Why?

It wasn't just one thing. Richt and Pruitt are two very different guys with two very different ways of doing things. They butted heads a lot. It boiled over. After a particularly tense practice and coaches meeting, Pruitt had a few drinks to help chill. They had the opposite effect, and he wound up on Richt's front porch in the dead of night looking to rearrange Richt's face.

Pruitt had similar issues with Jimbo Fisher, though not to the same degree. Pruitt is just a different cat. He works well with specific kinds of people. He and Saban got along very well.

This program could use a little of that. We have been anything but abrasive, competitive, or onry in the last 15 years. Now he can't go to those extremes, Kiffy did though, and get away with it. But cool the guy has a pulse, I like it.

Reactions: 4 people
Wow. I’ve never heard that story. I hope Pruitt has learned from that. You just can’t get away with stuff like that as a head coach.

Ummmm I think he got away with it very nicely , let’s track Pruitt’s course that ended up with multiple natty rings and a head coaching job vs MRs path . I’m not seeing the downside if it’s true .

Reactions: 1 person
This program could use a little of that. We have been anything but abrasive, competitive, or onry in the last 15 years. Now he can't go to those extremes, Kiffy did though, and get away with it. But cool the guy has a pulse, I like it.

Yep. You dont gripe down, you gripe up. The only person Pruitt has to gripe to is Fulmer, who has seen it all and knows the deal. It's a great setup for Pruitt to be a football coach and Fulmer can handle the schmoozing type stuff.

I remember back when that went down, I am a SC resident, not too far across the savanna river from Mordor (Athens) and I remember a bunch of guys I did business with from Athens were talking about Pruitt and Richt had it out. All Georgia fans of course, were up in arms about it at the time. It was the talk around the campfire for a week or two. But the version I heard is that he busted into Richts office and confronted him because he was leaving a particularly hard fall practice early to go to dinner with his family and basically told Pruitt to “lock up” before he left that night.

Hadn't heard that one. It also doesn't track with what I know of Mark Richt. A lot of stuff could be said of Richt, but I have trouble seeing him duck out early during the season. He burned the midnight oil with the best of them.

Reactions: 2 people
Hadn't heard that one. It also doesn't track with what I know of Mark Richt. A lot of stuff could be said of Richt, but I have trouble seeing him duck out early during the season. He burned the midnight oil with the best of them.

This is kinda why i dont believe this stuff. It's all hearsay and second-, third-hand. Supposed trustworthy sources or not.

Screenshot_20180718-114523_Bleacher Report.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180718-114523_Bleacher Report.jpg
    Screenshot_20180718-114523_Bleacher Report.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 13
Interesting details here from a Georgia guy. Who knows if any specific stories are true, but it seems fair to say that Richt and Pruitt's approaches were...different. Richt, especially for a big time college football coach, is laid-back and hesitant to say anything that might upset someone. Pruitt just doesn't care. Says perhaps the most interesting thing about Pruitt's tenure is in the area of decorum and politics. Went off about the lack of an indoor practice facility when he was there.

Former Georgia D-coordinator Jeremy Pruitt a high-risk hire for Tennessee

It wasn't just one thing. Richt and Pruitt are two very different guys with two very different ways of doing things. They butted heads a lot. It boiled over. After a particularly tense practice and coaches meeting, Pruitt had a few drinks to help chill. They had the opposite effect, and he wound up on Richt's front porch in the dead of night looking to rearrange Richt's face.

Pruitt had similar issues with Jimbo Fisher, though not to the same degree. Pruitt is just a different cat. He works well with specific kinds of people. He and Saban got along very well.

Not very flattering of Pruitt

Ummmm I think he got away with it very nicely , let’s track Pruitt’s course that ended up with multiple natty rings and a head coaching job vs MRs path . I’m not seeing the downside if it’s true .

As a head coach of our school he doesn’t need to have that sort of temper towards another member on the staff. I want him to hold people accountable, but I don’t want our coaches to come to blows. I’ve heard stories about our coaches in the past, but it doesn’t mean it should happen.

My point was, you learn from your mistakes.

One thing that I do think is interesting is that, without exception, all of Pruitt's former players seem to love him. That's what was reported at Alabama and Georgia, not sure about FSU. I'd be more concerned if Pruitt not only clashed with superiors/fellow coaches but his players also didn't like him.

I’m not sure about the fight... but I know for a fact that Coach Pruitt is like this... I have been up there in mertings twice and I can tell you without a doubt it’s true. He is a no nonsense kind of guy the “mans man” kind of guy.

