Witten a Lock for NFL HOF?

I don't see it, at the end of the day Witten is a poor man's Ben Coates, he's a decent Mark Chmura / Jim Peplinski type player
:loco:

Witten is an absolute lock for the HOF. Not sure where the skepticism comes from. He's passed Ozzie Newsome (who's in the HOF) for career receptions and yardage and will pass him soon for TDs.

weighted career Approximate Values

Chmura: 33 (2935th overall since 1950)

Coates: 56 (1166th overall since 1950)

Witten: 76 (473rd overall since 1950)

Coates was a more rounded TE. As was Chmura and Popinski

1.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see it, at the end of the day Witten is a poor man's Ben Coates, he's a decent Mark Chmura / Jim Peplinski type player

In three years of posting on this site, I have never felt compelled to characterize anyone as an idiot, but this statement profoundly tempts me. As good as he was, Ben Coates had 499 total receptions, 5555 receiving yards and 50 touchdowns in 10 years (Top 10 NFL tight ends of all time - NFL - Yahoo! Sports). Currently third among NFL tight ends all-time in receptions, Witten has 799 career receptions with one regular-season game left to play in 2012. Witten also has 8,892 receiving yards and 43 touchdown catches (Jason Witten Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Dallas Cowboys - ESPN). Those totals also have been amassed in 10 years, the same as Coates.

NFL analysts have praised Witten as being one of the last tight ends who is equally adept in blocking and pass receiving. The only thing going against him is he does not toot his own horn. Anything but flamboyant, Witten is as workmanlike and as blue-collar as the proverbial day is long.

Tony Gonzalez, the gold standard and career leader at that position, has amassed 1237 receptions for 14,227 yds. and 103 touchdowns (Tony Gonzalez Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Atlanta Falcons - ESPN). Witten probably will not challenge Gonzo's record for TDs. However, if he stays healthy for another four or five years, something that is entirely conceivable, he could challenge for the lead in receptions and yds. for a tight end.

If those credentials don't make him a first-ballot Hall of Famer, there utterly is no justice in this world.

Reactions: 5 people
i don't know why i typed dallas clark. i meant gates.

don't know how you could mix those guys up

A much more defensible position. Dallas Clark is a fine tight end, but he has been the statistical beneficiary of playing so much of his career with Peyton.

i don't know why i typed dallas clark. i meant gates.

don't know how you could mix those guys up

Gronk and Graham have played 3 seasons. Give em about 5 more years and then we can talk

Gates can be argued. His career AV is 94 (210th overall since 1950) Less yards, but WAY more TDs in the same amount of years (10)

Gronk and Graham have played 3 seasons. Give em about 5 more years and then we can talk

I'll concede Gates. His career AV is 94 (210th overall since 1950) Less yards, but WAY more TDs in the same amount of years (10)

i don't want to get too nit picky, because i'm not knocking witten in any way.

but, gates, gronk, graham, and gonzalez are or were unstoppable at a moment in time in their career and were the biggest, baddest weapon on the field. i can't measure that with any scientific method.

you are correct that graham and gronk haven't been around very long, but they fit that bill as being the main focus of an opposing defense and being totally unstoppable.

i'm not sure that anyone came into a game with the first focus being shutting down witten. that's not meant to be a knock. for me, it just is.

as someone else said, he has quietly gone about his business putting up solid seasons and solid numbers year after year.

but, i don't remember a time where he was an unstoppable freak of nature.

Last edited:
Absolutely. In fact, the truth is he is one of the best football players of all time, not just tight ends. He will never be fully appreciated because of several reasons, mostly because he is not a minority and he doesnt demand any extra attention. Sadly that means you will go unnoticed to the casual observer. I knew he was the real deal when Bill Parcells called him the best football player in the NFL when he coached the Cowboys.

implied-facepalm.png

Chris Cooley is/was a better TE than Chmura :eek:lol:

Didn't Chuy's career effectively end after that sexual assault allegation in 2001?

Witten will be in the HOF, but not on a first ballot. It took John Mackey 5-6 ballots, and he is still one of best TEs of all time.

Witten will not get into the HOF. He will join Bernard King and Todd Helton on the outside. It's a shame that these three great players will not get in their respective hall of fames. They all are more than deserving. There was a time when Bernard King was the best scoring option in the enire NBA. And what Helton did without steroids was incredible.

Witten will not get into the HOF. He will join Bernard King and Todd Helton on the outside. It's a shame that these three great players will not get in their respective hall of fames. They all are more than deserving. There was a time when Bernard King was the best scoring option in the enire NBA. And what Helton did without steroids was incredible.

Coors is fun

VN Store

Back