Why transfers and early NFL entries

Good summary and I agree with you.

Did they limit the # of scholarships that programs can offer each year?

Seems Butch signed 30+ one year due to attrition. I read on here that they were changing it to a set # of 25 no matter how many spots had opened up.

Reactions: 1 person
Lazy excuse of writing. Each situation different. To me, Dormandy (had to do it for last time), was probably not entirely healed and going to be working up hill to win starting spot, so he's going somewhere can play. Don't blame him, but injury has to be part of it. Don't really blame Kelly, but Mac and Gaulden are head scratchers.

If the injury is still a factor, maybe he uses his unburnt redshirt in a transfer year. Pick a compatible program with a QB in his last season and no hotshot heir apparents. He might want to check out that program in Ames, Iowa.

Last edited:
1) I don't think players are leaving without giving it a lot of thought and getting some assurance things will be better if they move on.
2) Easy to bash Jones but, up to 2017 USCe game, I thought the team was still mentally tough and winning. I think the 2017 Vandy loss, Dobbs moving on, chaos of inexperienced QBs, Larry Scott, continued injuries, and then the Admin pulling the plug drove the players away. Except for a few malcontents, most of the players appeared to support Jones.
3) Now the exodus is primarily due to likely less playing time for some, other perceived opportunities, and going from soft practices and big heads to boot camp and kick butt. The tough will survive and prosper, the weak will be gone.

There was major dysfunction, dissention and drama under Butch. Unfortunately that lingers with the remaining players.

The three that declared early will all get drafted. Maybe not as high as their potential, but why risk one year under a new regime? Especially after he quagmire they just lived through.

Plus, nothing against Pruitt, but his time at Bama took time away he had to meet with these guys and win them over.

Clemson, on the other hand, just had some highly projected players say they were staying. Why? It's a highly functioning program.

Kelly, McKenzie, and Gaulden should have all waited another year--none will likely be high draft picks. Now Dormady is transferring out, even though there is not much reason to think he couldn't be our starter next year. Why?

Hooker, who I thought was one of the best local beat writers, opens the subject. I just wish he had gone a little more in depth with the whole Jones culture.

I'm not a Jones basher, but I'm curious to know some inside details from a decent reporter with no axe to grind.

Quinten Dormady's transfer more evidence of mistrust inside Vols program

Kelly can get drafted not high but could be a steal for a good team.

Gualden could have played another year to up draft stock, but will probably make a roster somewhere in the NFL!

McKenzie just doesn't want to have to compete. Lazy in MHO.

Dormady only has 1 year to play so he has to put himself in the best position to get to the next level. I don't blame him one bit for leaving

But he obviously didn't feel confindent in being able to win the starting QB job this fall since he won't be able to compete in the spring due to his recovery.

I believe that Butch had a horrible culture, but I felt like Hooker was blaming it on Pruitt and the players not trusting him, which I beleive is total BS. JMHO!

At least until injuries hit and they are putting walk on's and freshmen on the field who really aren't prepared.

Freshmen can be prepared and contribute so this is not always true. Pruitt just came from a school that played a freshman QB the whole 2nd half and freshman RB often in the 2nd half of the NC game. Also a freshman WR caught the winning TD pass. There were others at times on the field too. Unfortunately UT has never had track record of really getting young guys ready, although many freshmen played for CBJ because they were the best we had. This is why I am excited to get a coaching staff that can actually coach up players and I have my fingers crosses that this new staff will do that better than any we've had in recent memory.

Kelly can get drafted not high but could be a steal for a good team.

Gualden could have played another year to up draft stock, but will probably make a roster somewhere in the NFL!

McKenzie just doesn't want to have to compete. Lazy in MHO.

Dormady only has 1 year to play so he has to put himself in the best position to get to the next level. I don't blame him one bit for leaving

But he obviously didn't feel confindent in being able to win the starting QB job this fall since he won't be able to compete in the spring due to his recovery.

I believe that Butch had a horrible culture, but I felt like Hooker was blaming it on Pruitt and the players not trusting him, which I beleive is total BS. JMHO!

Agree with all of this, very well stated imho.

Reactions: 2 people
Who cares if they are high draft picks?

If they can just make a team, they will make more than all other 2018 UT graduates.

