Will we Checker Neyland in 2015?

Now that it has been proven that someone can call on Vols fans to checker the stadium, and they will actually follow the instructions, it may happen more than once this season.

Question for the folks who were in the stadium last fall when Neyland got checkered for the first time: were they selling cheap orange and white shirts at the concession stands for people who forgot? And did they have posters up so everyone could check what color their seating was?

Just curious about the logistics of it all. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 person
Question for the folks who were in the stadium last fall when Neyland got checkered for the first time: were they selling cheap orange and white shirts at the concession stands for people who forgot? And did they have posters up so everyone could check what color their seating was?

No, but people were outside selling plain white teeshirts for a ridiculous price.

There was a website you were directed to, put in your seat assignment and it let you know whether to wear orange or white.. Enough time was given that hopefully most people didn't buy cheap t-shirts on Cumberland.. I got my white one at Alumni Hall, Parkside Turkey Creek (Creak):birgits_giggle: ... It was fantastic!

th
:good!::rock:

Last edited:
No, but people were outside selling plain white teeshirts for a ridiculous price.

There was a website you were directed to, put in your seat assignment and it let you know whether to wear orange or white.. Enough time was given that hopefully most people didn't buy cheap t-shirts on Cumberland.. I got my white one at Alumni Hall, Parkside... It was fantastic!

Thanks for the insights. For so little in-stadium support, it sure worked out well (except for the actual game on the field). Here's hoping this year's checkered Neyland contributes to a big win! :)

Thanks for the insights. For so little in-stadium support, it sure worked out well (except for the actual game on the field). Here's hoping this year's checkered Neyland contributes to a big win! :)

That was the same game we were invited on the field, pregame and it only added to the excitement of being on the sideline and seeing the checkerboard evolve. One thing standing next to the team as they did the circle of life and surrounded by orange and white checkerboard. I literally almost cried. Hate like heck we lost that game but the solidarity was incredible!

Last edited:
That was the same game.. :-( .. we were invited on the field, pregame and it only added to the excitement of being on the sideline and seeing the checkerboard evolve. One thing standing next to the team as they did the circle of life and surrounded by orange and white checkerboard. I literally almost cried. Hate like heck we lost that game but the solidarity was incredible!

Why were you invited onto the field, VolsPeach?

Why were you invited onto the field, VolsPeach?

We are involved with UTK Development, had been invited to a function for the Pride and since we were unable to attend, we were invited down to the field, where most of our time was spent with the Pride.

I will be disappointed if this doesn't become a tradition for at least one game a year. It was incredible seeing what can be accomplished when 100,000 people are all on the same mission.

Wonder if we could have like the power T on one side and Vols on the the other side. That would be pretty cool to see.

Like you've stated, I would love to see this happen once a year and have it make it into the "traditions" category of UT Football (Ă  la The Rock, Smokey, Rocky Top, Pride of the Southland, etc.).

An annual 102,455 fan-driven Checkering of Neyland would speak louder than any voice could about our love of Tennessee Football.

I would like to see something for every home game; checker, white out, orange out; but something for every one and for the love of all that is Volunteer Football; bring back passing out the free shakers as folks enter the stadium! Just have a drop box for them at the exits and recycle them at the end of the game. We as fans should take responsibility for making sure we have them available for every home game at least!

Some of my earliest and most fond memories of Vol Football are watching 102,000 plus waiving them in unison to Rocky Top! It also helps with the sound delay across the stadium by keeping us all in sync!

One of the most embarrassing things to me is hearing two "whooos" every time Rocky Top plays because of this delay or hearing one side of the stadium singing and the other not because they can't hear.

One other thing; at the OK game last year I was thoroughly impressed how the crowd on one side would yell "boomer" and the other yell "sooner". Couldn't we do "Rocky" and then "Top"? Seems like it would be an easy thing to do and would fire up the crowd! Maybe have the cheerleaders run to the middle of the field on tv timeouts and with the sign boards get this started??? I think this would be great!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Checkering Neyland was more impressive than candy-striping OU's stadium. I get it was the inspiration for "Checker Neyland" but, IMO, OU's was much easier. I mean the lower level is already striped. (See pic)

UT's took a lot more creativity and was bada$$!

oklahoma.jpg

Checker Neyland was a classic and hopefully became a TENNESSEE tradition!!!! ☝🏈

Last edited:
This.

Beyond that, do an orange out for the rest of the games to show the world that we're THAT strong.

:rock:

I feel you , but I think the 'everyone has the same color on' is so overdone it has lost all meaning. The checkerboard was cool, but every single sports game I have seen the last few months on TV is a sea of ____ color.

The more I see clips of Neyland in videos all checkered out, the more I feel like it'll be a disservice to ourselves if we don't do it again. Yeah, we lost, but there's no arguing that that was an epic sight.

*Random thought* wouldn't it be cool to give each section shakers of the opposite color? Imagine all the white sections waving orange shakers and the Orange sections waving white, I feel like that would look sick.

UGA. That game could decide the SEC East.

Whenever we do it, we need to win. To Checker Neyland for a big game, then lose two years in a row, would take some air out of the tradition.

VN Store

Back