The Weightlifters Thread

I went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks and now that I am home to American food, I can't stop eating. I've gained 10 lbs in 3 weeks.

No dinosaurs, no ceviche (I have had ceviche I loved, but I've also had terrible ceviche so I am always afraid to pay for it).

Costa Rica has good food. It's simple, but good. I was just on adventure all the time, so I didn't eat a ton.

Good luck! Huge numbers, but why such a discrepancy in squats and deads?

Well I didn't start entering contests until 2014, so it had been 20 yrs since I deadlifted. So a combination of bad technique and I'm built for bench and squats. I weigh 350 short thick arms and big tight belly. I'm not nasty flabby either, just solid round. So the short arms and big belly is great on bench but kills me on deads.

How do you guys make eating clean easy(-er)? I know it's not going to be easy, but I'm just trying to cut some fat off and then eat clean to add muscle. I plan on cutting for 6-8 weeks.

I need some food ideas and how you guys meal prep to make sure you're food is made and ready to go for a couple of days.

One thing I always do is bake chicken breasts and chicken thighs together. Thighs have a little more fat and like 2 grams less protein but it's worth it to sub in some boneless thighs when the food actually is tastier and stays juicer later in the weeks.

For taste, Mrs dash,hot sauce, curry powder, garlic pepper and lemon pepper are a must and give u variety.

How do you guys make eating clean easy(-er)? I know it's not going to be easy, but I'm just trying to cut some fat off and then eat clean to add muscle. I plan on cutting for 6-8 weeks.

I need some food ideas and how you guys meal prep to make sure you're food is made and ready to go for a couple of days.

Make sure to lather, scrub, rinse, and dry your food when preparing meals. Best way to eat clean.

Reactions: 2 people
Make sure to lather, scrub, rinse, and dry your food when preparing meals. Best way to eat clean.

hahahah well done

I'm not a believer in the so-called "clean eating" myth either.

Create a caloric defecit. Train smart. Track your progress.

Eating clean equates to nothing.

P.S.

I completed Layne Norton's PH3 program last Saturday, the 20th.

I had a few circumstances that curtailed my performance from the beginning of the program to the testing day last Saturday. Regardless, here are my #'s.

Estimated Training Max PR Max
Bench 300 335
Squat 315 365
Deadlift 375 455

I pulled 440 on deadlifts in late 2014 as well as squatted 330. Not great numbers but I'm pleased that I was able to break all my PR's after taking 2 months off of squats/deads just before beginning the program.

How does eating clean equate to nothing? Have you ever cut like physique or bodybuilding competitors?

To a put eating "clean" is an empty buzz word in bodybuilding circles. It basically means eating healthier and more natural foods.

The credit that I will give it is that by doing so you often eliminate unnecessary empty calories from your diet. Which then creates the calorie deficit needed.

To a put eating "clean" is an empty buzz word in bodybuilding circles. It basically means eating healthier and more natural foods.

The credit that I will give it is that by doing so you often eliminate unnecessary empty calories from your diet. Which then creates the calorie deficit needed.

There's quite a bit more to it than that. Getting your macros right or wrong could mean the difference in staying shredded and big or being shredded with much more muscle loss. It's a science to it for sure.

There's quite a bit more to it than that. Getting your macros right or wrong could mean the difference in staying shredded and big or being shredded with much more muscle loss. It's a science to it for sure.

I think most advocates of clean eating aren't into counting macros

I think most advocates of clean eating aren't into counting macros

Exactly.

I'm all for someone choosing healthier options with their diet but energy balance is the main determiner of whether or not an individual loses, gains, or maintains weight, not because he/she eats apples instead of doughnuts.

An individual can get fat from eating too many almonds and bananas just as someone can get shredded from eating brownies everyday.

Exactly.

I'm all for someone choosing healthier options with their diet but energy balance is the main determiner of whether or not an individual loses, gains, or maintains weight, not because he/she eats apples instead of doughnuts.

