turns out that our other two QB's did do much worse with a combined 1-6 record.

And for the record, QD did get pulled after horrendous play in the UGA game. Everything going into the game was okay. No sane coach changes their QB after a 3-1 start.

Dormady palyed against 1 Quality team in Georgia and was horrible. Didn't look great against a 5-7 Florida team and played 1 good Quarter against GT with the help of Calloway and Kelly.

Talk about Context, Dormady look average against mediocre teams JG and WM looked average against the meat of our SEC schedule.

They didn't look worse which is exactly what i stated. Neither looked worse than Dormady, at points both looked better buth neither looked worse. All 3 were average, Dormady was never going to be a big time QB in the SEC, not to say either of the others would either but that wasn't my point. My point was neither did any worse than Dormady considering the context of the opponents.

JGs stats were better than Dormady's and he played a lot tougher schedule than Dormady did! It wasn't even close on a competition level of opponents!

It is easy to talk about context when it proves your point, but no so easy when it doesn't support your opinion, huh?

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone thought Crompton was a lost cause and couldn't play in the SEC. Then he got proper coaching.

We don't know what we have in the stable just yet.

The last 5 or 6 games Crompton played like all SEC, i think Mcbribe is better passer than JG, we better hope the freshmen comes in and lights it up but if i was a betting man i think our hopes are on JG, IF HE WOULD JUST 123 RELEASE THE BALL he might show something whole on to the ball way to long plus will take a sack instead of throwing the ball away but with the proper coaching who knows but he has a look on his face like he is scared, i don't think he reads a defense well enough to be good plus he won't run when there is yards to be had.

Dormady palyed against 1 Quality team in Georgia and was horrible. Didn't look great against a 5-7 Florida team and played 1 good Quarter against GT with the help of Calloway and Kelly.

Talk about Context, Dormady look average against mediocre teams JG and WM looked average against the meat of our SEC schedule.

They didn't look worse which is exactly what i stated. Neither looked worse than Dormady, at points both looked better buth neither looked worse. All 3 were average, Dormady was never going to be a big time QB in the SEC, not to say either of the others would either but that wasn't my point. My point was neither did any worse than Dormady considering the context of the opponents.

JGs stats were better than Dormady's and he played a lot tougher schedule than Dormady did! It wasn't even close on a competition level of opponents!

It is easy to talk about context when it proves your point, but no so easy when it doesn't support your opinion, huh?

And congratulations Johnny Boy! You finally played yourself.

You can't claim to use context on why QD should have gotten benched for JG, and ultimately what led to McBride getting PT, and then not use context at all when beating the QD is absolutely horrible and the reason our offense had issues.

You want to rant and rave as to why we bench the kid by being a "stat sheet talker" yet the minute someone talks bad about your darling JG, you bring out the "schedule was harder, defense was horrible, hes a freshman" talk. If you use context equally and 100% across the board, you'd finally be able to truly dissect and evaluate our QB play this year.

Fact- our receivers were the sole reason we didn't start of 4-0. Glad you brought up context. Because even Stevie Wonder could see that we lost to Florida due to 4 specific plays.

First- Palmer runs a route completely wrong on a one step drop and throw that results in an interception. Stat sheet blames QD, but that is completely on the receiver. Pick doesn't happen and we come out with 3 or 7 points.

Second- Callaway runs the hitch completely wrong by cutting the route off 3 yards short. He admitted that post game. Stat sheet blames QD, but that pick, which lead to a TD, is soley caused by Callaway running the wrong route. Pick doesn't happen and Florida doesn't have 7 points.

Third- After driving down the field and scoring after Pick 6, we are driving again. John Kelly drops a ball that is squarely hit in the hands. Was already looking at that endzone before completing the catch. Make that catch and we walk out with a 24-20 lead. That's not even counting the two interceptions caused by the receivers running wrong routes.

Since I know you love to cherry pick when and when to not use context, I figured I would give you some since you are squarely only using it when you can blast QD.

And before you start this "JMS is saying QD should have won the heisman" campaign against me, check yourself. Our offense was a crap show. Jennings was the biggest loss of the year when he got hurt against Georgia Tech. He doesn't get hurt and our offense, WITH ALL 3 QB's, would prolly have looked better than a Sh!t sandwich.

