Game clock

The refs have a remote to stop the clock too.

And that may be the case. If so, then they could have accidentally hit it. All this to say that we can't just assume it stopped because a whistle blew. Not Rutgers' fault, not Tennessee's fault, but something goofed up. Let something like that happen in a men's game and UT be on the wrong end and we might get a more complete explanation from TBA staff.

From the SEC website: http://www.secsports.com/local/compliance/07_bkc.pdf

Precision Timing Devices. To control the game clocks at all basketball games, each Conference Institution will utilize the Precision Timing System. The system utilizes the officials’ whistles to stop the clock and the officials have the capability to start the clock with pocket devices. The host institution must still provide a game clock operator at the scorer’s table to serve as the primary clock operator.

So the clock can be controlled at the table

And that may be the case. If so, then they could have accidentally hit it. All this to say that we can't just assume it stopped because a whistle blew. Not Rutgers' fault, not Tennessee's fault, but something goofed up. Let something like that happen in a men's game and UT be on the wrong end and we might get a more complete explanation from TBA staff

I read that all TBA staff has to do is change btteries before every game. It is totally controlled by the refs on court and the official in the bench... so tenn or tba had nuthin to do with it...

From ESPN...

The Southeastern and Big East conferences said Tuesday that both leagues' coordinators of officials spoke with the game officials and clock operator.

"The officials discharged their duties properly and there is no indication that anything improperly was done by anyone involved," the SEC said in a statement. "There will be no further comment on this issue as the leagues, institutions, coaches and teams look to move forward."

From ESPN...

The Southeastern and Big East conferences said Tuesday that both leagues' coordinators of officials spoke with the game officials and clock operator.

"The officials discharged their duties properly and there is no indication that anything improperly was done by anyone involved," the SEC said in a statement. "There will be no further comment on this issue as the leagues, institutions, coaches and teams look to move forward."

Nuf said.

glad we pulled off the win and have the outright #1 ranking. was a little strange winning in that fashion, but i will take the W

was operated by a UT official--and that person apparently got a little TOO involved in the game and stopped the clock, probably when he or she saw NA with the ball or get fouled. There was no clock malfunction, and the officials did not stop the clock--the clock operator stopped it before a whistle was blown or an arm raised, and screwed up. :cray:

was operated by a UT official--and that person apparently got a little TOO involved in the game and stopped the clock, probably when he or she saw NA with the ball or get fouled. There was no clock malfunction, and the officials did not stop the clock--the clock operator stopped it before a whistle was blown or an arm raised, and screwed up. :cray:

not quite

The game clock can only be stopped by an official's whistle, according to Tim Reese, the arena manager.
"Officials are using a precision-timing device, which is used by the SEC and most of the major conferences," he said. "It's tied into the control panel, and controls the game clock."
In addition to the whistle and an attached microphone, the officials also are armed with a belt pack, which sends a wireless signal to the clock.

Adams: Rutgers gets a lesson in clock mechanics : Columns : GoVolsXtra.com

We won the game, period. If you want to get into debating what officials do or do not get right in game and it's impact on a game and hollering foul, then we would have to replay ever game because calls always have an impact. The facts show that what ever happened was in the hands of the officials, but we still have nitwits out here trying to blame UT in some way.

Rutgers lost to Stadford with .1 on the clock was referred to in the columns noted above. Maybe some of Rutgers problem in stupid fouls.

Divine intervention! Same thing happened with Georgetown vs. Villanova except under slightly different circumstances with .1 left and the score tied.
That must have been an SEC official on the shot clock.
While I believe we should have lost, I'll take the "W!"
Just like Pat said: "I don't know how it happened."

So funny.

Fact #1 When a referee whistle is blown, it makes a loud sound.

Fact #2 The only way for the clock to stop is by the referee's whistle.

Fact #3 There is no sound of a referee whistle until after 0:00 is on the clock.

Fact #4 The clock stopped at .2 seconds and then restarted again a little over a second later.

One of the above "facts" is not true.

A win is a win sure. But sometimes it's better as a fan to say "Something wasn't right.." and not to make excuses for an obvious questionable situation.

A win is a win sure. But sometimes it's better as a fan to say "Something wasn't right.." and not to make excuses for an obvious questionable situation.

Of course it's a questionable situation; the clock does not appear to have behaved like anybody expected it to. That does not, however, mean that anybody deliberately cheated. The problem with an "automatic" system of any kind is that when things go awry, nobody knows what the heck happened.

The nice thing about this situation -- unlike the Tuck Rule game, and Nebraska's Fifth Down, and the 1972 Olympic basketball gold medal game, and the Don Denkinger game, etc. etc., ad nauseam -- is that it literally does not matter at all. Unlike men's basketball, there are only about 10 good teams in the whole country. Both UT and RU will be playing deep into the tournament; both are likely to be #1 or #2 seeds. There's a good chance they'll get to play this game all over again, when it actually matters. However things turn out in March or April, neither team is going to care at all how this meaningless promotional February game turned out. As the UT-UConn series has demonstrated, midseason games in women's basketball don't mean anything.