Some fans dont understand that 95% of these kids arent here to just play for UT. They're here to get to the NFL. Thats their 1 goal and dream. Most of them will jump at it the first chance they get, and I cant blame them for that. People leaving early is actually a good sign, it means we finally have some talent. If I were you guys Id get used to it. Pruitt is bringing in 3 year guys.

hate to say this, but if you guys are worried about transfers now, wait until after spring ball. I would say 2-3 more will transfer once they get a taste of Pruitt's style of coaching. Its not for everybody. Most likely will be more uppperclassman imo.

The old culture was very comfortable to some, probably most, of these guys. They are going to be working harder up there now, not sure if it makes any difference in win total, but not so much of a fun zone anymore.

Lazy excuse of writing. Each situation different. To me, Dormandy (had to do it for last time), was probably not entirely healed and going to be working up hill to win starting spot, so he's going somewhere can play. Don't blame him, but injury has to be part of it. Don't really blame Kelly, but Mac and Gaulden are head scratchers.

Gaulden had been here 4 years and felt he has enough highlights for scouts to watch. If MacKenzie drew the double team in the 4-3, you can bet it wouldn't get easier in the middle of the 3-4. But anytime you have a coaching change, even if the next staff seems better, more guys eligible for the draft will take their chances rather than start over at square 1. If there is any common reason, it's that.

DH is stirring up trouble, he is marketing speculative statements without any creditable sources, which are par for his lake of any sustance......John2.0

No matter where he goes he's going to be starting over. Like Hooker said, why not at least play through spring and see if he can secure the starting job? Dormady, Boulware, Gaulden, Kelly, McKenzie, etc. There's always attrition during a coaching change but damn.

You get hit twice on a coaching change - the recruiting class takes a hit and then you have attrition from those on the roster...

Hopefully we can keep the remaining roster intact and add some more quality by signing day.

I think Pruitt can build a pretty good D with what we have coming back next year...

With only 1 year to get NFL attention he will probably go to a school that wants him to throw the ball 30+ times a game...I'm think Pruitt will want to go a more physical running attack and use the pass less...QD needs to go to a school like Western Ky and throw for 3000 yards...he is a drop back pocket passer and why he let Butch talk him into coming play in Butch's O is still a mystery to me...

An article written for the sake of writing an article. If QD is transferring and has a distrust of college coaches then he will have the same distrust where he transfers. I believe there are team chemistry issues that are under the surface that we aren't hearing about. There is no one left except for BD and Coach Gillespie that was here 6 weeks ago. Who does he not trust here now?

SIAP. Kmac has likely determined that under 3-4 defense he will not likely beat out both Tuttle and A Johnson for nose tackle job, and he's too big and slow to be DE, so time to move on. Or he just didn't want to play in 3-4 system. His dad may also have used NFL connections to get a candid appraisal of his chances in NFL and determined be can find a place somewhere even if not upper rounds.

Freshmen can be prepared and contribute so this is not always true. Pruitt just came from a school that played a freshman QB the whole 2nd half and freshman RB often in the 2nd half of the NC game. Also a freshman WR caught the winning TD pass. There were others at times on the field too. Unfortunately UT has never had track record of really getting young guys ready, although many freshmen played for CBJ because they were the best we had. This is why I am excited to get a coaching staff that can actually coach up players and I have my fingers crosses that this new staff will do that better than any we've had in recent memory.

Don't disagree that freshmen can be prepared but it remains to be seen how well this staff does on their own and with less talented players than the likes of Alabama and USC are bringing in.

Talented as Tagavailoa is, he saw a good bit of mop up duty throughout the season and only got called in out of desperation in the second half.

SIAP. Kmac has likely determined that under 3-4 defense he will not likely beat out both Tuttle and A Johnson for nose tackle job, and he's too big and slow to be DE, so time to move on. Or he just didn't want to play in 3-4 system. His dad may also have used NFL connections to get a candid appraisal of his chances in NFL and determined be can find a place somewhere even if not upper rounds.

I think Kmac would have made a great nose tackle in UT's 3-4...his biggest asset is his ability to occupy space and not get moved out easily...haven't seen enough of Johnson to know if he could play NT...I think Tuttle's strength would be playing DT/DE in a 3-4...

It will be interesting to see what Pruitt does with the D...

VN Store

Back