“We got ourselves a football coach!”

Reactions: 4 people
As a head coach of our school he doesn’t need to have that sort of temper towards another member on the staff. I want him to hold people accountable, but I don’t want our coaches to come to blows. I’ve heard stories about our coaches in the past, but it doesn’t mean it should happen.

My point was, you learn from your mistakes.

He didn’t do this as a head coach .like someone else posted earlier you never complain down you complain up . Seems to me like CJP saw a huge amount of talent on MRs teams and couldn’t believe they weren’t doing better every year . Looking at what Georgia did last year , that just may have been the case . So was he wrong ? ( probably for letting it get that far ) But was he also right ? ( seems to be working out that way ) .

i’m not sure about the fight... But i know for a fact that coach pruitt is like this... I have been up there in mertings twice and i can tell you without a doubt it’s true. He is a no nonsense kind of guy the “mans man” kind of guy.

“we got ourselves a football coach!”

“ is that you john wayne, is this me?”

Edit : sorry that just popped into my head when you said “ mans man”

He didn’t do this as a head coach .like someone else posted earlier you never complain down you complain up . Seems to me like CJP saw a huge amount of talent on MRs teams and couldn’t believe they weren’t doing better every year . Looking at what Georgia did last year , that just may have been the case . So was he wrong ? ( probably for letting it get that far ) But was he also right ? ( seems to be working out that way ) .

If Pruitt thought that, he simply thought what every Georgia fan and most SEC fans have thought about Georgia for decades.

Since about 1983, you'd be hard pressed to find a more underachieving football program (or entire athletic department) than UGA.

Reactions: 5 people
As far as on the field, Pruitt was a very good DC there. Under Richt, it seems UGA football had a very country club type atmosphere that rubbed Pruitt the wrong way and he let Richt know about it. That's not how you win in the modern SEC and Pruitt knew it. I think UGA folks didnt like hearing it or Pruitt's aggressiveness on it to be sure.

Someone listened because Ricth was fired after averaging about 10 wins a year at UGa. I also think Pruitt learned a lesson and all of that is in the past. Another reason to reinforce the belief that UGa is my most disliked team in the Country. Ohio State is a strong second on my list of the worst.

That’s what I was saying . He probably was incorrect going to his bosses home to beat him up. UGA has significantly underchaived for a long time, doesn’t mean you go to Richt’s home and try to fight him.

That’s what I was saying . He probably was incorrect going to his bosses home to beat him up. UGA has significantly underchaived for a long time, doesn’t mean you go to Richt’s home and try to fight him.

For me, I look at it like a military leader that is a chicken s#!t. Have the ability to storm the field, but won't because of risk, pruitt was the guy that had the testicular fortitude to tell the push over in charge that we need to do our damn jobs.

Richt lost control of pruitt that night...

Reactions: 8 people
This has been said on here before, but I will just speak on 3 instances that I know are true. If you don’t think so, ask Rocker or Sherrer..,

It IS true that Pruitt showed up at Richt’s House drunk

It is true that Pruitt went after Richt physically and got his tail beat by Thomas Brown

There was a fracture in that coaching staff but it started years before, UGA AD wanted Richt to be less hands on and more CEO minded, biggest thing he wanted was him to be more of the kissing babies, raising donations type, just the figurehead (and doing the ADs job), So, Richt relented, trained Bobo and gave up playcalling. After Bobo left, he wanted to call plays again, AD forced him to make a hire, a bad hire, Schottenheimer. Why does that matter? Bear with me. Richt hires Pruitt from FSU after Grantham basically is fired. Richt allows Pruitt to recommend some hires-Rob Sale, Kevin Sherrer, Mark Hocke (all former Bama guys). Sherrer-homerun, love that dude, Sale-bad, just bad. Hocke-worst of all, he came from Cochran’s tree in S&C but was horrible, absolutely horrible. He was fired and went to YMCA if that tells you anything, somehow got hired A&M and got fired again, you heard people describing A&M last year, as Charmin soft.

Schottenheimer and Pruitt are the ones who first started as Pruitt went after Schotty, Richt stepped in as he didn’t want coaches fighting so basically Pruitt’s friends chose sides and the room was fractured and Pruitt turned his anger towards Richt. Richt allowed Pruitt leeway and maybe too much rope too early.

