Why must we run the jet sweep?

Touch of embellishment. General idea still intact. Jmo, could live a comfortable little vol fan existence if I never see the play run again.

Ok, then throw out one of Hurd's long runs with it. You cannot appreciate the read option spread with simple thinking.
Auburn runs it. Malzan an idiot?

Ok, then throw out one of Hurd's long runs with it. You cannot appreciate the read option spread with simple thinking.

Huh? Wut? Are you telling me that without Pig's 7 yd loss on the first play of the game that Hurd never breaks his 2 nice long runs in the 2nd half? BS. Pretty sure you're overstating the importance of that play.

Huh? Wut? Are you telling me that without Pig's 7 yd loss on the first play of the game that Hurd never breaks his 2 nice long runs in the 2nd half? BS. Pretty sure you're overstating the importance of that play.

LOL, ok...let's go back and read. I was responding to you being happy not having it, not one particular play...AND it was definitely (the play as a whole) responsible for ONE, not both of Hurd's runs.

LOL, ok...let's go back and read. I was responding to you being happy not having it, not one particular play...AND it was definitely (the play as a whole) responsible for ONE, not both of Hurd's runs.

The crazy thing is, there are offenses out there that don't actually rely on multiple lost yardage plays just to break the occasional big run.

Reactions: 1 person
The Jet Sweep can also set up a wheel route to Jalen or the seam throw to TE if the LB over pursue. It keeps the D honest.

Please, since you seem to have a handle on the situation, tell us about successes vs the blows up in our faces.

Wasn't the first TD of the season Pig scoring on a jet sweep? I get frustrated by the play call sometimes because (until that one long run by Hurd) we never did anything out of that particular play action other than run the sweep with Pig. I think Pig also tried to throw it once but underthrew a wide open guy.

It blows up too often but saying we never have success with it isn't a fair assessment. Personally I am hoping they have lots of plays using that action just holding them for our SEC competition.

Edit: Swansoned by like 20 people. Serves me right for not reading the whole thread first.

Last edited:
I don't recalll many positive plays from it..most of the time it lost yards last yr as well.

Cognitive bias. Selective memory. Something like that. Too lazy to look it up. Basically the "average" 5 yard runs aren't remarkable enough for you to remember but the bad plays you remember, leading to the perception that... "everytime we run that **** it loses yards."

Every play isn't designed to be a huge gain. You run plays to set up those big plays. (Jalen taking the fake jet 40 yards.) If they are going to overplay/pursue the jet, we'll burn their ass off it.

This guy understands.... Theres a reason everybody crashes down on it so hard and its so easy to defend when theres a man in motion thats why the play is so dangerous. you hear all the defenders scream jet sweep before the play and they obviously have to defend against it when they "think" they know whats going to happen. If he is saving all the fakes for that play, I will be a happy guy, when someones standing in the endzone wide open.

pig in motion to the right, fake the sweep, pump fake to north to the left and go back to pig going down the sidelines

You're making this way too complicated IMO. Perhaps running a lateral play that consistently loses yards in the first qtr leads directly to having success running off tackle to either side in the 4th quarter, but I doubt it. At a minimum, how about we run something that sets up a play later that doesn't put us behind the sticks, something better than 2nd & 17 vs Oklahoma. Either way, I personally hope we never run the damn Pig Sweep again. Saw it consistently fail in 2012, saw it consistently fail last year and I'm now watching it fail consistently this year. If this is the lynchpin play that predicates our offense, perhaps that's the problem.

Last edited:
Cognitive bias. Selective memory. Something like that. Too lazy to look it up. Basically the "average" 5 yard runs aren't remarkable enough for you to remember but the bad plays you remember, leading to the perception that... "everytime we run that **** it loses yards."

I agree. I wish that I could tease yards gained or lost specifically on this play from Pig Howard's overall rushing stats from last year. However, without having the luxury of reviewing the film for each of those plays, I can't do so. Nevertheless, Pig had 18 carries for 93 yards and a 5.2 ypc average, so the jet sweep could not have been the absolute failure that so many people perceive it to be.

I agree. I wish that I could tease yards gained or lost specifically on this play from Pig Howard's overall rushing stats from last year. However, without having the luxury of reviewing the film for each of those plays, I can't do so. Nevertheless, Pig had 18 carries for 93 yards and a 5.2 ypc average, so the jet sweep could not have been the absolute failure that so many people perceive it to be.

In case you havent heard, you have to discredit all the times the play has worked, and then talk about it as a failure.

Last edited:
Don't kill me but why do we run this play? I can remember once last year against Georgia it worked. Then it failed us in OT. We ain't fooling anyone when he goes in motion. I bet 98% of the time it's less than a 2 yard gain. Last week against Oklahoma the fake sweep got Jalen like 40 yards. But enough with the sweep.

Sorry I just saw this stupidity.

The jet sweep didn't fail us in OT. It got us in position to win. Pig fumbled. The jet sweep didn't fumble.

Reactions: 2 people
Well if its a run, its going to either be the dive fake option (or what ever they call that) or the sweep. You cant very well just run ONE running play over and over. Instead of taking away from the book, lets add a few more plays.

Well if its a run, its going to either be the dive fake option or the sweep. You cant very well just run ONE running play over and over. Instead of taking away from the book, lets add a few more plays.

The best offenses in America are the teams that do the least. Most air raid teams only have ten total plays.

Take away the good things from any scenario and all that's left is the bad. It's stupid to say......it worked so good a few times we can't count those. I will use your same argument and let's see what you think. If you take away the times it didn't work well, Pig has rushed 3 times for 70 yards, how can anybody say that play isn't super successful?

See how ridiculous that argument is? You have to take the good with the bad and when you do that the play is a success. Numbers don't lie.

As a matter of fact, you should hope every play we run is as successful as the jet sweep. If we run every play 20 times and average over 5 yards per play, we would be one tough team to beat.

Your math is quite correct, however; (as you well know) the "average" is not a stand alone number, as we play both SEC and non SEC teams, thus two average numbers must be generated, at the very least.
If one were using these numbers, to actually call plays, then opponents national rankings would have to be in the mix.
Running plays that:hi: don't or seldom work, week in and week out, is very troubling. I believe you'd agree, at some point, just maybe, a change or two in play calling may be of some little help.

Last edited:
So many internet trolls know better than professional coaches.

You are so right, I wonder why we even have these forums!! Nobody on this board, or any other board for that matter, can even begin to know something more than a "professional coach". There are those that actually say negative things about professional coaches-Can you believe it? I remember when there were some guys, not very many of course, that had something bad to say about a Super Professional Head Coach in the SEC!!! I believe his name was Dooley.
Thanks for the very intelligent and well thought out post.:hi:

VN Store

Back