Why transfers and early NFL entries

Let’s talk about all the ones that would have left had BJ stayed.

Seriously. Could you imagine the amount of transfers?

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with all of this, very well stated imho.

Thanks KB!

I think we all knew that a few players would weed themselves out as they realized the expectations of the current staff were going to be much higher than the previous staff!

I didn't go back to read this. But Hooker doesn't have a single discovery of any sort here. There is literally nothing but his opinion of the matter. Worse yet is that statement that it is without question that EVERY UT Football player has not enjoyed their time here. Is this guy delusional, or does he think 100 young men's lives completely revolve around our W-L record?

Four player have left in a coaching change year. Four! Three of them have NFL potential and are testing the waters. If this is as bad as the transition gets, then we're living the dream.

Reactions: 3 people
Attrition will happen with any coaching change.

Importantly, we haven't lost any key underclassmen. So far, we've lost three draft-eligible players and a graduate transfer. That sort of thing is to be expected. If Chandler, Warrior, Byrd, Callaway, T. Smith, or B. Johnson were to transfer, that would be a bad sign, as it would suggest a serious lack of buy-in among key players.

As some have suggested, post-Spring Practice will tell us where we stand.

Reactions: 1 person
It's very likely that they were all favorites of the prior regime and none of the feel like starting over with a new staff, therefore, thay would rather move on than learn a new system and scheme. Just my opinion.

I think it's more common sense than anything right? New coaching changes always brings turnover. Why can't folks understand this?

Reactions: 2 people
Sort of a misleading article, because Dormady did trust Butch Jones. It's the "new guy" he doesn't trust.

This isn't really a knock on Pruitt. This is pretty typical with a coaching change. A lot of players are loyal to the old coach and may not feel like they fit in with the new one.

Dormady did have a shot to win the starting job back, but I think it's more of an uphill battle than most people here at VN realize. JG outplayed him at the end of the season (against tougher competition.) I think both JG and QD fit in Helton's system well (not so much for McBride, who will likely transfer at some point). But it also makes sense for Dormady to go somewhere else where he can be "the man" for his final season. Besides, this is probably a 2-year rebuilding job, minimum, so even if QD won the starting job next season, the offense is still probably at least 2 years away from clicking.

The players have been through a lot so it's natural to be cautious when you're being led by a new coaching staff. My hope and expectations are they'll quickly buy in and build a bond with this staff. Every case is different, but it’s probably a good thing with the majority of those who transfer out. They get a fresh start and we keep a group of players who have bought into the high expectations of a once prestigious football program.

Last edited:
Not commenting on the subject matter but I thought it was so generic with accusations that were totally unsubstantiated that ANYONE with a keyboard even from Australia could have written that piece and emailed it in..... really pathetic journalism but hey I’m amazed people actually watch MSNBC, CNN so I guess it’s the new normal....

Since he is gone, we can only imagine. How the Hell we suppose to know that? Sorry, not into just pulling guesses outta thin air. Easy to talk speculation that there is no way to prove.

No matter where he goes he's going to be starting over. Like Hooker said, why not at least play through spring and see if he can secure the starting job? Dormady, Boulware, Gaulden, Kelly, McKenzie, etc. There's always attrition during a coaching change but damn.

A lot of people point fingers at others and accuse them of being resistant to change; but if you go through enough corporate reorganizations, you realize that when the people who will come out on top are excluded, most of the rest aren't comfortable with future uncertainty. I can't imagine that a less experienced twenty year old would feel any differently, so perhaps they are simply looking for a little control of their own rather than face an uncertain future in different playing style, expectations, and competition for positions.

Since he is gone, we can only imagine. How the Hell we suppose to know that? Sorry, not into just pulling guesses outta thin air. Easy to talk speculation that there is no way to prove.

Then why contribute to the conversation? It’s called “scrolling” for a reason. Y’all act like we haven’t been losing 4 and 5 stars for the last couple years. I’d hate to know how y’all act toward people in real life since you clearly have no decency to strangers in a message board.

If CBJ was still here that means last season would have been drastically different and therefore you have no idea what the transfers and early outs would have looked like.

IN fairness, Kelly would not fit our new system. Look at the backs we have offered since CJP took over. I think he knew that and he is healthy for a RB. Good knees, good shoulders, hard runner. he will get a look, maybe not a very lucrative one, but a bench rider in the NFL makes 10x my annual salary so . . . .

Mckenzie should have stayed, but daddy is a GM. He didn't want to play nose guard IMO.

Gaulden was the most ready and still a 6-7th round pick at best.

QD can kick rocks if he doesn't want to be here.

Indications are that playing at Tennesssee isnt very fun. Dont blame any of them.
Wasn't, hopefully all that changes now!

The very idea that someone could find "fun" in being one of the worst if not THE worst performing Vol football teams in our glorious history would be anathema to me were I one of their teammates. Being a poor performing team should not be "fun" to my mind and if this actually was the case good for the players not finding this past season fun. They should have thought of it as participants in a horror show never to take place again is my opinion.

IN fairness, Kelly would not fit our new system. Look at the backs we have offered since CJP took over. I think he knew that and he is healthy for a RB. Good knees, good shoulders, hard runner. he will get a look, maybe not a very lucrative one, but a bench rider in the NFL makes 10x my annual salary so . . . .

Mckenzie should have stayed, but daddy is a GM. He didn't want to play nose guard IMO.

Gaulden was the most ready and still a 6-7th round pick at best.

QD can kick rocks if he doesn't want to be here.

You could be right but some things to consider.

Kelly fits any system.

McKenzie didn't want to play nose guard in college. He would just love that to be his gig in the NFL.

