Xbox One

Who doesn't have the internet? Who the F brings their xbox camping with them? The only time I don't have internet access, when i have my console nearby, is when the power is out.

I think in another thread we determined that maybe this would affect soldiers who were serving in places like Afghanistan or on a boat in the middle of the ocean. However, for my purposes, if I don't have the ability to connect to the internet, there's a pretty good chance I'm not going to want to play my Xbox.

I think in another thread we determined that maybe this would affect soldiers who were serving in places like Afghanistan or on a boat in the middle of the ocean. However, for my purposes, if I don't have the ability to connect to the internet, there's a pretty good chance I'm not going to want to play my Xbox.

If not for the Internet being out a couple of times, I would have never even tried COD campaigns. Still haven't finished BO or BO2.

Regardless how petty or insignificant you may think this "online requirement" is, I fully expect it to be an issue and will hurt sales. JMO

Given that MS has a paid online service that allows them collect $60 a year of essentially straight profit from every owner that Sony doesn't get, couldn't they feasibly sell significantly less consoles yet ultimately earn more money?

game stop and gamefly are effed in the game.

Given that MS has a paid online service that allows them collect $60 a year of essentially straight profit from every owner that Sony doesn't get, couldn't they feasibly sell significantly less consoles yet ultimately earn more money?

I never took anything over 300 level math, but I would say yes.....very feasible. Havent thought about that angle

I never took anything over 300 level math, but I would say yes.....very feasible. Havent thought about that angle

Do you have any idea what the actual profit margin is on the consoles? I've always heard it was pretty low, and the majority of money is made through sale of games, accessories, etc. MS has a model where they are able to collect roughly the cost of another console over the lifespan of said console through XBL subscriptions, but almost every dime of that goes right in their pocket. Maybe they are seeing a bigger picture that some have missed in that the most money doesn't necessarily lie in selling the most consoles.

In case you missed the reveal, here's how it basically went:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw&noredirect=1[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
Do you have any idea what the actual profit margin is on the consoles? I've always heard it was pretty low, and the majority of money is made through sale of games, accessories, etc. MS has a model where they are able to collect roughly the cost of another console over the lifespan of said console through XBL subscriptions, but almost every dime of that goes right in their pocket. Maybe they are seeing a bigger picture that some have missed in that the most money doesn't necessarily lie in selling the most consoles.

They almost all lose money on each system sale, but make it up with the sales of software.

Even the last system praised for actually making a profit per system sold (Wii) if I recall correctly was only about a $5-$6 dollar profit per sale.

Last edited:

Sorry but I don't find that admirable at all. I'm all for a company making an honest dollar but ONLY if they are doing so by providing real value for what they're selling. MS has done an exemplary job of convincing gamers that yearly subscription fees for Live are justified, but I and many other gamers out there know better.

Last edited:
In case you missed the reveal, here's how it basically went:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw&noredirect=1[/youtube]

Called if new game console reveals were honest:

67354e3d2ed61dfa8a3668e0aacfeecf-if-new-game-console-reveals-were-honest.jpg

Last edited:
Called if new game console reveals were honest:

67354e3d2ed61dfa8a3668e0aacfeecf-if-new-game-console-reveals-were-honest.jpg

:eek:lol:

The only thing I disagree with is, unless that was directed at Nintendo and the Wii-U, the "imperceptible graphical improvements" part. I see a pretty huge difference in graphic fidelity between Killzone: Shadowfall and Killzone 2 and 3. Same with Infamous: Second Son, the new Battlefield 4, and Call of Duty: Gosts.

Found this one kind of humorous also; a bit more about expectations versus the realities with these kinds of things:

(looks like the upload messed up; now it reads

2 3

5)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.57.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.57.03 PM.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.57.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.57.19 PM.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.57.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.57.56 PM.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.58.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.58.10 PM.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.58.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 3.58.22 PM.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
:eek:lol:

The only thing I disagree with is, unless that was directed at Nintendo and the Wii-U, the "imperceptible graphical improvements" part. I see a pretty huge difference in graphic fidelity between Killzone: Shadowfall and Killzone 2 and 3. Same with Infamous: Second Son, the new Battlefield 4, and Call of Duty: Gosts.

