Wow, Basilio dropped some knowledge about Billy Donovan

Why would Marshall cause a meltdown? If fans cant see he can coach they should not even bother crying about who gets hired because they know nothing.

Would he be a coach we are settling for? He seems to be on everyone's list, but on the lower end.

I posted this earlier, and this may explain what they are referring to. And as Zack put in his blog, not a homerun, but a lucky double. Marshall should be a solid hire, he just doesn't have the big name recognition.

How in the world are we suppose to win games if our new coach doesn't have 'name recognition' We are doomed!

I read a lot of these threads and I keep thinking ... does anyone remember when Fulmer was winning at or below .500 ... a large part of the fan base completely stopped watching and the stadium was nearly empty ... a college fan base that is used to winning even just a taste of winning wants to keep winning ... if the UT brass wants the fans to keep coming to the games they have to hire a coach with a winning record and a winning name ... its not just athletics anymore, its a business and if you want to keep the money rolling in you have to have a coach that knows how to win, a team that they want to watch, and fan base that is willing to push money to watch, wear, and own the team.

Nearly empty??? Really??? or is that just for effect??? I agree attendance dipped....But nearly empty????

Apples and Oranges. Can not compare the two progams at the time of the hires. Before gators hired the Don as coach, they were a consistly losing program. 2-20 win season between 1968-1992 [That is really bad]. Tennessee is now hiring after going to the NCAA Tourny for 6 years in a row. We should expect to hire a more proven coach. The Don worked out for the gators but it was a risky hire based on his past record. I hope Dooley works out like the Don!!!!!

I read a lot of these threads and I keep thinking ... does anyone remember when Fulmer was winning at or below .500 ... a large part of the fan base completely stopped watching and the stadium was nearly empty ... a college fan base that is used to winning even just a taste of winning wants to keep winning ... if the UT brass wants the fans to keep coming to the games they have to hire a coach with a winning record and a winning

name ... its not just athletics anymore, its a

business and if you want to keep the money
rolling in you have to have a coach that
knows how to win, a team that they want to
watch, and fan base that is willing to push
money to watch, wear, and own the
team.

Fulmer was only at or below .500 twice (2005,2008).
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Fulmer was only at or below .500 twice (2005,2008).

How many other coaches have losing records after establishing a successful championship program?

Did General Neyland , Bear Bryant, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, John Wooden, Bob Knight, Denny Crum let their programs fall into disrepair under their watches?

Billy D is also like Rick Pitino's son and he gave him a glowing recommendation. He also had access to Pitino for info. So he wasn't really a risk.

Wow! So no one from the list is the chosen one? We're getting a guy from a sh*tty *ss school that can't recruit a midget to play basketball and goes to the NIT constantly? Really?
Mooney is out of the tourney...
Throw money at Frank, do something better!

sometimes ya get lucky

Rather be lucky than good, especially in the beginning. Donovan was a home run anyway the naysayers spin it. He also was went 35 - 20 with the players he inherited.

Sort of like finishing 4th in the CAA.

And, of course, the lamest of all. They didn't belong in the tournament. Yeah, right.

Billy D is also like Rick Pitino's son and he gave him a glowing recommendation. He also had access to Pitino for info. So he wasn't really a risk.

ANY coach is a risk. That is the point of hiring Smart (he's too smart) to take the job. Instead we get a guy that has been turned down twice before for the same job, outstanding.

Recruits will be standing in-line to sign on with guy.

Why would Marshall cause a meltdown? If fans cant see he can coach they should not even bother crying about who gets hired because they know nothing.
If he was such a great coach he would playing in the real tourney. Not the NIT.

If he was such a great coach, UT would have hired him the 1st time.

If he was such a great coach UT would have hired him the 2nd time.

Said it earlier, today's recruits will be just dying to play for this guy, NOT.

For those of who who don't remember, Donovan was also replacing a coach who had just led us to a Sweet 16 and then 2 years before Donovan was hired a Final 4 berth in 1994.

To say it wasn't a risk hire is being a little bit naive. The man was 35 years old when he got hired with not even 2 full years as a head coach, being hired to run an SEC program.

Billy Donovan had a 35-20 career record (Marshall) and no post season appearances when Florida hired him.

If we hired a coach with the same resume to replace Pearl, how would the fanbase react?

Predictable response... You guys need to stay classy.

VN Store

Back