It is amazing the lack of context used by everyone, especially you, just so you can beat up a kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It's been years since we had an offensive line that provided any kind of comfort for a QB. Obviously, it won't happen, but wouldn't it be interesting to have seen Alabama's "New" QB Tua Tagovailoa play the same snaps that JG and/or QD played last year, and see his production with UT's existing offensive line and receiver corps? Kid's good, but you need a supporting cast.

Guarantano was hard to watch at times last year but as hard as it is to believe, I think he was way ahead of the hot garbage we had at QB in 2008.

Yes he was. He flashed really good play at times, showed very good accuracy and passing ability. There’s a segment of posters in here acting like JG was the second coming of Peterman vs Florida. The kid struggled with feeling pressure and general pocket awareness.....I also don’t think he trusted what he saw from his receivers which led him to hold the ball excessively long, which surely wasn’t all his fault. But he stood tough in the pocket and protected the ball. Those same posters should be reminded that a 129 qb rating >> a .7 qb rating.

When JG threw the ball, he threw it with authority and accuracy...he was effective when he wasn’t holding the ball too long and seemingly waiting for someone to hit him behind the line of scrimmage, and I fully believe that can be coached out of him.

I think we’re going to see a much-improved JG now that he’s got some legit QB coaching heading his way, rather than the crap he got from a mid major running backs coach and a feckless head coach who wouldn’t know a legit SEC offense if it bit him on the arse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The last 5 or 6 games Crompton played like all SEC, i think Mcbribe is better passer than JG, we better hope the freshmen comes in and lights it up but if i was a betting man i think our hopes are on JG, IF HE WOULD JUST 123 RELEASE THE BALL he might show something whole on to the ball way to long plus will take a sack instead of throwing the ball away but with the proper coaching who knows but he has a look on his face like he is scared, i don't think he reads a defense well enough to be good plus he won't run when there is yards to be had.

You “think McBride is a better passer than JG”?? Now I’m even more certain in my opinion of the two.

Ftr, if one guy completes 62% of his passes, averages 7+ yards per attempt, throws more touchdowns than interceptions and has a 129 qb rating, vs much, much better competition ....he’s generally considered a better passer than a guy who completes 42% of his passes, averages 3.8 yards per attempt, throws more interceptions than touchdowns and has a 73 qb rating, vs much, much worse competition.

No I started a Thread about his horrible play and siad that either of the other 2 QBs couldn't do worse than he was doing already.

It has nothing to do with Bias it is still warrented by his performance and nothing else. My work with Kids has nothing to do with my assessment of QB play thank you very much, I would have said the same thing about any of the QBs if they were playing as bad as Dormady was playing this year.

This just further proves my point that I am making my opinion on nothing but his play and performance and there is no bias in my assessment!

Dormady has not performed to a level even high enough to be a decent backup QB in the SEC. That isn't personal it is fact.

He couldn't have started at any other SEC school this year! His relationship with Butch's God daughter while it may not have anything to do with playing time still put a stigma over his horrible continuous play that Butch allowed to continue until he was relieved of his starting duties!

Yeah...like that. But you were REALLY ESPECIALLY salty. :lol:

And congratulations Johnny Boy! You finally played yourself.

You can't claim to use context on why QD should have gotten benched for JG, and ultimately what led to McBride getting PT, and then not use context at all when beating the QD is absolutely horrible and the reason our offense had issues.

You want to rant and rave as to why we bench the kid by being a "stat sheet talker" yet the minute someone talks bad about your darling JG, you bring out the "schedule was harder, defense was horrible, hes a freshman" talk. If you use context equally and 100% across the board, you'd finally be able to truly dissect and evaluate our QB play this year.

Fact- our receivers were the sole reason we didn't start of 4-0. Glad you brought up context. Because even Stevie Wonder could see that we lost to Florida due to 4 specific plays.

First- Palmer runs a route completely wrong on a one step drop and throw that results in an interception. Stat sheet blames QD, but that is completely on the receiver. Pick doesn't happen and we come out with 3 or 7 points.

Second- Callaway runs the hitch completely wrong by cutting the route off 3 yards short. He admitted that post game. Stat sheet blames QD, but that pick, which lead to a TD, is soley caused by Callaway running the wrong route. Pick doesn't happen and Florida doesn't have 7 points.

