Why Saban is so successful

Franklin51

Was thinking about this while watching some old 30 for 30s. He is still old school to a point. None of the let's advertise our sleep studies stuff like Butch has pulled. Dabo is much the same. I honestly hope UT hires a guy with old school mentality but has adapted to the changing game instead of some quirky flash in the pan salesman. Tennessee sells itself

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person
He spends more time thinking about football and less time thinking up “cool” isms to dribble out of his mouth at press conferences.

Reactions: 4 people
Attention to details.

All coaches use it as a catch phrase, the great ones like Saban live by it.

Some others.

1. He essentially total control over his program from top to bottom. He had to be given that for it to happen.

2. He employees a great staff and draws great coaches when he has an opening. His sub staff (film watchers) is an advantaged that is overlooked.

3. He gets the best players.

4. He never appears to be satisfied with being the best. This makes him a difficult guy to deal with as a boss and player, but its also the reason why his team doesn't slip to 8 and 9 wins in his "down years".

Reactions: 5 people
Because Bama gave him complete control. Lots of politics in college athletics and when you can have it your way as a coach and get what you want it will take you further than most realize. Also, a plus when you're an elite coach to boot like Saban.

Was thinking about this while watching some old 30 for 30s. He is still old school to a point. None of the let's advertise our sleep studies stuff like Butch has pulled. Dabo is much the same. I honestly hope UT hires a guy with old school mentality but has adapted to the changing game instead of some quirky flash in the pan salesman. Tennessee sells itself

Saban was one of the first to spend big money on things such as sports psychologists. He has a small army of people who do monitor similar things to what you're complaining about. He's in no way old school in that regard, nor do I think you can be successful being old school in an anti scientific way.

Saban was one of the first to spend big money on things such as sports psychologists. He has a small army of people who do monitor similar things to what you're complaining about. He's in no way old school in that regard, nor do I think you can be successful being old school in an anti scientific way.

No stone unturned...

Details most don't even see.

Reactions: 2 people
Attention to details.

Some others.

1. He essentially total control over his program from top to bottom. He had to be given that for it to happen.

2. He employees a great staff and draws great coaches when he has an opening. His sub staff (film watchers) is an advantaged that is overlooked.

4. He never appears to be satisfied with being the best. This makes him a difficult guy to deal with as a boss and player, but its also the reason why his team doesn't slip to 8 and 9 wins in his "down years".

Spot on! 👍

Old school is such a relative term. If by old school you mean that he has lots of coaches/ support staff dedicated to success then yes he is old school. He must be able to build some type of positive relationship with at least the athletes or he would not be able to push them so hard. The best athletes for competing for each position certainly helps.

He's a very good x and o coach who has managed to recruit at unprecedented levels. The only other coach I can remember recruiting like this was Bowden at Florida State and even it wasn't quite this good. It's why FSU finished in the top 4 for 12 or 13 years in a row.

Attention to details.

Some others.

Your opening line, plus #1 and #3 are the answer.

This discussion topic isn't about Tennessee Vols Football so it should be moved to the Around the NCAA forum or some other more appropriate forum.

He's successful because he's basically a football coaching robot. He's an extremely hard worker, he demands perfection from every player and staff member and holds them accountable. The guy is the Belichek of college football. Players respect him and play hard for him because they know he is the best at what he does and he will get the best out of them. And the results speak for themselves.

Maybe the most impressive thing about Saban is how he keeps 5* studs buried on the depth chart from transferring.

I seriously doubt any of us on this board knows why he is so successful. Many coaches don't know. It appears the only coach that worked for Saban and understood is Kirby Smart.

In short, he has the following:

1. He is the best recruiter
2. He has the best scheme.
3. He has the best development program.

... Someone stated earlier how impressive it was for him to keep 5 stars buried on the depth chart. That isn't totally true, as Bama does have players transfer (i.e. Blake Barnett, Alvin Kamara, etc.), but what is true is that a player who signs with Bama is almost guaranteed to win at least one National Championship and multiple SEC titles. And, when they get on the field, they will most certainly make an NFL roster.

Anyway, I can't stand Bammers! GBO!

I don't disagree but he doesn't parade it around and make it the focal point of his program

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Attention to details.

Some others.

hates losing more than loves winning. so much so, virtually everything he does and prepares for, is to prevent the things that prevent winning.

there is a difference between that, and playing not to lose....a difference some can't/don't understand.

short answer, he's the best leader of an organization in all of college football. yes, he gets the best players, but he's able to manage that, the roster, the staff, the analysts, the fans, the media, etc, etc, etc...better than anyone else in college football.

most of his advantages lie with his core philosophy on how to be a leader, and what he is willing to do to see it come to fruition throughout the program, and have the entire program take on the same identity, and buy in to it all.

1. The hire got a lot of hype for whatever reason and recruits started flocking to Alabama. Without all those studs, he's just another decent football coach.

2. He demands excellence from his assistants.

3. He is probably the best CEO in college football. I don't think he is like an x and o type genius, he's been out coached a handful of times with the best players in America.

Saban and Geno Auriemma have this same ability to convince high school kids that their fecal matter smells like Chanel No. 5, then when they get them on campus, they proceed to "derecruit" them and get them to the point that they ask Coach's permission before they take a breath.

The kids either leave the program (very few actually do) or completely trust their Dear Leader and obey him.

Satan and Geno are both evil, but I do recommend reading Auriemma's book about coaching. These people are truly evil geniuses.

VN Store

Back