An individual can get fat from eating too many almonds and bananas just as someone can get shredded from eating brownies everyday.

Going to be hard to get shredded on a brownie diet. And I beg to differ on your opinion over apples compared to doughnuts. My body looks completely different on different diets even at the same weight. I think you may want research some of your opinions a bit more. Caloric intake coupled with which way you decide to burn fat is what really changes your physique and performance. Energy balance can only do so much. I would love to see a person drinking sodas get show level abs.

SN: Hodge Twins aren't vegans anymore. Hilarious what they would do for more subscribers.

Going to be hard to get shredded on a brownie diet. And I beg to differ on your opinion over apples compared to doughnuts. My body looks completely different on different diets even at the same weight. I think you may want research some of your opinions a bit more. Caloric intake coupled with which way you decide to burn fat is what really changes your physique and performance. Energy balance can only do so much. I would love to see a person drinking sodas get show level abs.

SN: Hodge Twins aren't vegans anymore. Hilarious what they would do for more subscribers.

Energy intake is what influences body composition. This is a fundamental principle concerning exercise physiology. If you're under the assumption that energy balance only plays a part in determining the makeup of one's physique then I would suggest you research reputable sources such as Eric Helms, Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, and Layne Norton.

It may be that I was confusing with my previous message. I'm certainly not implying that everyone should follow flexible dieting, nor was I conveying that contest prep participants should largely consume sodas and brownies each and every day.

Energy intake is what influences body composition. This is a fundamental principle concerning exercise physiology. If you're under the assumption that energy balance only plays a part in determining the makeup of one's physique then I would suggest you research reputable sources such as Eric Helms, Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, and Layne Norton.

It may be that I was confusing with my previous message. I'm certainly not implying that everyone should follow flexible dieting, nor was I conveying that contest prep participants should largely consume sodas and brownies each and every day.

Oh okay, I know all about the energy balancing and all. I also know what sweets will do to your body especially when you get into the single digits of BF%.

Alright guys help me out on the nutrition side of things.

I've been on a 1,500 calorie limit for a while now & only trying to eat one cheat meal per week. I cook literally all of my main meals on the George Foreman. Every night I'll have either shrimp, turkey burgers, or chicken with a side of edamame or zucchini. My snacks are planters cashews, organic bananas, isopure protein shakes, nature valley honey oats bars, & sun chips every now & then. There's hardly any variety in my diet at all.

I've never been able to eat breakfast because it absolutely destroys my stomach for the rest of the day so my first meal is usually around noon. When I calculate everything I've eaten throughout the day on my fitness pal, it usually only comes out to 1,000 calories which is insane...I know I should be eating more. I know you have to be strict if you want to see results, I just feel like maybe I'm doing it to an extreme level.

I guess the question is, Is it okay to eat other junk foods/fast food as long as you're still hitting macros/staying in a deficit? I feel like I'm starving myself & I never have energy because I'm trying to eat as few carbs as possible, but anytime I eat something bad I feel so guilty & immediately regret it.

1500 calories? Are you a female ?
If not, That is ridiculously low for a male.
You can't sustain that. Do you train? Run? Play sports? Do anything athletic?
When u actually go back to eating normal amount calories your gonna add back double the weight you lost.
That is a very bad idea. Your metabolism is going to slow down to help conserve your energy and you will actually be hurting your weight loss.

In short, that little amount of calories is a bad idea

(One thing I found when I'm cutting, ***** a protein shake. I need all the actual solid food calories I can take. It keeps from having cravings)

F' all that "no carb" diet stuff.

For me, that only works when I need to loss a couple pounds and shed quick body fat.
I'm no expert, mostly speaking off experience but eat your green fibrous carbs. Eat as much as u can fit in ur meals comfortably.

strength training , HIIT and sprints will help drop fat and build muscle mass at same time as a beginner.

VN Store

Back