Your favorite John Ward play call of all-time?

Twisting..... Turning..... Diiiiiiving into the endzone...
Give.....Him......Six.....

Reactions: 1 person
"Willie Gault, ladies and gentlemen, is running all the way to the state capitol"! "Give...... Him........ Six!" "Touchdown BIG ORANGE"!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

My favorite of all time was "Phillips runs through, around and over defenders of South Carolina"!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I was in the process of developing a small gas utility company in 1984. I called Mr. Ward to see if he would allow me to use his voice along with the woman with the "British accent" to promote our natural gas company (we were not competitive with the company he made the ads for), he sent me a tape with about five ads for us to use. I remember being on hold waiting to talk to him - instead of music, he had himself doing one of the play calls featuring Conredge Holloway. He really didn't have to help, but he did and I appreciated it!

What a great voice. It's too hard to say a favorite, but one that comes to mind is typical of how descriptive he was.

"Mose Philips running through, around, over and underneath defenders from South Carolina."

We would mute the tv and turn up JW even though the radio was ahead of the tv. We didn't care. Totally worth it.

Goodah!
Give him six!
And that gentleman was fouled!
It's football time in TENNESSEE!!

Here's a song by Knoxville's Opposable Thumbs (Todd Steed) that captures the John Ward magic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdvssryoGU[/youtube]

It's been about 36 years since, but I can recall listening to a Vols basketball broadcast on the radio, with John Ward calling a sequence where a UT player took a shot and missed, we rebounded, shot and missed a couple more times before Bernard King put it back in. I can literally hear it in my head like it was yesterday:

"Shot...no good. Rebound, again no good.....tip no good....KINGGGG of the Volunteers!!!"

Reactions: 2 people
SaintLouisVol beat me to it, but I'll reiterate because I love it.

"Did he make it?"

"HE MADE IT!!!!"

I always liked how his voice could shift from 1950s-radio-announcer to drunk-guy-screaming-in-the-bar and back with relative ease.

He was hanging in the booth with Ole Bill Anderson.

My would be Give em Six! Touchdown Tennessee! And i can never forget the bootleg call when Peyton went untouched in to the End Zone against Bama! Wow i miss John Ward so much i wish he would work home games at least. When John Ward called Big Orange Football man that was the good ol" days!

"Bottom!"

whoops sorry......... wrong forum, but right John Ward

Almost always used for a made jumper but my favorite use of "Bottom" was:"........steal by Ellis, all alone on a break away, will he dunk it?........BOTTOM!!

John Ward just painted a picture that made you see what he was talking about whether it was football or basketball.

Give Him Six! Ray in the Ray! Good by Wood7! Ernie G of Tennessee! -- 15, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 60 yard Jeff Powell, Touchdown Big Orange. The best, boy do I miss him!

"And as the crowd begins to roar and roar and roar.....to the deafening cheers of 95,000 fans....the Volunteers coming out to the gate.....dressed in Orange and White. The crowd comes alive.....the Volunteers are ready....it's time, ladies and gentlemen.......IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!:

Been my alarm clock for the last year, ever since I found the ringtone.

Dude, where is the ringtone? I must have it.

VN Store

Back