Yves Pons commits to Tennessee per Grant Ramey

The highlights of him in this thread were impressive. His dominance over shorter white guys is inspiring. Looks like another runner and jumper but not a dominant player. The scouting report says athletic but not overly skilled. A project player and at 6'-6" still does not give us the tall inside player that we need.

The highlights of him in this thread were impressive. His dominance over shorter white guys is inspiring. Looks like another runner and jumper but not a dominant player. The scouting report says athletic but not overly skilled. A project player and at 6'-6" still does not give us the tall inside player that we need.

Missed the 6'8" and 6'10" post guys that are committed?

Reactions: 6 people

Good thing he will be a wing and we aren't recruiting him as a 5.

Reactions: 2 people
Its easy to get duped by a bunch of impressive dunks. Parker had impressive dunking skills in HS also...hasn't translated to much college success yet. Can someone more knowledgeable than myself decipher from the highlight video what other skills Pons demonstrates that will cross over to college success quickly?

Its easy to get duped by a bunch of impressive dunks. Parker had impressive dunking skills in HS also...hasn't translated to much college success yet. Can someone more knowledgeable than myself decipher from the highlight video what other skills Pons demonstrates that will cross over to college success quickly?

Pons is 6 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than Kwe and has the arms of a 7 footer. And he's only 17. Scouts say he can easily carry 235 pounds.

Reactions: 1 person

With his wide open style, he's very foul prone. Be interesting to see if he can stay on the floor playing for Barnes.
Mess with his style and teach him to play under control and you can have a completely different player.
i see Johnson logging more minutes.

The difference between Pons and Parker is that Pons already has an NBA body. 6'6 230 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan. Parker is a 2 guard in a point guard's body. In college, Pons can guard the 1-5 and Parker is limited to guarding just the 1-2 position.

I think Pons will more than likely be coming off the bench for most of the year. A high energy guy that will be guarding the opposing teams best scorer. He is a taller, more explosive Armani Moore.

The difference between Pons and Parker is that Pons already has an NBA body. 6'6 230 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan. Parker is a 2 guard in a point guard's body. In college, Pons can guard the 1-5 and Parker is limited to guarding just the 1-2 position.

I think Pons will more than likely be coming off the bench for most of the year. A high energy guy that will be guarding the opposing teams best scorer. He is a taller, more explosive Armani Moore.

Plus I think Barnes can fix Pon's shot like he did with Punters. Watching his highlights, his shot is really funky looking but goes in. Should be an easy fix.

Thank you for the feedback, but to be honest it all sounded like wishful thinking. He's an intriguing prospect no doubt, but it appears to be all potential at this point? I didn't see anything from the highlight video to make me think Pons can shoot from more than 3' while being guarded. His shots were unguarded set shots and those looked pretty awkward? I didn't see him guarding point guards on the perimeter then centers in the post?

Right now it appears UT's getting nothing more than a 6'-6" tall athlete? I'm no scout, so maybe I'm missing something from the video? Barnes has proven an ability to teach the game if a player desires to improve and it appears Pons has a lot of athleticism to work with.

Thank you for the feedback, but to be honest it all sounded like wishful thinking. He's an intriguing prospect no doubt, but it appears to be all potential at this point? I didn't see anything from the highlight video to make me think Pons can shoot from more than 3' while being guarded. His shots were unguarded set shots and those looked pretty awkward? I didn't see him guarding point guards on the perimeter then centers in the post?

Right now it appears UT's getting nothing more than a 6'-6" tall athlete? I'm no scout, so maybe I'm missing something from the video? Barnes has proven an ability to teach the game if a player desires to improve and it appears Pons has a lot of athleticism to work with.

One more positive: he looks to be an elite shot blocker, and he's the best kind -- doesn't look like he slings it in the stands, but instead sets up a teammate to get on a run out.

Both play great defense as well. I would like to see Barnes try to mix in some 1-2-1-1 or 2-2-1 full court traps this next year with the athleticism these guys posses. This team has NCAA tourney potential next year.

These are the type of players we will get at Tennessee. (Guys with potential). The reason Pons is such a big get is because he has the best potential out of any player Barnes has recruited here in the last 2-3 years. Are they top 10 recruits? No, they have potential and require more development than the Malik monks and Lonzo Balls of the world.

Impressive athlete with major hops and a nice build. Like the way he takes the ball to the basket. I think he'll be able to do the same in college--perhaps not as easily, but he's a good looking prospect. Did not see any mid-range shots in the U17 video. I do not think his shot is awkward: maybe he doesn't quite jump enough when he shoots from the three line, but the ball rotation/backspin on a couple of his shots was perfect.

Then don't just watch his highlight videos, typically a highlight video doesn't include a guy playing perimeter defense. Go read his write ups on draft express who is the most well known and respected international scout in the business. You have to understand that many of the games he has played in aren't televised or videoed, therefore a lot of things he may showcase may not be included in the highlights that you're watching that all came from the same tournament.

Then don't just watch his highlight videos, typically a highlight video doesn't include a guy playing perimeter defense. Go read his write ups on draft express who is the most well known and respected international scout in the business. You have to understand that many of the games he has played in aren't televised or videoed, therefore a lot of things he may showcase may not be included in the highlights that you're watching that all came from the same tournament.

I read post #61, is that what you are referring to? It was encouraging but I didn't know how much stock to place in it. These stars are so subjective. 3* Grant Williams All Freshman SEC for example vs the collection of 4* / 5*'s at Auburn who aren't producing much ATM. International prospects appear to be an even bigger guess than the home grown variety - its really hard to know what we're getting. Is Pons the next Dominique Wilkins or another Jackob Johnson?

I read post #61, is that what you are referring to? It was encouraging but I didn't know how much stock to place in it. These stars are so subjective. 3* Grant Williams All Freshman SEC for example vs the collection of 4* / 5*'s at Auburn who aren't producing much ATM. International prospects appear to be an even bigger guess than the home grown variety - its really hard to know what we're getting. Is Pons the next Dominique Wilkins or another Jackob Johnson?

There is no such thing as a 100% certainty and that appears to be what you're looking for, if that's the case nothing anyone says is going to help ease your concern about a recruit being/not being a potential bust.

VN Store

Back