Will we Checker Neyland in 2015?

Checkerboard for OU, definitely. This game should more likely make ESPN's GameDay (great dual-region coverage) and a lot of uncommitted recruits will be watching. When it's time to step on the dawgs with hobnail spikes, let's smokey gray out Neyland...honoring team 117 for their shoving this ship in the right direction. Pig would certainly appreciate that.

Unlikely to be GameDay in Knoxville for the Oklahoma game as Mich St is playing Oregon in Eugene unfortunately that weekend.

Reactions: 1 person
Unlikely to be GameDay in Knoxville for the Oklahoma game as Mich St is playing Oregon in Eugene unfortunately that weekend.

The game is at Mich St. but this will most likely be where Gameday is located.

I agree we should checker Neyland for the Oklahoma game for several reasons.

Their fans did it to us last season so our fans should get payback and checker Neyland this season.

They beat us so next season our kids get their payback in front of our fans with Neyland checkered.

1st home game and with all the early hype we'll get loads of attention so lots of recruits will be watching us and if we checker Neyland you can bet that will make a serious impact on a lot of the kids we're recruiting.

We get the Win over Oklahoma and then in the swamp we Win again and you can bet that Gameday will come to the hill when we play UGa and that will give us the chance to checker Neyland again in front of a even bigger bunch of recruits and fans.

I'd like to see checker Neyland become another tradition for at least 2 games a year.

Young recruits love those kinds of things and I'm all for anything that will help us recruit.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

Checkering neyland should definitely be added to our list of yearly traditions imo. Pick a big game early on and make it happen.

Reactions: 5 people
It seems here that the consensus is Oklahoma. I only mentioned GA as a possibility because I think it would look better in the daytime. The OK game was a 8:00 pm kick last year, and if it lands on ABC it might be that again.

Throw out another idea here. To my knowledge its never been done but would be great in between the 3rd and 4th qtr, I call it the STANDING WAVE. (I really don't like the wave but if we're going to do it) Basically, you let it get thru 2 laps where its really going, The third time in comes around you stand and scream and remain standing and screaming until the entire stadium is standing and screaming.. Might be really cool. Thought?

Feel sorry for the first group to start screaming. Got some hefty lungs to keep that up.

Checkering neyland should definitely be added to our list of yearly traditions imo. Pick a big game early on and make it happen.

Like you've stated, I would love to see this happen once a year and have it make it into the "traditions" category of UT Football (à la The Rock, Smokey, Rocky Top, Pride of the Southland, etc.).

An annual 102,455 fan-driven Checkering of Neyland would speak louder than any voice could about our love of Tennessee Football.

Long Standing Tennessee Traditions:
  • Smokey
  • Rocky Top
  • Power T Helmets
  • Pride of the Southland Marching Band
  • The Rock
  • Neyland's Maxims
  • Davy Crockett
  • The Vol Walk
  • Running Through the T
  • Voices of the Vols (John Ward et al)
  • Checkerboard End Zones
  • The Vol Navy
  • I Will Give My All for Tennessee Today sign

New "Traditions" Introduced in the Butch era:
  • Team Numbering (119 etc)
  • VFL Program
  • ...Checkerboard Neyland? Hope so!

Reactions: 2 people
Putting together that previous post made me think of our traditions and how they must look seen through the eyes of a new player...

...starting with becoming part of a numbered team, Team 119, and all the history that gets blanketed over you when you think about the number's significance...

...then discovering The Rock for yourself while getting to know campus...

...finding out about the Vol Navy, maybe getting invited to join in an evening-prior tailgate dinner there...

...and then the rush of so many strong traditions in a row on game day: Vol Walk ... suiting up, including the Power T helmet ... going over Neyland's Maxims with the coach ... slapping the sign in a vow to Give My All for Tennessee Today ... standing in the tunnel seeing the Pride of the Southland Band forming the T ... following Smokey and Davy Crockett out Through the T ... the game starting, with Voices of the Vols calling it in the background ... Tennessee's first score in those beautiful checkerboard endzones, followed by Rocky Top sung by 100,000 souls ... and then, one day a year, looking up to see an entire stadium checkered ...

And then, as that freshman who became a sophomore became a junior became a senior plays his last game for Tennessee, realizing that it will never truly be over as he is welcomed into the Vol For Life fraternity...

We and our players and coaches are blessed at Tennessee with so many wonderful traditions. Chokes me up a little just thinking about them all.

Long Standing Tennessee Traditions:
  • Smokey
  • Rocky Top
  • Power T Helmets
  • Pride of the Southland Marching Band
  • The Rock
  • Neyland's Maxims
  • Davy Crockett
  • The Vol Walk
  • Running Through the T
  • Voices of the Vols (John Ward et al)
  • Checkerboard End Zones
  • The Vol Navy
  • I Will Give My All for Tennessee Today sign

New "Traditions" Introduced in the Butch era:
  • Team Numbering (119 etc)
  • VFL Program
  • ...Checkerboard Neyland? Hope so!

VFL program was created by Dooley.

Throw out another idea here. To my knowledge its never been done but would be great in between the 3rd and 4th qtr, I call it the STANDING WAVE. (I really don't like the wave but if we're going to do it) Basically, you let it get thru 2 laps where its really going, The third time in comes around you stand and scream and remain standing and screaming until the entire stadium is standing and screaming.. Might be really cool. Thought?

Lol sounds like it would be pretty cool. Good luck coordinating it, though...

I don't care which game it is, but orange and pink during breast cancer awareness month. Would be the most epic ever

Tennessee fans can probably checkerboard LP Field during the Bowling Green game.

no no no, I would strongly prefer that the checkered stadium remain unique to Neyland. The two go together like hound dogs and Davy Crockett. Never want to see Neyland without checkerboard end zones, and never want to see checkerboard stands without Neyland. That's just me.

I don't care which game it is, but orange and pink during breast cancer awareness month. Would be the most epic ever

I'm too much of a traditionalist. Would be hugely supportive of a pink-and-white checkerboard one weekend in October (not the 'Bama week), but if orange is involved, it has to be orange-and-white.

Reactions: 2 people

Pink and white or orange and pink would be cool for a game in October

Putting together that previous post made me think of our traditions and how they must look seen through the eyes of a new player...

...starting with becoming part of a numbered team, Team 119, and all the history that gets blanketed over you when you think about the number's significance...

...then discovering The Rock for yourself while getting to know campus...

...finding out about the Vol Navy, maybe getting invited to join in an evening-prior tailgate dinner there...

...and then the rush of so many strong traditions in a row on game day: Vol Walk ... suiting up, including the Power T helmet ... going over Neyland's Maxims with the coach ... slapping the sign in a vow to Give My All for Tennessee Today ... standing in the tunnel seeing the Pride of the Southland Band forming the T ... following Smokey and Davy Crockett out Through the T ... the game starting, with Voices of the Vols calling it in the background ... Tennessee's first score in those beautiful checkerboard endzones, followed by Rocky Top sung by 100,000 souls ... and then, one day a year, looking up to see an entire stadium checkered ...

And then, as that freshman who became a sophomore became a junior became a senior plays his last game for Tennessee, realizing that it will never truly be over as he is welcomed into the Vol For Life fraternity...

We and our players and coaches are blessed at Tennessee with so many wonderful traditions. Chokes me up a little just thinking about them all.

Thought this post would be very corny... but dang I got really pumped up

VN Store

Back