Wow, Basilio dropped some knowledge about Billy Donovan

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Billy Donovan had a 35-20 career record (Marshall) and no post season appearances when Florida hired him.

If we hired a coach with the same resume to replace Pearl, how would the fanbase react?

Billy Donovan had a 35-20 career record (Marshall) and no post season appearances when Florida hired him.

If we hired a coach with the same resume to replace Pearl, how would the fanbase react?

You may be about to find out, at least initially.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I read a lot of these threads and I keep thinking ... does anyone remember when Fulmer was winning at or below .500 ... a large part of the fan base completely stopped watching and the stadium was nearly empty ... a college fan base that is used to winning even just a taste of winning wants to keep winning ... if the UT brass wants the fans to keep coming to the games they have to hire a coach with a winning record and a winning name ... its not just athletics anymore, its a business and if you want to keep the money rolling in you have to have a coach that knows how to win, a team that they want to watch, and fan base that is willing to push money to watch, wear, and own the team.

Its easy to take a chance on a coach when your team hasn't went much of anywhere the previous years.

I read a lot of these threads and I keep thinking ... does anyone remember when Fulmer was winning at or below .500 ... a large part of the fan base completely stopped watching and the stadium was nearly empty ... a college fan base that is used to winning even just a taste of winning wants to keep winning ... if the UT brass wants the fans to keep coming to the games they have to hire a coach with a winning record and a winning name ... its not just athletics anymore, its a business and if you want to keep the money rolling in you have to have a coach that knows how to win, a team that they want to watch, and fan base that is willing to push money to watch, wear, and own the team.

A bit strong, eh?

Its easy to take a chance on a coach when your team hasn't went much of anywhere the previous years.
That would be a good point . . . if not for the fact that Florida was only about 2 or 3 years removed from a Final Four appearance when they hired Donovan.

He was also showing his great recruiting abilities at Marshall. I would not have been as upset. Especially after Kruger gave them a few less than stellar seasons

VN Store

Back