Why Tennessee Fans Should Be Excited About Freshman QB Quinten Dormady - BR

Joshua Dobbs QB 75
6-3 212 5
JR Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta
12 dormady quinten
Quinten Dormady QB 76
6-4 213 1
FR Boerne, Texas/Boerne

According to Utsports.com Tennessee Roster QD is 1 inch taller than Dobbs and 1 pound heavier...that is hardly a much larger frame....pretty evenly matched to me....but"i am bias"

He's probably referring to when they came out of high school...Dobbs was about 185.

I was getting real excited that this kid is in our QB meeting room based on Spring reports and what we saw at the O&W game. But then I had a bunch of guys on here tell me he's most likely to transfer because he "doesn't fit our offense" ( codewords for "he's white"), so now I'm not sure what to think.

Sort of like how Zach Calleros didn't fit Butch's offense?

I think most of that came from him being labeled a pro style QB by recruiting services, not from him being white. Jmo

Sheriron Jones lists that he runs 4.71 on his HUDL. His 4.4 listed shuttle time is .3 slower than Dormady's. When I've heard people discuss Jones's game, they've consistently said that while Jones certainly can run, he much prefers to stay in the pocket to throw the ball. So while he's labeled a dual threat QB, he plays more like a pros style QB. I have no doubt that Sheriron can sling the old pigskin, but I'm hard pressed to believe he throws it better than QD. Finally, Dobbs was also listed as a pro style QB who ran 4.8 or 4.9.......none of these facts seem to make a dent in the opinions of those who cling the idea that QD just doesn't fit our offense is destined to sign his transfer paperwork sooner than later. I don't get it. Perhaps my math is off.

Reactions: 2 people
Sheriron Jones lists that he runs 4.71 on his HUDL. His 4.4 listed shuttle time is .3 slower than Dormady's. When I've heard people discuss Jones's game, they've consistently said that while Jones certainly can run, he much prefers to stay in the pocket to throw the ball. So while he's labeled a dual threat QB, he plays more like a pros style QB. I have no doubt that Sheriron can sling the old pigskin, but I'm hard pressed to believe he throws it better than QD. Finally, Dobbs was also listed as a pro style QB who ran 4.8 or 4.9.......none of these facts seem to make a dent in the opinions of those who cling the idea that QD just doesn't fit our offense is destined to sign his transfer paperwork sooner than later. I don't get it. Perhaps my math is off.

its just my opinion...i hope hes a stud at QB for us but i really don't care who starts at QB as long as we win...i just don't think it will end up being him...People get so defensive over an 18 old kid they never met. I am a vol fan and all i care about is that they play and win. i DON'T CARE WHO STARTS....I am just stating that QD doesn't look like the best future QB to me...no offense to QD i just liked the style of Sheridon Jones. I am just trying to state an opinion...one hit to the shoulder the wrong way (God Forbid)and QD could be finished for good i am just not putting all of my eggs in one basket since there are so many different talented baskets to put them in....Our future at QB should be bright, but it doesn't have to be with QD.

i will say it is my opinion that QD will Transfer sooner or later...JMO. I will say it has nothing to do with him fitting our offense or not. I have seen all 3 of the other freshmen highlight tapes and Guarantino (Probably just hacked his name sorry) I just believe that he will get beat out by one of the other 3. My bet on our future quarterback is Sheidan Jones but that is just my observation. He may not transfer but i believe he won't ever be the full time starter. Once again no knock on the kid he is a good athlete, i wish him luck. I just believe that he isn't the future quarterback of the University of Tennessee Volunteers. Good thing we have Dobbs for 2 more years it will be a heck of a battle for whoever wins the starting job after him. I am glad its 2 years away so one of them can develop and be the field general for this high speed offense.

1. It's Guarantano
2. It's Sheriron, not Sheidan
3. After watching everybody's HighSchool film, what exactly did you see that leads you to believe everybody will beat out Dormady, (even though you evidently do believe that QD is a good fit for our offense), which will eventually lead to QD's departure from the program?

1. It's Guarantano
2. It's Sheriron, not Sheidan
3. After watching everybody's HighSchool film, what exactly did you see that leads you to believe everybody will beat out Dormady, (even though you evidently do believe that QD is a good fit for our offense), which will eventually lead to QD's departure from the program?

Thanks for the spellcheck.....it is JMO. I mean he threw one good pass to a receiver who was running past a second team defender and all of a sudden he is the next Payton Manning. The one time he was hurried he threw a bad pass that hit the linebacker in the chest and would have went for 6 the other direction against any team in the SEC. I am just saying i am not saying he won't be the starter because he isn't a good fit in our offense like others on here. I am saying that i believe that he won't win the starting job after Dobbs is gone.

I don't know how else to interpret it Fade. Kid runs 4.7, posted a quicker shuttle time than Torrance Gibson and most every other highly ranked QB in the 2015 class. He sure as hell can throw the crap out of a football. What about that screams to some guys on here that he'll certainly transfer because he doesn't "fit the offense". And all this before any of these geniuses had ever seen him take a snap.

A lot of opinions , not a lot of knowlege.

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't fit our system is "code for he's white"? Does that mean Tajh Boyd was white? Or because it was a Pro-style Offense back then, it was "code for he's black"? I'm confused.