Wasn't part of the point on that part though how what we saw/ see in these things were almost always just created specifically for system display/presentation purposes, and almost never really how the game will actually look in the end?

In the case of the Wii, I actually thought many GameCube games looked better than Wii games. That's probably more laziness on the developer since the Wii got a lot of PS2 level ports, but for a good while the best looking game on the Wii was the port of RE4.

As far as the promises and junk, yeah I'm still waiting for the Kinect to do half the cool crap they claimed it would in the first Kinect reveal, and for pretty much all the accessories for the Wii to be anything more than used in a few games; even the Wii Plus didn't deliver like they said it would.

In the case of the Wii, I actually thought many GameCube games looked better than Wii games. That's probably more laziness on the developer since the Wii got a lot of PS2 level ports, but for a good while the best looking game on the Wii was the port of RE4.

As far as the promises and junk, yeah I'm still waiting for the Kinect to do half the cool crap they claimed it would in the first Kinect reveal, and for pretty much all the accessories for the Wii to be anything more than used in a few games; even the Wii Plus didn't deliver like they said it would.

I'm actually amazed that Nintendo still has as many followers as they do. I mean, yeah I liked Mario and Zelda at one time too but damn! They recycle that **** over and over and over on every one of their consoles. When was the last time Nintendo developed a major new franchise? They have milked the same 4 or 5 properties for decades now! There is absolutely no creativity in that company anymore. I play a game like Little Big Planet and think to myself "this should have been a Nintendo idea!"

I'm actually amazed that Nintendo still has as many followers as they do. I mean, yeah I liked Mario and Zelda at one time too but damn! They recycle that **** over and over and over on every one of their consoles. When was the last time Nintendo developed a major new franchise? They have milked the same 4 or 5 properties for decades now! There is absolutely no creativity in that company anymore. I play a game like Little Big Planet and think to myself "this should have been a Nintendo idea!"

Same here. The only games I ever see are Mario "insert name here". It seems they've given up on trying to attract the 16 and up crowd.

I will be getting this. I have always seemed to like Microsoft products over Sony products. I had both the PS3 and 360 and far and away played the 360 more and found it to be far superior in terms of a social aspect (like communicating through Xbox live chat).

The 'snap' option looks like something I would use regularly with Skype or the Internet. Plus 15 exclusives is good going.

Sorry but I don't find that admirable at all. I'm all for a company making an honest dollar but ONLY if they are doing so by providing real value for what they're selling. MS has done an exemplary job of convincing gamers that yearly subscription fees for Live are justified, but I and many other gamers out there know better.

Last I checked, MS's job was to earn money, not your admiration. As for providing value, that's very much in the eye of the beholder. While you may not see the added value that an XBL subscription brings, me, along with millions of other people see it differently. In my opinion, something like a boat or a motorcycle would provide no real value for the cost, but I'm not going to flat out say things like that are worthless, because lots of people really enjoy them.

Last I checked, MS's job was to earn money, not your admiration. As for providing value, that's very much in the eye of the beholder. While you may not see the added value that an XBL subscription brings, me, along with millions of other people see it differently. In my opinion, something like a boat or a motorcycle would provide no real value for the cost, but I'm not going to flat out say things like that are worthless, because lots of people really enjoy them.

Where's the value for you personally?

Where's the value for you personally?

Party chat. I've said numerous times that alone is worth the price of admission. The deal for me is that the cost is so minuscule, its well worth it to me to pay it simply because that's something that comes with being able to play online on the console I prefer. $50 a year simply isn't enough to get me worked up about having to pay it.

VN Store

Back