Your favorite John Ward play call of all-time?

He had the ability, that while describing a play, to speak parenthetically-like an aside in a stage production...almost kevin nealon subliminal message guy, which added great color to a basketball game.

Furthermore, in football, as someone mentioned, he was always spot on with down and distance. If the rush gained 3 yds on first down, you could count on it being 2nd and 7. Listening today, the gain of 3 turns into 2nd & 9.

Furthermore, in football, as someone mentioned, he was always spot on with down and distance. If the rush gained 3 yds on first down, you could count on it being 2nd and 7. Listening today, the gain of 3 turns into 2nd & 9.

that's on the spotter

All of them! John Ward made Tennessee Football....Oh how I miss hearing his play by play.....memories...no one could bring the excitement of college football like John Ward....no one!

Agree...However, for us really "old" fans, George Mooney who preceeded Ward was one of the best also...In those days of the Vols seldom being on TV, he made it come alive as well....

Mooney actually was a more polished announcer in the sense of professional broadcasting. John, simply, was far more colorful in his ability to paint verbal pictures with his commentary and, of course, his enthusiasm was absolutely infectious, not to mention his timeless "Wardisms."

I always liked his answer-his-own-question move:

"The kick is up . . . did he make it? . . . (gruffy voice) HE MADE IT!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The Willie Gault kickoff return against Vandy

"Ladies and Gentlemen he took that one all the way to the state capital !!!! Give Him Six"

Not sure of the exact words but this is close

Last edited:
In 95 Shane Burton blocked a punt against Miss St. He scooped it up and scored a TD. Wards call was great!

With John Ward calling the plays, I knew Tennessee had scored long before he actually told you so because you heard the crowd erupt in the background when the ball carrier was still at the 15 or 20 yardline by Ward's call. He took his time calling off the progress for the dramatic effect. In my opinion, we didn't score until John Ward said we scored, though. The result of that dramatic effect was that my eyes were already teared up before John made it official. John Ward deserves a statue right next to the General!

Reactions: 3 people
"Bottom!"

whoops sorry......... wrong forum, but right John Ward

Hand off to Coleman he drives spins churns and pounds the ball forward for about a yard

The 195 yr int return in the national title game.

Dee Wayne Gooooodrich!!!!
Playing Warrick, played him perfectly!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back