I LOVE how 17 points

It's been beaten to death, but it's pretty simple.

It was more than the 17 point lead. Tennessee was doing everything they wanted offensively, defensively, on special teams. The crowd was going nuts.

Oklahoma QB couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Etc, etc, etc.

And it wasn't a situation where Tennessee made a huge mistake that swung momentum in a big way. Or that Oklahoma caught fire.

It was a slow, painful progression toward the final outcome.

They didn't have to do anything special. They just had to do something. 3 quarters, they did nothing. One drive leading to a missed field goal.

Reactions: 15 people
And that helps your case for Butch how????

Btw, I agree. Had Oregon not pulled Mariota and all the other starters after 3 qtrs, theyd have scored another 21 points easily and we'd have lost 80-14. And to be clear, this does not bolster your argument on Butch's behalf.

You're right man. I mean a good coach would have taken that super duper talented team and beat those darn Ducks.

You are not understanding why people are upset. I agree, 17 points is a small advantage. However, Butch thought it necessary at that point to play it safe. It's just dumb to call off the dogs against a top 25 team with a 17 point lead and expect to win.

And most of the pitchfork wielding posts today assume those of us calling for a chill pill aren't pissed as well. While I have defended the coach today I haven't defended the coaching. There are things that I didn't think made sense. But... You gotta dance with who you brung and he's amassed a lot of talent. I guess some of us are inclined to give it more time before reaching for the pitchforks. But we are all still pretty pissed/disappointed

Reactions: 2 people

It was more than the 17 point lead. Tennessee was doing everything they wanted offensively, defensively, on special teams. The crowd was going nuts.

Etc, etc, etc.

And it wasn't a situation where Tennessee made a huge mistake that swung momentum in a big way. Or that Oklahoma caught fire.

They didn't have to do anything special. They just had to do something. 3 quarters, they did nothing. One drive leading to a missed field goal.

Look guys! You got yourselves a gator helping you out. LOL

Reactions: 2 people
What?? Jesus dude, just stop. The fact is that no Tennessee team, in 124 years of football, ever lost as badly as Jones did in 2013 vs Oregon...ever, since 1891. And now, no Tennessee team, in 124 years of football, has ever blown a 17 point lead in Neyland Stadium...ever, since 1891. And now one coach owns both those records...Lyle Allen "Butch" Jones. You can speculate all you want, make any excuse that you want, but dems be the facts.

In his defense, no team ever scored the way the ducks did. That was a revolution of scoring.

Etc, etc, etc.

You know you and lawgator really need to stop injecting common sense into our volnation meltdowns 👍

And most of the pitchfork wielding posts today assume those of us calling for a chill pill aren't pissed as well. While I have defended the coach today I haven't defended the coaching. There are things that I didn't think made sense. But... You gotta dance with who you brung and he's amassed a lot of talent. I guess some of us are inclined to give it more time before reaching for the pitchforks. But we are all still pretty pissed/disappointed

Look y'all. There's that logic thing poking its head up. LOL

Etc, etc, etc.

Sums it up pretty well.

You are not understanding why people are upset. I agree, 17 points is a small advantage. However, Butch thought it necessary at that point to play it safe. It's just dumb to call off the dogs against a top 25 team with a 17 point lead and expect to win.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch Jones is a great recruiter but a lousy football coach. We probably cannot find a better recruiter than he is..which means we are stuck losing waaaay more games than we should for a few more years.

Reactions: 1 person
It was the largest blown lead at Neyland for us. No we weren't up fifty, but it sucks to blow a big lead so get off the high horse.
We've blown a bigger lead at Neyland. Blew a 21-0 lead against South Carolina in 2007 and fell behind 24-21. We just got lucky after that when we missed the game tying FG on the next to last play of regulation, but we false started which is a dead ball penalty and made the longer FG to tie it. That was one incredible lucky season in the SEC games.

Most coaches know when you play a team with a explosive offense ,your best Defense is to slow the game Down! This staff don't understand that.

I agree that the hurry up offense made no sense in the second half. If the game plan is to shove the football up your butt and try to hatch it then slow the game plan down accordingly

Reactions: 3 people

One person says Butch turned down the steam, instead of turning it up. Another then says that the o-line couldn't hold long enough for plays to develop, etc., etc., etc. Which was it?

Let's say you run 75 plays a game with a up tempo offense And one of those plays is a dive up the middle and you run it 35 times for 33 yards on first and 2nd down would you keep running it?

Most coaches know when you play a team with a explosive offense ,your best Defense is to slow the game Down! This staff don't understand that.
There was NOTHING any coach could've done in that game. You and yours may argue otherwise but that's reality.

17 was not but 20 was, see where we are coming from?

Honestly no. I don't see how a thinking person can look at the trajectory this team is on and how far the program has come and have major issues. Disappointed in a double OT loss? Yes. But for those calling him a bad coach etc are just out of their minds.

VN Store

Back