Why Tennessee Fans Should Be Excited About Freshman QB Quinten Dormady - BR

No. We will have 4 qbs on the roster this fall. Three of the qbs are black, 1 is white, and despite empirical evidence that the white QB is on par athletically with 2 of the black qbs, and throws the football exponentially better than the 1 black QB that he can't compete with athletically, the white QB is the one that's gonna transfer because he "doesn't fit the offense". I'm simply reading between the lines and doing what I'm pretty sure is the math.

Also, IMHO, it's as ignorant to say that QD can't run our spread offense as it would've been to say that Boyd couldn't be a great college QB throwing from the pocket. Neither is a true statement or informed opinion.

OMG more baltimore fallout!

I'm not desperate for a white QB in the least. Maybe you haven't noticed that I'm arguably the biggest, most ardent defender of Joshua Dobbs on this board....and he's very much a black young man. I'm also thrilled to have the other 2 young black qbs who seem to be not only immensely talented as well as outstanding kids. I'm just not a big fan of people stereotyping a kid...Dormady....before they've even seen him play a collegiate down. That's all.
It's obvious to stand-up folks that you're not racially biased, and you've not appeared to be so inclined, IMO. It's hardly anyone on VN, but here are just a couple of fans who pose objectivity while shallowly displaying their obvious subjective perspectives. The fellow clearly doesn't want a white qb at UT, but can't just come out and iterate his actual cultural bias. QD's the man and if someone can beat him out...then that's just fine...to most of us. All that will mean is an even stronger bench and a brighter future on the Hill. On the other hand..........................................:cool2:

Reactions: 2 people
Between QD, JJ, SJ, Dobbs, and Guarantano, we should be set at the QB position for the next 5 or so years.

I understand your point the Vols have a lot of solid prospects at QB, but IMO that's the wrong mentality, recruiting NEVER STOPS. The Vols must keep recruiting top prospects at each position regardless of who may be enrolled, signed or committed.

What does color have to do with the QB position? Torrance Gibson can't fit our offense, and he's black.

That appears to be the argument of those that predicted that QD would transfer. The "he doesn't fit our offense" statement = he's white so he's not athletic enough. They persist with this opinion even after given his good 40 time and outstanding shuttle time. And yeah, I'm a little salty with this line of thinking....kinda in the same way I dqon't care for how some posters say Dobbs can't hit the broad side of a barn or "didn't complete a pass beyond 10 yards last year"....

Meh. Those same people also typically refer to him as Dormandy.

What does color have to do with the QB position? Torrance Gibson can't fit our offense, and he's black.

Absolutely nothing. If you can run 4.7, an elite shuttle time and throw the hell out of the ball, I think you're potentially a very good candidate for QB-ing Butch's offense, not a very good candidate to transfer before you even make it to your first fall camp.

He said that he is very comparible to Dobbs size and speed. Dobbs is a far better pure athlete then QD will every be. JMO

I said "at this point in his career"....meaning prior to his freshman season.

But you knew that. Your bias is showing again.

Reactions: 1 person
It's nice to have quality depth at QB.

Amen. This is the first time in several years that I'm not cringing at the thought of our starter being out for a game or two. Ironically, I was even worried about Dobbs (and especially Peterman) as Worley's backups the past couple of years. Of course, that was before Josh's field savvy became evident last fall, and his throwing accuracy ramped up so much this spring.

Three months ago, keeping Josh healthy through the season was one of the two big keys to success in 2015 (along with significant improvement on the OLine). Today, we still want to keep Josh healthy, but I'm not sure it kills the season's goals if Josh misses a game or two, particularly post-Alabama ... by the tail end of the season, I think Quinten (or Sheriron, if he comes in blazing and wins the backup spot) will be able to hold their own against the November schedule.

Last edited:
I was getting real excited that this kid is in our QB meeting room based on Spring reports and what we saw at the O&W game. But then I had a bunch of guys on here tell me he's most likely to transfer because he "doesn't fit our offense" ( codewords for "he's white"), so now I'm not sure what to think.

Anywho, "somebody" is gonna get a good QB by the time he's done with his collegiate career imo.

Manziel was white(sort of) and he was really fast, Jordan lynch from Northern Illinois had some wheels. The color of someone's skin doesn't affect speed. Josh smith is our fastest WR

Manziel was white(sort of) and he was really fast, Jordan lynch from Northern Illinois had some wheels. The color of someone's skin doesn't affect speed. Josh smith is our fastest WR

Agreed. My assertion has been that Dormady's "speed statistics", which help define athletic ability, seem to show that he's a pretty dynamic runner and likely capable of running this offense effectively. He has run a 4.7 40, right in the neighborhood with both Dobbs and Jones..and that he also recorded an elite shuttle time. I don't know how he will perform, but, given the times he has recorded, it's an uninformed opinion that says he'll surely transfer because he "doesn't fit the offense", especially before any of us had seen him take a single collegiate snap.

Btw...Manziel is "sort of" white? Lol. How so?

Agreed. My assertion has been that Dormady's "speed statistics", which help define athletic ability, seem to show that he's a pretty dynamic runner and likely capable of running this offense effectively. He has run a 4.7 40, right in the neighborhood with both Dobbs and Jones..and that he also recorded an elite shuttle time. I don't know how he will perform, but, given the times he has recorded, it's an uninformed opinion that says he'll surely transfer because he "doesn't fit the offense", especially before any of us had seen him take a single collegiate snap.

Btw...Manziel is "sort of" white? Lol. How so?

Can you point me in the direction where people said he "doesn't fit the offense". The write up was nothing but positive and there was no mention in this thread, so maybe I just don't lurk enough.

Almost everyone can clearly see Dormady is number 2 with the only real threat being Jones when he gets in.....and even for that to happen Jones would have to exceed most people expectations which would be a pleasant surprise.

Can you point me in the direction where people said he "doesn't fit the offense". The write up was nothing but positive and there was no mention in this thread, so maybe I just don't lurk enough.

Almost everyone can clearly see Dormady is number 2 with the only real threat being Jones when he gets in.....and even for that to happen Jones would have to exceed most people expectations which would be a pleasant surprise.

Write up was good. I honestly don't recall exactly when and which threads...but distinctly recall a handful of posters saying not only did QD not fit our offense, but that they felt confident he was destined to transfer. One of the posters with that opinion has posted recently in this thread, a page or 2 back, although he now says his opinion isn't based on QD's "fit" for the offense.

I saw a lot of the "QD doesn't fit our system, butch wants a mobile QB". Nevermind the fact that he's the same speed at the 40 that Sheriron Jones is and is .25s faster in the 20y shuttle.

People were, lets just say, looking at face value and making extremely ill-informed and reactionary judgements based on very shallow and superficial things.

I saw a lot of the "QD doesn't fit our system, butch wants a mobile QB". Nevermind the fact that he's the same speed at the 40 that Sheriron Jones is and is .25s faster in the 20y shuttle.

People were, lets just say, looking at face value and making extremely ill-informed and reactionary judgements based on very shallow and superficial things.

Exactly. And the thing that got me salty in conjunction with this were the proclamations that he was certain to transfer...the kid hadn't even gotten his dorm room situated yet.

I can see Quinten Dormady putting up big #'s for the Vol's in the not so distant future, can't you?

VN Store

Back