There is a reason Jimbo didn’t offer to try to keep him and why neither did Smart, he was had a year left on his contract when Smart was hired, he isn’t a “model citizen” by no means but let me ask, do you want Mr Rogers or do you want a mean SOB redneck that will do everything to win? If he wins, who cares?

I just think he is old school, a throwback, foul mouth dipping redneck that can coach, he’s a country boy coach. I think he would be perfect 30 years ago, but remember we do live in a PC world so I would be a bit concerned because we know if u just say one ‘incorrect’ word, the PC police come calling. Otherwise, it’s football, it’s supposed to be a little rough around the edges,

Like I said when he was hired, he can flat coach, at least position wise, we don’t know yet as HC. He can recruit, he does great at finding talent, especially lower ranked (3 stars) and has them playing as 4 stars, He has been known for being able to get big names to visit, but at times struggled to land them but is great at finding guys that fit what he wants. Give him time, he will get it going. I will be curious how he reacts and everyone who knows him from previous stops will be as well when things aren’t doing well, how will he react? THAT is my only question on him. He’s got to learn from previous experiences since he is now the main guy, I think he can, he’s smart and knows, will be interesting at least.

I won’t put the other rumors out but I can tell you the above is true... :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
This has been said on here before, but I will just speak on 3 instances that I know are true. If you don’t think so, ask Rocker or Sherrer..,

It is true that Pruitt went after Richt physically and got his tail beat by Thomas Brown

There was a fracture in that coaching staff but it started years before, UGA AD wanted Richt to be less hands on and more CEO minded, biggest thing he wanted was him to be more of the kissing babies, raising donations type, just the figurehead (and doing the ADs job), So, Richt relented, trained Bobo and gave up playcalling. After Bobo left, he wanted to call plays again, AD forced him to make a hire, a bad hire, Schottenheimer. Why does that matter? Bear with me. Richt hires Pruitt from FSU after Grantham basically is fired. Richt allows Pruitt to recommend some hires-Rob Sale, Kevin Sherrer, Mark Hocke (all former Bama guys). Sherrer-homerun, love that dude, Sale-bad, just bad. Hocke-worst of all, he came from Cochran’s tree in S&C but was horrible, absolutely horrible. He was fired and went to YMCA if that tells you anything, somehow got hired A&M and got fired again, you heard people describing A&M last year, as Charmin soft.

Schottenheimer and Pruitt are the ones who first started as Pruitt went after Schotty, Richt stepped in as he didn’t want coaches fighting so basically Pruitt’s friends chose sides and the room was fractured and Pruitt turned his anger towards Richt.

There is a reason Jimbo didn’t offer to try to keep him and why neither did Smart, he was had a year left on his contract when Smart was hired, he isn’t a “model citizen” by no means but let me ask, do you want Mr Rogers or do you want a mean SOB redneck that will do everything to win? If he wins, who cares?

I just think he is old school, a throwback, foul mouth dipping redneck that can coach, he’s a country boy coach. I think he would be perfect 30 years ago, but remember we do live in a PC world so I would be a bit concerned because we know if u just say one ‘incorrect’ word, the PC police come calling. Otherwise, it’s football, it’s supposed to be a little rough around the edges,

Like I said when he was hired, he can flat coach, at least position wise, we don’t know yet as HC. He can recruit, he does great at finding talent, especially lower ranked (3 stars) and has them playing as 4 stars, He has been known for being able to get big names to visit, but at times struggled to land them but is great at finding guys that fit what he wants. Give him time, he will get it going. I will be curious how he reacts and everyone who knows him from previous stops will be as well when things aren’t doing well, how will he react? THAT is my only question on him. He’s got to learn from previous experiences since he is now the main guy, I think he can, he’s smart and knows, will be interesting at least.

Honestly, I prefer a savage mentality in my leaders. Especially in a sport that requires savagery.

Again, there's no proof that actually happened.

I think bamawriter is a pretty reputable guy, so I was going with that story. I’m not hating on Pruitt, I like him a lot . I’m just saying he doesn’t need to go after people physically. It’s one thing as an assistant, it’s another as the hfbcut. I’m not concerned one bit about it. I think we have our guy.

Schottenheimer and Pruitt are the ones who first started as Pruitt went after Schotty, Richt stepped in as he didn’t want coaches fighting so basically Pruitt’s friends chose sides and the room was fractured and Pruitt turned his anger towards Richt.

Thanks for sharing. Beware, the white knights are crafting a response where they pick apart every sentence.

VN Store

Back