Third- After driving down the field and scoring after Pick 6, we are driving again. John Kelly drops a ball that is squarely hit in the hands. Was already looking at that endzone before completing the catch. Make that catch and we walk out with a 24-20 lead. That's not even counting the two interceptions caused by the receivers running wrong routes.

Since I know you love to cherry pick when and when to not use context, I figured I would give you some since you are squarely only using it when you can blast QD.

And before you start this "JMS is saying QD should have won the heisman" campaign against me, check yourself. Our offense was a crap show. Jennings was the biggest loss of the year when he got hurt against Georgia Tech. He doesn't get hurt and our offense, WITH ALL 3 QB's, would prolly have looked better than a Sh!t sandwich.

It is amazing the lack of context used by everyone, especially you, just so you can beat up a kid.

Neither of the other QBs played any worse than Dormady was my sole point.

I don't care who starts at QB, I have nothing invested any any of them. But I can tell you that no matter what QD did it wasn't good. We can blame it on whatever we would like.

Lets start with the OL, Dormady played with the healthiest OL of any of the QB, still his play wasn't any better than the other 2 QBs.

Next the receivers, So the receivers started running better routes for JG and WM? Because neither had a problem turning the ball over after QD was relieved of his duties. I am not saying that the WR were good this year, we all know that isn't true. But Calloway and John Kelly are the only reasons that we won the GT game. That is a fact, Dormady was throwing balls into double and triple coverage.

Coaching sounds like a legit excuse, Dormady wasn't built for Butch's system right? None of our QBs are ideal in Butch's system. His system sucks without a player like Dobbs to make something out of nothing atleast his system at Tennessee.

We can pick and choose and say if this happen then this would have happen, but that isn't how it works in real life. Dormady showed this year he isn't mentally of physically ready to play in teh SEC as a Junior, So i doubt he will ever play high level quality football anywhere that is P5 (I will gladly eat my words if he goes elsewhere and does well at a P5 level, but i just don't see it happening).

I am not saying that Guarantano or McBride are great either, but my point all season was they both have years or eligibilty left and didn't do worse than Dormady so play for the future, not someone who is a Junior and looks worse than any of the True freshmen QBs that are succeeding in the SEC currently.

Dormady isn't a very good QB in my opinion, but that is just my opinion based off what I have seen on tape, in his decision making, and physical skill set. He wasn't the best option at QB for Tennessee this year.

I don't care who starts at QB, I have nothing invested any any of them. But I can tell you that no matter what QD did it wasn't good. We can blame it on whatever we would like.

Lets start with the OL, Dormady played with the healthiest OL of any of the QB, still his play wasn't any better than the other 2 QBs.

Next the receivers, So the receivers started running better routes for JG and WM? Because neither had a problem turning the ball over after QD was relieved of his duties. I am not saying that the WR were good this year, we all know that isn't true. But Calloway and John Kelly are the only reasons that we won the GT game. That is a fact, Dormady was throwing balls into double and triple coverage.

Coaching sounds like a legit excuse, Dormady wasn't built for Butch's system right? None of our QBs are ideal in Butch's system. His system sucks without a player like Dobbs to make something out of nothing atleast his system at Tennessee.

We can pick and choose and say if this happen then this would have happen, but that isn't how it works in real life. Dormady showed this year he isn't mentally of physically ready to play in teh SEC as a Junior, So i doubt he will ever play high level quality football anywhere that is P5 (I will gladly eat my words if he goes elsewhere and does well at a P5 level, but i just don't see it happening).

I am not saying that Guarantano or McBride are great either, but my point all season was they both have years or eligibilty left and didn't do worse than Dormady so play for the future, not someone who is a Junior and looks worse than any of the True freshmen QBs that are succeeding in the SEC currently.

Dormady isn't a very good QB in my opinion, but that is just my opinion based off what I have seen on tape, in his decision making, and physical skill set. He wasn't the best option at QB for Tennessee this year.

So when you previously stated that Dormady was “a great QB. He just doesn’t fit this system”, you were talking outya azz? :lol:

The point you are missing in all of this is that you can have the "healthiest team", but mistakes still happen. For instance, receivers running a poor route that results in a Pick6 or a wide open receiver bobbling the ball right into the defense's hands.

