WHY - recruits

When you follow recruiting please just dont look at the star level and assume anything. This go,s to any rated kid. Out of the top 100 players only 20% will be really good College players many will bust for various reasons. Not saying only 20% will play others will play but will not live up to the hype. Example many dont know the story with Preston Williams. 5 star talent but 0 star attitude but a kid Butch had to take a chance with trying to build a program. Alabama quit recruiting him because of his attitude and that he quit on his high school team. Now on this site everyone blames Butch but believe me he is not to blame only the kid who would not grow up and become a man.

It's not about the fact that we have gotten 3 star players. It is about the fact that we have offered many 4 and 5 star players who have chosen to go elsewhere. However, I still think this class is shaping up nicely and we are going to be fine. Guessing we will fall somewhere between 13 and 15

Reactions: 1 person
The OP asked why TN can not recruit any 4 or 5* players.

247 composite has us with 5-4* and 1-5*. Would I like it to be better, Sure. Lets not act like we are recruiting on a bottom dweller level though.

I only see 4-4*'s on the composite. Did someone get a bump and 247 not update their rankings?

We are doing just fine.. plus these 3*s have some talent. They will be okay. We've had great classes the past few years.. its ok to not have such a highly rated class every once in a while.. still a top 10 class even with the 22 3*s we have at the moment.. WE ARE FINE

Their is only so many Elite players each year that you say are cant miss like Trey Smith. Not all will live up to their Hype. Some will some will not for various reasons. The hope is that when you evaluate the next 400 kids that are so close in in talent level you pick the right ones. One who still has not physically matured or the ones who have the heart of Rudy but with athletic ability. Example number one Corner in NFL this year who will get paid big time since he is free agent. AJ Bouye Houston Texans undrafted from UCF Knights. They are out there.

When you follow recruiting please just dont look at the star level and assume anything. This go,s to any rated kid. Out of the top 100 players only 20% will be really good College players many will bust for various reasons. Not saying only 20% will play others will play but will not live up to the hype. Example many dont know the story with Preston Williams. 5 star talent but 0 star attitude but a kid Butch had to take a chance with trying to build a program. Alabama quit recruiting him because of his attitude and that he quit on his high school team. Now on this site everyone blames Butch but believe me he is not to blame only the kid who would not grow up and become a man.

Curious where you received the 20% of the top 100 turn out to be good players from. Care to provide a link or a breakdown of the math?

Those 3 coaches are not good
they're just new as SEC head coaches go and haven't established a track record yet just as CBJ was 2 yrs. ago. It'll find a good balance and another reason is UT is building "depth" and recruits see this as a sign they won't start immediately whereas at least Smart can sell recruits on immediate playing time and the promise of building a champion. One more year and after hopefully a good winning season UT could be considered "reloading" instead of rebuilding. UT should establish continuity and consistency and get away from being viewed as being in a
state of flux.

position attrition creates opportunity for early playing time. We need LB, DB, and DL our recruiters can sell early pt at these positions.

Curious where you received the 20% of the top 100 turn out to be good players from. Care to provide a link or a breakdown of the math?

I can not provide you with any link my math maybe off just a little. I look at NFL rosters and the ones who make it and the many who do not. It could be 25% make it. Point being many will not and many will not make it not because of talent but the other intangibles it takes to play at highest level.

It's simple. We can't get better recruits because all the recruits and their parents troll this board and are affected by all the negativity. Same with the current players coaches and administration. We are really the seat of power at Tennessee.

Yeah it has nothing to do with Butch being an underachiever and the fact he'll be job searching after this year. It's the fans fault it's also our fault we lost to 2 pathetic teams Vandy and south Carolina when the east was gift wrapped for us once again. But yeah it's all our fault

Reactions: 4 people
It's simple. We can't get better recruits because all the recruits and their parents troll this board and are affected by all the negativity. Same with the current players coaches and administration. We are really the seat of power at Tennessee.
Most on here give praise when praise is due. To this day CBJ simply hasn't done enough to deserve much praise. I'm considered nega but it's directed at CBJ as he declared himself "caretaker" of UT football. I disagree with you as you think we are really the seat of power, because the seat of power in Tennessee is the quality education in addition to being in Neyland stadium in front of over 102,000 fans pulling for the big orange team. Bring any recruit in and let him have a taste of that and what is said on this forum is reduced to the grain of salt it truley is anyway.

