WHY - recruits

IMO the class is playing out as expected. Has been headed for a middle of the SEC finish for quite a while. If you grasp reality in July, you won't be as disappointed in February.

Reactions: 1 person
Why is it that TN cannot recruit 4 and 5 star players.
In the past few years, teams that have a roster full of
4 and 5 star recruits are alway playing at the top or near
the top.
Why do the better players not want to come to TN?.

Don't you know the 4 and 5 star recruits are overrated and 3 star recruits are underrated!

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

I would give 24/7 about a 5+- margin for error and Rivals a .25 +- margin for error when it is all said and done. Those sites are cute and in gross evaluations the best classes are successful but boiling numbers down that far really has little bearing on the true quality of a class.

Oh you would huh? Well, that certainly settles it

Oh you would huh? Well, that certainly settles it

Point being its not the be all end all of measuring future success nor a deviance of a few points tells you which class is going to perform better, ma'am.

Why is it that TN cannot recruit 4 and 5 star players.
In the past few years, teams that have a roster full of
4 and 5 star recruits are alway playing at the top or near
the top.
Why do the better players not want to come to TN?.

Why do people post warmed-over rehashes of the same garbage?

Yes, we know, you kick your dog every time CBJ signs a 3*. Enough.

Reactions: 2 people
Lol most teams competing for the ships are loaded with many 4 and 5*s. Teams like Washington has many lower rated players....but have way better developers than what this staff had.

TN probably doesn't have the success they had in the 90s without having many players who were some of the best at their positions.

No matter how many times you tell people the truth it doesn't mean they'll believe it. It's been proven that if you recruit in the top 10 nationally you'll more than likely be a top 10 program. The schools that are in worse conferences can avoid recruiting good and dominate their conference games.

Compare recruiting class ranks and end of season polls and you'll notice a pretty good correlation most years, but yeah let's load up on 3 stars that's the answer to some.

Louisiana is loaded with talent and very little in state competition for those players. Realistically any buffoon (see Ed Orgeron) should be able to compete for and win championships. Their Achilles heel in recent past has been at the QB position.

Florida and Georgia also loaded with talent. Over the years UT has pulled a lot of 4-5* from Georgia.
Will it happen this year? Probably not.

Butch will need to hit up Fulmer for some magic fairy dust to pull off 10 wins in 2017. If he can manage to get double digit wins he'll pull in a strong 2018 class. Only time will tell

Tennessee is loaded with talent this year

We are doing just fine.. plus these 3*s have some talent. They will be okay. We've had great classes the past few years.. its ok to not have such a highly rated class every once in a while.. still a top 10 class even with the 22 3*s we have at the moment.. WE ARE FINE

I think we have done terrible the last few years.

UT is bringing in some of the best talent in over 20 years our roster us loaded with some of the best players in the nation. Yeah this year hasnt been the best but still have got some great talent and its not even signing day yet. Everyone just needs to be patient and let butch and company do work.

Trey Smith is a great young man who is a 5 star and will dominate at the College level and be a 1st round pick. I watch tape of kids and I will tell you that Locklear and Calbert are going to be really good player in their own right. Dont look at their stars because I have seen some of the highly rated OL in All Star games and tape and I would not trade these two for many of them.
What do you look for on tape for offensive linemen? And for WR?

Those 3 coaches are not good

As much as I hate in butch the reality is that a lot of top programs have settled for average coaching. How do teams like Washington, Utah, va tech, and tcu ha e great coaching while us, lsu, Uga, and uf don't have great coaching? Makes no sense

Well, before this past season started, we had the same number of 4/5* players as 2/3* players. So apparently your theory is just completely wrong, OP.

5-stars = 2
4-stars = 37
3-stars = 37
2-stars = 2

I think the coaches have found some gems, no doubt, but I agree they seem to have gotten a bit too cute this class. I think they are really confident in their evaluations regardless of the star ratings. They have focused a lot of effort on a number of 3* players and quickly filled up the class.

If you are a top SEC school giving 3* players a lot of attention, then of course they are going to committ to you. I also think the number of three star guys may have led some higher recruits to second guess their thoughts about TN.

On the plus side, I think we have some hidden talent and also have guys who we can rely on to work hard and earn their playing time. No more primadonnas.

Butch has only had 1 top 5 class here and that was 2015

2013 was 24th
2014 was 7th
2015 was 2nd
2016 was 14th

Average of 11th

What you really should look at is the rank among SEC schools

2013 was 8th
2014 was 5th
2015 was 2nd
2016 was 7th

Average of 5th in the SEC

This is the talent we have to match up against 8 games out of the year.

Gets it.

Isn't 5* Trey Smith, the #1 overall player on Espn, an Early enrollee at Tennessee.

Yes but apparently some people on Volnation don't look at ESPN rankings. They only follow hype machine and overpaid rivals.com and FYI...they get there rankings based on who attends what camps. The legit rankings actually go out and watch and talent observe.

People need to get off CBJ. He inherited a team that only had 63 scholarship players and won 5 games with them. Season 2 he was up to 76 scholarship players and won 7 with a bowl! Year 3 and 4 he has the team back to 85 scholarship players now and is now building serious depth. This was never a 4 yr project. Rebuilding Tennessee after Kiffy and Doolaid was minimum 6-7 yrs. That's not orange blood talking that's a fact!

Good grief and he's had us ranked in the top 10 in recruiting for the 4th straight season now. We are on the cusp of being back on top. Just a couple more seasons and we are there.

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

We have recruited 4* and 5* players. Remember Daniel Brooks? Remember North?
My point is that we have recruited plenty of 4* & 5* players who have not lived up to their 4* & 5* expectations. Yet, there are some 3*'s who have exceeded our expectations.
Maybe, just maybe 4* & 5* players aren't the answer. Sure, it is always good to get a couple in every recruiting class but maybe a player has been overlooked due to injury or their playing in a small conference.
Patrick Willis? J.J. Watts?

In individual cases, you are correct. But ”stars" as an average across a class or group of classes is about the best "science" available to indicate a championship opportunity. Take a look at the past 10 or so national championship teams. You will be hard hard pressed to find one without consistent top 5 / top 10 avg "star ranked" recruiting classes. Maybe AU 2010 would be the anomily. But too lazy to compile the #s.

We have recruited 4* and 5* players. Remember Daniel Brooks? Remember North?
My point is that we have recruited plenty of 4* & 5* players who have not lived up to their 4* & 5* expectations. Yet, there are some 3*'s who have exceeded our expectations.
Maybe, just maybe 4* & 5* players aren't the answer. Sure, it is always good to get a couple in every recruiting class but maybe a player has been overlooked due to injury or their playing in a small conference.
Patrick Willis? J.J. Watts?
At this point it's right to question the staffs ability to develop talent. It sure seems like other schools 5 stars and 4 stars pan out a lot more often than ours do. I can't even get excited about a big time recruit bc I fully expect Butch to fail to utilize their talent anyways

Curious where you received the 20% of the top 100 turn out to be good players from. Care to provide a link or a breakdown of the math?

Not exactly the same thing, but a guy on here a few months back posted some pretty good data saying that only about 22% of all 4-star and 5-star recruits end up making it to the NFL. And only about 4 to 5% of 3-star and below players end up making it to the NFL.

UT is bringing in some of the best talent in over 20 years our roster us loaded with some of the best players in the nation. Yeah this year hasnt been the best but still have got some great talent and its not even signing day yet. Everyone just needs to be patient and let butch and company do work.

Yea, don't panic, it's only late January :eek:lol:

VN Store

Back