'18 SC punter Skylar Delong

"DeLong said Alabama and defending national champion Clemson were “also still on the table to think about,” and both schools had invited him to their upcoming camps, along with “probably” more than a dozen other programs."

Seems like a solid comittment...

As I was saying...

Reactions: 1 person
I don't doubt he's a good punter, but he suddenly got the thought that there might be more Colquitts out there, and he got cold feet. Erbody knows you can't punt with cold feet.

Least important recruit in the class.

Wouldn't say that because we obviously need one, but there are a lot of good legs out there. UT will find one....preferably one who understands the definition of "commitment". This is why recruiting has gotten so slimy. Kids play games and reserve spots. Coaches play games and cut kids loose when numbers get tight. Distasteful.

When this guy committed, it was boom town and how great and important punters are. Now he has flipped, eh well he is not that important. Typical VN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
When this guy committed, it was boom town and how greag and important punters are. Now he has flipped, eh well he is not that important. Typical VN.

Compared to a lot of our other needs, punter is the least thing most of us are concerned with. We need LBs, DEs, and a few stud RBs. He's not going to break this class.

butch-jones-is-pissed-a.gif

With punter JK Scott leaving after the coming season, this is an important get for the Tide. Field position is a strong part of what it's all about and a great punter can flip field position as sudden as anyone on the team.

y'all are going to need Delong BADLY the next few years against the Big Orange. so damn badly.

With punter JK Scott leaving after the coming season, this is an important get for the Tide. Field position is a strong part of what it's all about and a great punter can flip field position as sudden as anyone on the team.

Thank you for providing such a hot take regarding the game of football. Look forward to other talking points such as time of possession and limiting turnovers. With your vast knowledge of the game of football we should have a new perspective when opening kickoff rolls around in a couple of months.

Reactions: 4 people
Hey, the kid just figured that Bama is about to be punting a lot more than the Vols. He knows the tide is ebbing.

Nation Ford coach Michael Allen earlier this week described DeLong’s recruitment as “crazy,” because of the national interest. DeLong’s Tennessee offer is for punting and kickoffs, indicative of his lively right leg. He’s working on perfecting his Aussie-style punt, but feels confident that the rest of his skills will be ready for the SEC. There’s still work to do on his long frame. “I definitely need to gain probably about 20 pounds,” he said.

DeLong said he hit 81 percent of his kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks last fall and averaged about 40 yards per punt. His recruitment isn’t over, but if did end Thursday he’d be thrilled to land at Tennessee. He has two other full scholarship offers for punting, from Rutgers and Army. DeLong plans to attend camps this summer at Tennessee, Clemson and Alabama.

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article153848899.html

FWIW, the stats reported to MaxPreps by Nation Ford HS last year say DeLong averaged 34 yards per punt and 54% of his kickoffs were touchbacks.

Chris Sailer Kicking's No. 2 punter in his class, ranked 3rd by Kohl's. Class of '17 walk-on Joe Doyle is ranked 6th by Sailer & 5th by Kohl's. Between these two guys, we'll hopefully have a worthy successor to Trevor Daniel.

I can not believe I did not notice the part where it said "His recruitment isn't over, but if it was he would be happy to land at Tennessee." Never was committed!

I think its very cool of Skylar to step aside to make room for more elite talent in this signing class. Stay hard Skylar!

Prolly stick with the pork myself. Got the all you can eat ribs at Risky's and all I could eat were the first plate (and barely). They were beef and tasted like they were microwaved. :yuck:

Everything that I have had there is awesome. Won't go wrong with any choice that you make.

Best beef rib that I have ever had.
Pork ribs are Memphis quality...dang tasty

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back