'20 FL WR Leonard Manuel

Kid commits but gets cut loose late by our lying, unethical coaching staff - TERRIBLE.

- Bruin

Except for accidentally seeing one of his posts that somebody quotes, I don't have to worry about that one. :dance:

I understand why people think this but I would offer two points

The majority of commitments do stick and only commit and sign w one school

If you feel this way the recruiting forum seems like an odd place for you to reside

I would bet there is a correlation between decommitments and early commitments.

If you feel this way the recruiting forum seems like an odd place for you to reside
I was just thinking the same thing

My post mainly about the fact that commitment does not mean what it used to mean. I think it means "favorite right now" to a good many players. I try not to get too bent out of shape either way, as signing day is what matters most. I get excited when we get a big time commit, though, like the rest of us. It may have sounded cynical, but it is the nature of the times. Commitment does not mean commitment unless you add "right now" to it.

No matter where this youngster ends up, he has brought positive attention to Tennessee which will, without question, help Tennessee get in the door with more talent in his class. Every school wishes they were accepting his commitment yesterday. All of them.

My post mainly about the fact that commitment does not mean what it used to mean. I think it means "favorite right now" to a good many players. I try not to get too bent out of shape either way, as signing day is what matters most. I get excited when we get a big time commit, though, like the rest of us. It may have sounded cynical, but it is the nature of the times. Commitment does not mean commitment unless you add "right now" to it.
I don't get as excited as I used to nor as disappointed as I used to. I still love to follow recruiting, I just dont get bent out of shape over it anymore.

Well yeah you can at least he can be a silent. You can say "listen you have a lot of football ahead of you and we are going to be watching you and supporting you but commitments mean something so lets wait to till you are further along in your career to make that huge decision so we both know its the right one."

And then that kid says, "Hey coach, kick rocks. I'll take my talent to Gainesville."

In certain situations, schools are slaves to the kid, and vice-versa. You just have to hope he stays committed, knowing full well, there is a good chance he doesn't. Nature of the beast. Coaches understand that. Emotional fans have a harder time grasping it.

Reactions: 3 people
well with that well thought out argument...I guess I am wrong. Sorry all for having an opinion on here and discussing!

Oy vey the feelings on the VN are strong. No one said you should apologize for having an opinion. You'd absolutely take his commitment or you'd not have a job. It's part of what you have to do to compete.

When would coach tickle-me-newt take a commitment? Absolutely nothing negative happens if he decommits, Butch knows there's less than a 50% chance he stays, but it's great attention in a very slow part of the season for college football news. The job is a bit tougher than you think, you can't just turn kids down while everyone else is hoping they'll commit.

You have to recruit kids from 2020 as well as the kids who are on your current roster. 20% of the guys you have, at minimum, consider looking around while enrolled. You recruit non stop.

The fact that more is public now is all that changed. Most fans don't know Marcus Vick had committed to Tennessee, but if Twitter was around they would have lost their minds. The inclusion of fans in the process is the biggest difference. All coaches will take a commit from a player like Manuel any time he wants. Including the newt, if he wanted to win. Recruiting is impossibly difficult, you work way too hard for big names to tweet your name, a commitment is just more positive attention that gets you in a few more doors. The chances of this staff being here in 2020 isn't great. You take the love you get when you get it.

And then that kid says, "Hey coach, kick rocks. I'll take my talent to Gainesville."

In certain situations, schools are slaves to the kid, and vice-versa. You just have to hope he stays committed, knowing full well, there is a good chance he doesn't. Nature of the beast. Coaches understand that. Emotional fans have a harder time grasping it.

Or you could try and change the culture...if that means he says screw you and ends up a gator then he wasnt worth it anyway.

Needless to say I wouldnt make it as a head coach very long lol

Any chance at 6'5" he could be switched to Running Back?

Prototypical size?

That they mean about 80% less than they did when I started following recruiting, then yes.

By this time next year chip Kelly will be offering him, perhaps as Tennessees coach. More will change than this youngster can anticipate, you enjoy being part of his moment and invest that attention immediately. That's the payoff.

Once upon a time Bobby Ross and Lou Holtz went to flip a stud middle lb from Cinci to William & Mary. The decommitment has been a part of coaching forever. Never stop recruiting. Invest the positive news as quickly as you can. Truthfully it's bigger news for Beards resume than Tennessees at this point. The beard is hot.

Well yeah you can at least he can be a silent. You can say "listen you have a lot of football ahead of you and we are going to be watching you and supporting you but commitments mean something so lets wait to till you are further along in your career to make that huge decision so we both know its the right one."

If he committed to a team like OSU, people would say, "Wow. They're already off to a great start to their '20 class." Why can't you just appreciate the positive now instead of inserting negative where none exists?

Reactions: 5 people
If he committed to a team like OSU, people would say, "Wow. They're already off to a great start to their '20 class." Why can't you just appreciate the positive now instead of inserting negative where none exists?

Exactly. At the very least, we have an early lead for a great future prospect. Whenever I see a player with an offer list like Manuel's commit to Tennessee, I feel very encouraged regardless of what class he's in.

Reactions: 2 people

Because I have an opinion and its not always puppies and rainbows.

That's an odd argument that people make. If newt contradicted himself by lauding 2020 recruits to OSU, that would be one thing, but you can't debate the topic based on what some other people might say. People do this all the time. We are not a collective. Some people would say "Harbaugh sleeps over with freshmen" if he committed to Michigan, but that has nothing to do with Newts pov. You can't argue against one mans views based on how hypothetical people may respond if things went differently. Well, you can, it just doesn't make any sense.

If he committed to Florida people would say, "I knew it"? Some? All? If he committed to Ole Miss people would say, "won't be long the ncaa is coming"? If he committed to Memphis people would say, "Memphis pulling 5s while we get 3s"? If he committed to Texas people would say, "Herman is creating a monster in Texas"? If he committed to Fla Atl people would say, "lane is a scumbag"? If he committed to Kansas people would say, "how long until he decommits"? If he committed to Wisconsin people would say, "I love tacos".

:rock:

Exactly. Corbin committed to UT, decommitted a couple weeks later, and is now committed to another school. Kids view commitments like they view high school relationships. They often don't truly know what they are looking for and when something that looks good comes along, they grab it. Then they realize that maybe they like that other good looking thing over there and grab it instead. If the NCAA really wanted to stop the commit/decommit issue, they could make a rule that prospective student athletes are not permitted to verbally commit to any school until at minimum 12 months from their scheduled signing day with their prospective university. Then you would have any commits for the 19 football class until after the 18 class has their signing day.

It won't happen, but it is the only way to stop it. Schools are not going to stop taking early commitments, because it brings their schools name up in social media and when the kids go to camps and such.

The NCAA doesn't have the authority to keep a kid from committing. Those are just words and they can't control such words. All they can do is make the rule that a school can't offer before the senior year. Committing without an offer is silly, although players this good assume they'd get the offer when allowed.

The NCAA doesn't have the authority to keep a kid from committing. Those are just words and they can't control such words. All they can do is make the rule that a school can't offer before the senior year. Committing without an offer is silly, although players this good assume they'd get the offer when allowed.

The rule already exists that a school cannot offer a kid in writing until the August before their SR year, but that won't stop them from making verbal offers. Like you said, those are but words that don't mean anything in reality. Even the written offers don't mean much. They don't bind anyone to anything.

VN Store

Back