Yves Pons commits to Tennessee per Grant Ramey

No Barnes never leaves Knoxville. He only leaves his office to go to practice, games, and home. Next year he will not be traveling to road games. He will coach via FaceTime.

He must have great bladder control then.

Reactions: 1 person
That's what this team was lacking is another impact player who can take over a game. I think he'll make a good replacement for Mostella. Go Vols!

Imo, more of a replacement for Hubbs. But, who cares who he replaces along as UT got him. Walker and Kent meet our needs better. But this kid has elite athleticism and is a decent 3 point shooter. He doesn't have Hubbs mid-range game, yet. Mainly because when he drives to the hole, he is trying to break the backboard with an electrifying dunk. Barnes' has hit a homerun with this recruiting class, imo, Walker,6'8, power forward and Kent, the 6'10 center gives as the size we need. Top it off, with Pons, a 6'6 small forward, that will have TBA going crazy with SC Top 10 dunks. The future looks bright for the Vols basketball. Now, I want another, hopefully elite PG and I think we can contend for the SEC regular season championship, in 2 years and be in the NCAA Tourney, next year

Reactions: 2 people
Imo, more of a replacement for Hubbs. But, who cares who he replaces along as UT got him. Walker and Kent meet our needs better. But this kid has elite athleticism and is a decent 3 point shooter. He doesn't have Hubbs mid-range game, yet. Mainly because when he drives to the hole, he is trying to break the backboard with an electrifying dunk. Barnes' has hit a homerun with this recruiting class, imo, Walker,6'8, power forward and Kent, the 6'10 center gives as the size we need. Top it off, with Pons, a 6'6 small forward, that will have TBA going crazy with SC Top 10 dunks. The future looks bright for the Vols basketball. Now, I want another, hopefully elite PG and I think we can contend for the SEC regular season championship, in 2 years and be in the NCAA Tourney, next year

Read a report about Kent last week and it wasn't good. Said he was a poor defender, non physical and bad rebounder. I am not expecting much from him.

Can't teach size. Give him some time to develop.

I agree. But, I did watch the New Jersey Prep A Championship and I was somewhat disappointed. Kent did get in early foul trouble and his team did lose. The team they played did have a couple of D1 commitments, including a 6'8 kid going to Syracuse. But, he didn't look impressive on the boards and his supposedly good mid-range jumper was off, but he did hustle and had a block or 2 and was a great high-low passer. But Imo, he needs to redshirt and put on some muscle, b4 he is ready for the SEC. I think he can be a similar to Kornet at Vandy, eventually.

But, Imo, Walker is ready to contribute, immediately. He is a true 6'8 and is ready to play. Walker plays defense, rebounds and has a competitive fire. I hope he is next years, Williams, with 3 more inches.

Poor mans Kawhi Leonard? Time will tell I suppose. Regardless, huge get for Barnes. We are a legit big man away from competing for the SEC next season, imo.

Am I the first one in with I can't wait to hear Kessling pronouncing that name?

The 3 or 4 games I have watched - Kent seems to be more impressive than his teammate Deng Gak (4 star 6'11 Center committed to Miami). Also the few box scores I can find also show Kent is the better scorer than Gak.

Just an observation from a limited sample size. FWIW

Read a report about Kent last week and it wasn't good. Said he was a poor defender, non physical and bad rebounder. I am not expecting much from him.

per his AAU coach:
"Zach Kent is one of the most skilled big men in the country,” Coverdale said, “and I coached Eric Boateng, who was a McDonald's All-American and ended up going to Duke and currently is playing overseas. Zach is a lot more skilled than Eric was. I've seen a lot of the kids in the country this year and at his size I haven't seen anyone as skilled as him.
"He has a lot of weapons inside and out, but he's still putting it together. He's just learning to use them all. He can shoot it out to about 25 feet. Inside, he has great feet. He has jump-hooks with either hand and runners with either hand. He has counters. Once he gets that whole package together, he has a chance to do some special things.
"He's not a rim protector but he's a good athlete — a better athlete than you might think. He has good lateral feet and he's just learning to guard out on the perimeter because he's been inside so much.
"He has to become a better rebounder but that will happen with improved strength. Zach has the frame to add a good amount of weight and a good amount of strength. Once he's put some muscle on, he could become a pretty intimidating presence."

Regarding Kent, this staff feels he's very similar to Luke Kornet...not a big time rebounder at all, but a matchup problem who could develop into a very nice player down the road.

Looks like this should have been highlights from an entire season, not just a tournament.

giphy.gif

Great to see the 4* drought come to an end. I think this prevents us from entering next season without anyone who arrived with more than 3*. Hopefully, there are also some hidden gems elsewhere in the class.

I'm not going to hold my breath on a roster packed with 3* talent ever competing with KY for an SEC regular season title, but I could see them making the NCAAs. They stayed in that race this year until the last two weeks of the season.

Reactions: 2 people
Four star recruit and I believe that this may be UT's first international recruit in basketball.

This team is going to be fun to watch next season.

VN Store

Back