At the end of the day, QD wasn't a stellar QB at all. However, lets not sit here and say he was the main reason we lost a lot of games. Florida loss was not on him at all. Stat sheet village crazies will carry that narrative to the grave, but that is simply not true.

Fact of the matter is that the receivers literally dropped two wins from their hands in Florida and South Carolina. What was different about the two? The QB's who played.

Our receivers did more damage to our offense than our QB's did in the first 6-7 games of the season. If you can't acknowledge that, you are truly blinded in bias.

The point you are missing in all of this is that you can have the "healthiest team", but mistakes still happen. For instance, receivers running a poor route that results in a Pick6 or a wide open receiver bobbling the ball right into the defense's hands.

At the end of the day, QD wasn't a stellar QB at all. However, lets not sit here and say he was the main reason we lost a lot of games. Florida loss was not on him at all. Stat sheet village crazies will carry that narrative to the grave, but that is simply not true.

Fact of the matter is that the receivers literally dropped two wins from their hands in Florida and South Carolina. What was different about the two? The QB's who played.

Our receivers did more damage to our offense than our QB's did in the first 6-7 games of the season. If you can't acknowledge that, you are truly blinded in bias.

I figure Jennings would have one us SC and KY games.

So when you previously stated that Dormady was “a great QB. He just doesn’t fit this system”, you were talking outya azz? :lol:

I genuinely thought he could be until I watched him play more and his decision making, he just hasn't shown he could be a great QB in my opinion with all of the variables.

We agree on a lot of points here. About none of the QBs playing great this year, I am saying that him adjusting to the receivers would have resulted in less turnovers.

JG and WM made the adjustments to what ther receivers were doing, versus what they should have been doing. That I believe is the difference between the QB this year.

Dormady forced plays that didn't develop, where JG and WM adjusted to what they were give better than Dormady did.

Josh Dobbs was a good QB because he took what he was given regardless if it was the play that was called in the Huddle, All good QBs do that.

It may not all be QDs fault but QD didn't adapt to the game when it was in front of him. That is one reason why I think he won't ever be a really good QB.

Dormady can throw the ball, people questioning his arm strength are crazy, But that doesn't mean he has a NFL Arm.

His decision making, accuracy, and lack of adaptabilty is what puts the losses on him. JMO.

The receivers aren't the major problem, they share that with the OL, QBs, and Defense. All and All we weren't a good team as a whole, but the blame should be spread throughout every member of the team not on a single group.

The problem with that is that the QBs get all the glory and all the Blame no matter who we try to blame it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
We agree on a lot of points here. About none of the QBs playing great this year, I am saying that him adjusting to the receivers would have resulted in less turnovers.

JG and WM made the adjustments to what ther receivers were doing, versus what they should have been doing. That I believe is the difference between the QB this year.

Dormady forced plays that didn't develop, where JG and WM adjusted to what they were give better than Dormady did.

Josh Dobbs was a good QB because he took what he was given regardless if it was the play that was called in the Huddle, All good QBs do that.

It may not all be QDs fault but QD didn't adapt to the game when it was in front of him. That is one reason why I think he won't ever be a really good QB.

Dormady can throw the ball, people questioning his arm strength are crazy, But that doesn't mean he has a NFL Arm.

His decision making, accuracy, and lack of adaptabilty is what puts the losses on him. JMO.

The receivers aren't the major problem, they share that with the OL, QBs, and Defense. All and All we weren't a good team as a whole, but the blame should be spread throughout every member of the team not on a single group.

The problem with that is that the QBs get all the glory and all the Blame no matter who we try to blame it on.

McBride was more fleeter on his feet than JG. However, both of them were 1 read guys that would take a sack if it wasn't there in JG or try to scamper thru people in McBride.

They were the epitome of low risk/low reward styles.

QD ain't no saint, but he took chances when evaluating his play WITH CONTEXT, he manageable. UGA game was inexplicable, but between playcalling, possible injury, and Captain Carter being a complete d!ck, no one was going to survive a full season under his Butchness.

This is the potential 2018 QB Depth chart for UT rolling up from 2017. Class standing is adjusted:

JG, 6'4 200, R-So, Current starter end of 2017

Will McBride, 6'1 195, Soph, Limited play, Can he RS again in 2018 since he lost it in 2017?