The bottom line is Tennessee won and nothing will change that. I just watched my DVR and the timer on the DVR indicated that 1.3 seconds elapsed from the time the clock stopped at 0.2 and when it started again. The moment it stopped Anosike had the ball in her hands and was still airbourne on the way down with the rebound. I just would have liked to see the game decided with some better officiating earlier in the game rather than this ocntroversial ending.

well you did not watch it at full speed

There is no doubt that the clock *should* have run out before Anosike even got the rebound. The foul occurred after the clock *should* have read zero. What is unacceptable is the officals watched the replay and still blew it. I am an official and a TN fan but that was just wrong. Rutgers should have won the game. Unfortunately those things tend to even out over time - let's hope it doesn't affect the Lady Vols in March.
IMO you are part right. The clock should have read 00:0 with Nicky on the line. I still believe she was fouled before time expired.

Enough about the clock already. What has failed to be mentioned is the fact that the foul should have been considered a Flagrant Technical (grabbed by the shoulders and pulled down, no attempt to go for the ball). Regardless of whether the time ran out or not, she would have been awarded 2 shots...End of Story.....but they missed that one too.

Rutgers Grad. Live in Nashville (unfortunatley)

Rutgers was robbed. Either by human error, or clock. THE POINT IS THAT THE CLOCK FROZE.

I understand all the excitement of getting a victory, but the fact that Pat Summit will not concede to the fact that the clock did indeed freeze and RU won the game, demonstrates her lack of class. Also, there there was no foul because the player went down in an act. RU opponent merely put her hand on her shoulder. VOL ball sucks.

Summit HAS NO CLASS. Forfeit the game Pat. It's the right thing to do. I do not see how two coaches, both in the top of the league, see this call differently. But your made in NCAA mafia Pat. Now NCAA ball, esp VOL ball is suspect. But you got your victory. What comes around, goes around Pat. I hope never to watch an SEC again in my lifetime.

Something happened to that clock.

you have no clue do you? Take your crap elsewhere

I have no clue?? I am simply reiterating what ESPN analysts documented.

Did you see ESPN highlights??? What is your opinion of that?

Summit will not get honest. She is a LIAR. That's really great for women's sports......

Secondly, didn't you already feel that way after last year's championship game?

Rutgers got beat last year. The weren't expected to make it that far. The Imus incident was unfortunate. But it did put RU on front page headlines.

Last year's game wasn't even close. so what on earth are you referring to????

Rutgers got beat last year. The weren't expected to make it that far. The Imus incident was unfortunate. But it did put RU on front page headlines.

Last year's game wasn't even close. so what on earth are you referring to????
It was an attempt at a light-hearted swipe since we beat you in the championship game last year.

Rutgers Grad. Live in Nashville (unfortunatley)

Rutgers was robbed. Either by human error, or clock. THE POINT IS THAT THE CLOCK FROZE.

I understand all the excitement of getting a victory, but the fact that Pat Summit will not concede to the fact that the clock did indeed freeze and RU won the game, demonstrates her lack of class. Also, there there was no foul because the player went down in an act. RU opponent merely put her hand on her shoulder. VOL ball sucks.

Summit HAS NO CLASS. Forfeit the game Pat. It's the right thing to do. I do not see how two coaches, both in the top of the league, see this call differently. But your made in NCAA mafia Pat. Now NCAA ball, esp VOL ball is suspect. But you got your victory. What comes around, goes around Pat. I hope never to watch an SEC again in my lifetime.

Something happened to that clock.

It is always amusing how human eyes and their brain receptors can watch the same incident and "see" completely different things. Why would Anosike "act" like she was pulled down when it caused her to not come close to making the basket? Makes no sense. Pat didn't have anything to do with the clock, Stringer even said so. Do you really think Stringer would forfeit the game if circumstances were reversed? Get real, and please do never watch an SEC (sic) again.

Why would Anosike "act" like she was pulled down when it caused her to not come close to making the basket? Makes no sense. Pat didn't have anything to do with the clock, Stringer even said so.
THE POINT IS MOOT!:crazy: The clock went into an SAC time warp. The 2nd half was 20 mins and 1.3 seconds long. This is a documented fact. The foul occured after the game was over. The South is still vindictive because it lost the Civil War; and will go to any means necessary to recover what dignity was lost. If it isn't economics, it'll be sports.:eek:lol: UT got caught cheating, plain and simple. Stringer said it is unexceptable. But on this forum it is.

or maybe they're just slow because they need 20 mins and 1.3 seconds to complete a half.

What do you know? You probably didn't get past 7th grade.

What's next yo momma jokes. Seriously what coach would forfeit a game when the outcome was not influenced by their actions? Have you studied what the cause of the error was? Do some research then go blame the person or technology responsible!

VN Store

Back