Your favorite John Ward play call of all-time?

I don’t remember the year, but I remember Notre Dame was spanking us in the first half and Floyd Miley picked off a pass then I heard a “Floyd Miley can fly” and you just knew it was a pick six. Of course the Vols came back and won the game.

They were all great. Listening to Tennessee Football on a cool crisp fall Saturday afternoon will never be the same. Wish he were back in the booth.

^^^This^^^^ Ranking John Ward calls would be an exercise in futility. They were all gold. Turn down the volume on the tv and listen to Ward. Good times!

Reactions: 2 people
I’m biased. In 1995 we played Mississippi St. Shane Burton blocked a punt. It was a 5 yard scoop and score. Wards call of Shane moving 5 yards to score was great! Something like he lumbers to the 4 stumbles etc TD Shane Burton!

I don’t remember the year, but I remember Notre Dame was spanking us in the first half and Floyd Miley picked off a pass then I heard a “Floyd Miley can fly” and you just knew it was a pick six. Of course the Vols came back and won the game.

Miracle at South Bend. Awesome call.

This, and even better with the "4-3-2-1-...." before it and the "touchdown Tennessee!" after it. I tell my two small boys "touchdown" all the time, to which they reply in unison "Tennessee". Love that!:)

You know the greatest thing about when Ward would start that countdown of "the 4, the 3, the 2, the 1" is you already KNEW it was a touchdown so it's like the call provided double the excitement. Excitement from the call itself and excitement from knowing we scored! Ward was brilliant!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm partial to the Mose Phillips run where he broke like 27 tackles and went the length of the field.

I want to think this was in a driving rain also. John Ward was magic on that play.

"What say you, Bill Anderson?"

"Well now, there again, John ..."

"Thank you, Bill Anderson"

"Jeff Powell comes ROARING up the greensward of the SuperDome!"

Bittersweet: In the "Give "Em Six" video Ward said he, "will know when it's time," to step down.

At the presser announcing his retirement, "It's time."

"Grunfeld top of the key comes around right looks low, bounce pass low to King, King off the glass.....give it to him.''

Reactions: 1 person
Not a play call but all that he would say leading up to, "Its football time in Tn."

"It's good. No, it's no good"

1} "The give is to Berry--left side, twisting , turning, grinding for extra yardage goes the junior from Natchez MS" ---(said in a fast pace)

2) "Brooks starts to pump--won't---will pump now......BOTTOM. You can not give him that shot ! You can not give him that shot!

VN Store

Back