Zac Jancek, 6'4 214, R-Jr, No game experience

Brandon Hines, 6'1 200, Soph (R-FR?), No game experience

Seth Washington, 6'0 199, Soph (R-FR?), No game experience

Bart Harris, 6'4 220, FR PWO, pro-style

JT Shrout, 6'3 190, FR Scholarship, pro-style

Alex Thompson, 6'5 225, grad Xfer 2yrs eligibility, pro-style with running ability, UT showing interest but no offer yet.

Dormady - transferring

So, pending any of the other backups xferring, we will have 7, possibly 8 QB's on the roster for 2018. You'd have to thing that unless some are happy as sideline and practice squad QB's just to wear the orange, others will transfer. Or, maybe after a year with Pruitt to see how the pecking order ends up. 7/8 QB's on the roster is quite alot. All but 1 will be tying up scholarships.

This is the potential 2018 QB Depth chart for UT rolling up from 2017. Class standing is adjusted:

JG, 6'4 200, R-So, Current starter end of 2017

Will McBride, 6'1 195, Soph, Limited play, Can he RS again in 2018 since he lost it in 2017?

Zac Jancek, 6'4 214, R-Jr, No game experience

Brandon Hines, 6'1 200, Soph (R-FR?), No game experience

Seth Washington, 6'0 199, Soph (R-FR?), No game experience

Bart Harris, 6'4 220, FR PWO, pro-style

JT Shrout, 6'3 190, FR Scholarship, pro-style

Alex Thompson, 6'5 225, grad Xfer 2yrs eligibility, pro-style with running ability, UT showing interest but no offer yet.

Dormady - transferring

So, pending any of the other backups xferring, we will have 7, possibly 8 QB's on the roster for 2018. You'd have to thing that unless some are happy as sideline and practice squad QB's just to wear the orange, others will transfer. Or, maybe after a year with Pruitt to see how the pecking order ends up. 7/8 QB's on the roster is quite alot. All but 1 will be tying up scholarships.

The question you had about McBride? He has one redshirt to use for any of his four years of eligibility.

The question you had about McBride? He has one redshirt to use for any of his four years of eligibility.

Thanks.

Does anyone know anything substantial about Jancek. Obviously, he didn't beat anyone out under Butch's system. But, he is a RS-JR coming up. And, he has typical pro-style size. Just curious if he is a viable contender under Pruitt's system, or would he be better off xferring to FCS and playing. Or, even a possible #2 behind JG if he remains the starter. Lot's of "if's" there since you will also have a QB they offered, one they accepted as a PWO, and one they are considering as a Grad Transfer. All with typical pro-style builds. We are looking at 7 or 8 QB's competing for starter and backup.

McBride was more fleeter on his feet than JG. However, both of them were 1 read guys that would take a sack if it wasn't there in JG or try to scamper thru people in McBride.

They were the epitome of low risk/low reward styles.

QD ain't no saint, but he took chances when evaluating his play WITH CONTEXT, he manageable. UGA game was inexplicable, but between playcalling, possible injury, and Captain Carter being a complete d!ck, no one was going to survive a full season under his Butchness.

The Uga game isnt inexplicable, it was the first talented team they had faced and they sucked. There is no other explanation, purely out coached, out played, they drew up a big fat zero against a great uga team that shut them down.

The Uga game isnt inexplicable, it was the first talented team they had faced and they sucked. There is no other explanation, purely out coached, out played, they drew up a big fat zero against a great uga team that shut them down.
That will change in 2018. Smart can’t beat Pruitt.:)

QB Grad Transfer from Wagner we are in running for. Worked with Phil Simms in off season Simms said could play at any level and 49ners QB coach Scanganello said he will QB in the NFL. 6'5" and 225 lbs. and he will have 2 years eligibility because of a med redshirt.

Don't know if this is serious or not but, if so, care to make it interesting?

Why would it not be serious? Football is life and Orange Defense as you know if you've been spying on VN has several times stated, in so many words, that Pruitt has Kirby's number. We shall see but I like what Orange Defense is selling and I'm in for a block of shares.

Why would it not be serious? Football is life and Orange Defense as you know if you've been spying on VN has several times stated, in so many words, that Pruitt has Kirby's number. We shall see but I like what Orange Defense is selling and I'm in for a block of shares.

$1,000 on UGA vs TN in 2018. I know a guy in Vegas who can make this happen. We'll both need to deposit the money by Feb. 1.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back