Relax, it's one class with a plethora of 3 stars, and it's not even finished yet. The first two classes were top 5 and last year's was the highest average star ranking believe it or not.

Actually I don't believe it. According to 247, last year's average star rating was less than each of the last two seasons. It was close, but both preceding classes ('14 & '15) had slightly. higher average star ratings. Also, on 247, 2015 class was #7, not quite top 5. Basically splitting hairs imo....

2014- 89.51
2015- 89.43
2016- 89.12

Same for Rivals .....

2014- 3.65
2015- 3.69
2016- 3.5

Ftr, this year's 2017 class currently has an 87.39 average star rating on 247 and 3.33 on Rivals

Reactions: 3 people
Actually I don't believe it. According to 247, last year's average star rating was less than each of the last two seasons. It was close, but both preceding classes ('14 & '15) had slightly. higher average star ratings. Also, on 247, 2015 class was #7, not quite top 5. Basically splitting hairs imo....

2014- 89.51
2015- 89.43
2016- 89.12

Same for Rivals .....

2014- 3.65
2015- 3.69
2016- 3.5

Ftr, this year's 2017 class currently has an 87.39 average star rating on 247 and 3.33 on Rivals

Stop with the facts man

Why is it that TN cannot recruit 4 and 5 star players.
In the past few years, teams that have a roster full of
4 and 5 star recruits are alway playing at the top or near
the top.
Why do the better players not want to come to TN?.

"The hay is not in the barn yet." Let's wait until after signing day before the meltdown. By the way, there are only a handful of 5*'s and we have one of them. I wish we had more 4*'s, but some of our 3*'s are right on the cusp of being rated a 4*. Let's see where we end up.

Reactions: 2 people

2014- 89.51
2015- 89.43
2016- 89.12

Same for Rivals .....

2014- 3.65
2015- 3.69
2016- 3.5

I would give 24/7 about a 5+- margin for error and Rivals a .25 +- margin for error when it is all said and done. Those sites are cute and in gross evaluations the best classes are successful but boiling numbers down that far really has little bearing on the true quality of a class.

"The hay is not in the barn yet." Let's wait until after signing day before the meltdown. By the way, there are only a handful of 5*'s and we have one of them. I wish we had more 4*'s, but some of our 3*'s are right on the cusp of being rated a 4*. Let's see where we end up.

Alabama has 7 five stars, Ohio State has 6, and Clemson and Florida State have 3 each. Not many left for the rest of us.

Why is it that TN cannot recruit 4 and 5 star players.
In the past few years, teams that have a roster full of
4 and 5 star recruits are alway playing at the top or near
the top.
Why do the better players not want to come to TN?.

We have recruited 4* and 5* players. Remember Daniel Brooks? Remember North?
My point is that we have recruited plenty of 4* & 5* players who have not lived up to their 4* & 5* expectations. Yet, there are some 3*'s who have exceeded our expectations.
Maybe, just maybe 4* & 5* players aren't the answer. Sure, it is always good to get a couple in every recruiting class but maybe a player has been overlooked due to injury or their playing in a small conference.
Patrick Willis? J.J. Watts?

Butch did bring them in initially. Sold rebuilding the program and early PT. Now he has to sell that they are coming to a program where they can compete for championships. That is still up for debate

I would add to coach them up and send them to the league also.

We have recruited 4* and 5* players. Remember Daniel Brooks? Remember North?
My point is that we have recruited plenty of 4* & 5* players who have not lived up to their 4* & 5* expectations. Yet, there are some 3*'s who have exceeded our expectations.
Maybe, just maybe 4* & 5* players aren't the answer. Sure, it is always good to get a couple in every recruiting class but maybe a player has been overlooked due to injury or their playing in a small conference.
Patrick Willis? J.J. Watts?

Lol most teams competing for the ships are loaded with many 4 and 5*s. Teams like Washington has many lower rated players....but have way better developers than what this staff had.

TN probably doesn't have the success they had in the 90s without having many players who were some of the best at their positions.

VN Store

Back