Xbox One

Party chat. I've said numerous times that alone is worth the price of admission. The deal for me is that the cost is so minuscule, its well worth it to me to pay it simply because that's something that comes with being able to play online on the console I prefer. $50 a year simply isn't enough to get me worked up about having to pay it.

Understandable. Party chat is basically the only value Xbox Live Gold offers but it's a huge feature. Outside of that, it's something that people pay because they have to as half that $60 game is locked behind said pay wall. I'm interested to see how Microsoft will be able to justify the cost now that Sony will be offering the same on PS4.

Understandable. Party chat is basically the only value Xbox Live Gold offers but it's a huge feature. Outside of that, it's something that people pay because they have to as half that $60 game is locked behind said pay wall. I'm interested to see how Microsoft will be able to justify the cost now that Sony will be offering the same on PS4.

But the argument that I've been making TooLegit is that party chat, while a very nice feature, is a hardware driven feature that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that MS charges for their Live service. Hell, the PS Vita does party chat and it's online service is absolutely free! The only reason PS3 doesn't have it is because of memory constraints that cannot be overcome. The fact that I can play online with my PS3, tablet, and PC absolutely free, the fact that I can watch movies on Crackle, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon absolutely free and the fact that MS makes their Live users pay for such features is a rip off.

MS has done a brilliant job of convincing Live users that paying for these features is justified, but those of us who game on other platforms simply know better.

But the argument that I've been making TooLegit is that party chat, while a very nice feature, is a hardware driven feature that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that MS charges for their Live service. Hell, the PS Vita does party chat and it's online service is absolutely free! The only reason PS3 doesn't have it is because of memory constraints that cannot be overcome. The fact that I can play online with my PS3, tablet, and PC absolutely free, the fact that I can watch movies on Crackle, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon absolutely free and the fact that MS makes their Live users pay for such features is a rip off.

MS has done a brilliant job of convincing Live users that paying for these features is justified, but those of us who game on other platforms simply know better.

You can go on and on about the hardware requirements or whatever, but as of today, the only service that offers party chat is XBL. If that changes on next gen systems, then your argument may hold a little more water, but personally I'm still not going to care. I prefer the Xbox for a number of reasons, the controller probably being at the top of my list, and if having to pay an $60 a year to play it online is part of the deal, then so be it. It's not like anyone who buys one doesn't know that going in. Truth be told, I've never actually paid more than $45 for a year of XBL. If you search around during the year and pick on up when somebody has them on sale, you can often get them for well below the full retail price.

You can go on and on about the hardware requirements or whatever, but as of today, the only service that offers party chat is XBL. If that changes on next gen systems, then your argument may hold a little more water, but personally I'm still not going to care. I prefer the Xbox for a number of reasons, the controller probably being at the top of my list, and if having to pay an $60 a year to play it online is part of the deal, then so be it. It's not like anyone who buys one doesn't know that going in. Truth be told, I've never actually paid more than $45 for a year of XBL. If you search around during the year and pick on up when somebody has them on sale, you can often get them for well below the full retail price.

Not true. PS Vita does it, so does Steam on PC.

I was talking about XBL is the only service on a console that offers it. I don't play on PC or whatever the hell PS Vita is.

it's still not worth $60 (but it's only 60 bucks). everyone is going to pay for it anyway because they have to, but it's pretty silly that they charge for Live when the competition doesn't.

It gets better

Xbox One: Kinect 2′s visual DRM functions found in patent file – report | VG247

the patent is for tech that sees Kinect monitoring how many people are in a room at once. If the number exceeds the amount allowed on a game or film’s license, then you the owner of the content, must pay for an extended license.

Wait,.....what? So, you will be limited to how may people can play or watch your Xbox? This is comical. How does this not violate some privacy law?

This seems to be what's happening:

"Polygon's sources note that used game sales will continue, as Xbox One game ownership is determined by an on-disc encryption code. Once a game has been sold, traded, or otherwise activated by another console, access to the previous owner's installed content is revoked and transferred to its new owner."

On the new system, when you buy a game, it's installed. You no longer need the disc after the first play. So MS is creating a new system (and will probably charge the retailer) where it keeps track of the disc and what machine it's currently activated on. That's going to be a massive database in a short time keeping track of every disc manufactured. And this is obviously another reason you have to be online briefly every now and again so it can check your licenses.

Last edited:

and once again the sony fanboys stick to that same one argument. and by the way the microsoft servers have a little bit to do with party chat, it's not all based in the hardware. and if you weren't aware the servers and their upkeep does require a little bit of $.

Really looking forward to this system. I own a PS3, 360, and Wii, and the 360 is by far my favorite.

With this thing supplying the blu-rays I don't think I will bother with the PS4. I hope the new XBOX will cost less than $400.

I'm a PS guy ill admit, but I'm trying not to be bias. Can you xbox guys tell me about some of the Xbox one games like destiny?

Really looking forward to this system. I own a PS3, 360, and Wii, and the 360 is by far my favorite.

With this thing supplying the blu-rays I don't think I will bother with the PS4. I hope the new XBOX will cost less than $400.

That seems to me like a likely price point to start.

wait. Didn't the 360 cost upwards of $600 at debut?

VN Store

Back