No. We will have 4 qbs on the roster this fall. Three of the qbs are black, 1 is white, and despite empirical evidence that the white QB is on par athletically with 2 of the black qbs, and throws the football exponentially better than the 1 black QB that he can't compete with athletically, the white QB is the one that's gonna transfer because he "doesn't fit the offense". I'm simply reading between the lines and doing what I'm pretty sure is the math.

Also, IMHO, it's as ignorant to say that QD can't run our spread offense as it would've been to say that Boyd couldn't be a great college QB throwing from the pocket. Neither is a true statement or informed opinion.

Last edited:
its just my opinion...i hope hes a stud at QB for us but i really don't care who starts at QB as long as we win...i just don't think it will end up being him...People get so defensive over an 18 old kid they never met. I am a vol fan and all i care about is that they play and win. i DON'T CARE WHO STARTS....I am just stating that QD DOESN'T LOOK LIKE the best future QB to me...no offense to QD i just liked the style of SHERIRON Jones. I am just trying to state an opinion...one hit to the shoulder the wrong way (God Forbid)and QD could be finished for good i am just not putting all of my eggs in one basket since there are so many different talented baskets to put them in....Our future at QB should be bright, but it doesn't have to be with QD...OR SJ...OR JJ...OR JG...OR HJ...OR...?????????

What are you actually "looking at"? And if you're pulling for SHERIRON why don't you get his name right?

Thanks for the spellcheck.....it is JMO. I mean he threw one good pass to a receiver who was running past a second team defender and all of a sudden he is the next Payton Manning. The one time he was hurried he threw a bad pass that hit the linebacker in the chest and would have went for 6 the other direction against any team in the SEC. I am just saying i am not saying he won't be the starter because he isn't a good fit in our offense like others on here. I am saying that i believe that he won't win the starting job after Dobbs is gone.

Apparently you don't need to even throw a pass to be the next great thing...you've already handed the backup job to a kid that may not have attended his prom yet...much less thrown to a college receiver.

1. It's Peyton, not Payton.
2. Dormady was universally praised for his Spring practice performance, with most pointing out that he was much further along than expected given he couldn't pick up a football for 1-2 months after shoulder surgery.
3. By all accounts, QD is well ahead of Jennings in the battle to be Dobbs' backup.
4. Our opinions obviously differ, even though I couldn't care less who actually wins the backup job this year and the starting job in 2017.

Reactions: 2 people
Many opinions, little knowledge.......there you go Freak. Translate it into Latin and you might have something to add to the banner page.

Reactions: 3 people
1. It's Peyton, not Payton.
2. Dormady was universally praised for his Spring practice performance, with most pointing out that he was much further along than expected given he couldn't pick up a football for 1-2 months after shoulder surgery.
3. By all accounts, QD is well ahead of Jennings in the battle to be Dobbs' backup.
4. Our opinions obviously differ, even though I couldn't care less who actually wins the backup job this year and the starting job in 2017.

I say ban anyone that misspelled Peyton especially if they're acting like they have knowledge about UT quarterbacks

Reactions: 4 people
Dormady is the real deal and Vol fans may become quite accustomed to hearing his name.........heaven forbid injury to .......
Go Vol's

No. We will have 4 qbs on the roster this fall. Three of the qbs are black, 1 is white, and despite empirical evidence that the white QB is on par athletically with 2 of the black qbs, and throws the football exponentially better than the 1 black QB that he can't compete with athletically, the white QB is the one that's gonna transfer because he "doesn't fit the offense". I'm simply reading between the lines and doing what I'm pretty sure is the math.

Also, IMHO, it's as ignorant to say that QD can't run our spread offense as it would've been to say that Boyd couldn't be a great college QB throwing from the pocket. Neither is a true statement or informed opinion.

If you're so desperate for a white QB, don't worry. We'll most likely have Hunter Johnson in 2017.

I think a big kid who can run a 4.7 and can throw a pass downfield 30 yards, hit a receiver in full stride can find a spot in this offense.

I'm confused. So why would people say QD is going to transfer because he doesn't fit our system? I'm pretty sure if he didn't think he fit the system he wouldn't have signed a LOI nor would the coaching staff actively recruited him. Plus why would he commit to us and then transfer and lose a year of eligibility? Goes to show you most people don't think before they speak

Reactions: 4 people
Butch recruited him as a clipboard holder / sideline play caller and figured the QB on the field could find him on the sideline quicker since he was white.

Reactions: 5 people
Between QD, JJ, SJ, Dobbs, and Guarantano, we should be set at the QB position for the next 5 or so years.

Make Jennings a slot WR who can throw a well placed bomb on a reverse!

Then we will just have to deal with the inevitable transfer of one other QB unless they are re-purposed.

If you're so desperate for a white QB, don't worry. We'll most likely have Hunter Johnson in 2017.

I'm not desperate for a white QB in the least. Maybe you haven't noticed that I'm arguably the biggest, most ardent defender of Joshua Dobbs on this board....and he's very much a black young man. I'm also thrilled to have the other 2 young black qbs who seem to be not only immensely talented as well as outstanding kids. I'm just not a big fan of people stereotyping a kid...Dormady....before they've even seen him play a collegiate down. That's all.

VN Store

Back