Gaulden draft results is opinion but your guess seems late. I'm guessing 3 or 4. I think he will do great with the interview process. You say 6 or 7. We can make a poll with the over/under at 5, lots may bet over but I think they would lose. If it's late like you say that would make me wrong not you and the powers that be in the NFL wrong.

QD doesn't want to ride the bench here. He doesn't expect to be the starter and is likely better off transferring to actually play football again.He wasn't going to see the field again at TN barring catastrophe .He is almost as tainted as Hurts at gumpburg.

You could be right but some things to consider.

Kelly fits any system.

McKenzie didn't want to play nose guard in college. He would just love that to be his gig in the NFL.

Gaulden draft results is opinion but your guess seems late. I'm guessing 3 or 4. I think he will do great with the interview process. You say 6 or 7. We can make a poll with the over/under at 5, lots may bet over but I think they would lose. If it's late like you say that would make me wrong not you and the powers that be in the NFL wrong.

QD doesn't want to ride the bench here. He doesn't expect to be the starter and is likely better off transferring to actually play football again.He wasn't going to see the field again at TN barring catastrophe .He is almost as tainted as Hurts at gumpburg.

:hi:

Considering:question:

Touchè. Kelly is a beast. His health status has to be a bonus.

I'd love to play DT in the NFL too. But I'm 6' 170. But I'll take the paycheck. Do you think he will be drafted? If so, where? I know his NFL stats (that company that puts out ratings after each game grading the entire performance from a pro perspective) were pretty good. While I am one who was disappointed with his out put, there is a lot more to playing Dline than lighting up the stat box.

I hope you're right. Gaulden was talented. My guess was off the fact Sutton went late (5th round I think, but don't quote me). Gaulden has the size at 6'1. I would like to know the over under on his draft round.

I don't wish any ill will toward QD or any player. Especially a Vols player. I wouldn't want to ride the bench either. Plus he will graduate in the spring. Hard to knock a kid if he got his degree.

Edit: NM, Suttn got drafted in the 3rd round, my bad. Not exactly late:unsure:

Last edited:
The very idea that someone could find "fun" in being one of the worst if not THE worst performing Vol football teams in our glorious history would be anathema to me were I one of their teammates. Being a poor performing team should not be "fun" to my mind and if this actually was the case good for the players not finding this past season fun. They should have thought of it as participants in a horror show never to take place again is my opinion.

We as fans only look at football. So know i dont think college kids should live in misery just because the team isnt performing well. Not sure why you would even bring that up. Even if the team struggled, i would still hope their overall college experience was good.

:hi:

Considering:question:

Touchè. Kelly is a beast. His health status has to be a bonus.

I'd love to play DT in the NFL too. But I'm 6' 170. But I'll take the paycheck. Do you think he will be drafted? If so, where? I know his NFL stats (that company that puts out ratings after each game grading the entire performance from a pro perspective) were pretty good. While I am one who was disappointed with his out put, there is a lot more to playing Dline than lighting up the stat box.

I hope you're right. Gaulden was talented. My guess was off the fact Sutton went late (5th round I think, but don't quote me). However Gaulden has the size. I would like to know the over under.

I don't wish any ill will toward QD or any player. Especially a Vols player. I wouldn't want to ride the bench either. Plus he will graduate in the spring. Hard to knock a kid if he got his degree.

Edit: NM, Suttn got drafted in the 3rd round, my bad. Not exactly late:unsure:

Mc needs to do well at pro day and the combine. I'm not even sure of picking order or the teams that run a 3-4 or 4-3 or if he grades any better for a particular system. Butch seems to have been better at "particular" position skill sets rather than putting all the pieces together.

A better line on Gaulden would probably 4.5 taking away a push. If he eats, sleeps and drinks combine I could see him 3rd round as well(I didn't catch that about Sutton. It didn't stop me from quoting you.).

"Kick rocks" has always seemed like a harsh send off rather than a way to wish them well. I think QD still has his eyes on the NFL rather than looking for a 9-5 next January. I've got no hard feelings either.

No matter where he goes he's going to be starting over. Like Hooker said, why not at least play through spring and see if he can secure the starting job? Dormady, Boulware, Gaulden, Kelly, McKenzie, etc. There's always attrition during a coaching change but damn.

because he was guaranteed starter after dobbs left. Now he has to actually compete. nothing given, pre-determined.

Remember that Kiffin ran off B.J. Coleman and our free safety. Can't remember the safety's name but he played 2 seasons, then left school and then returned but Kiffin ran him off.
Maybe Pruitt needs to make room for other recruits, yet to be signed. Maybe they feel that they will be recruited over. Maybe Dormady wants to be guaranteed a starting job and with a transfer to a lesser division school, he may get that. Maybe Gaulden is listening to Sutton or some of former Tennessee db's and has decided to take a plunge.
I think Kelly is making a bad decision because there are 22 running backs entering the draft this season. He is likely to fall very, very far or may end up being a free agent like A. Foster did. OR maybe Kelly realizes that his playing time will be shared with other players and his stats won't be as good next for the 2019 NFL draft.

yep...i agree

Kelly won't go undrafted for the very reason he is leaving early, attrition. Someone will pick him up to have him on the bench just in case. I hope he gets paid.

Last edited:
At least until injuries hit and they are putting walk on's and freshmen on the field who really aren't prepared.

That was butch jones putting players not prepared on the field!(even 2-3 year players)
I think the Pruit staff will have them prepared!
If it’s down to walk ons they may not be very good, but they will be prepared

If CBJ was still here that means last season would have been drastically different and therefore you have no idea what the transfers and early outs would have looked like.

Correct. Almost certainly significantly less defections. Translating into wins? Highly doubtful.

VN Store

Back