Why must we run the jet sweep?

It's always easier to call plays after you see the results. If the jet sweep would have scored like it did in our first game, there would be a post on why don't we run the jet sweep more. Football and play calling is so easy.....after you know the results.

Reactions: 8 people
Our Jet Sweep... Well at least we don't have to run across the field to tell them what we are runnig(that would be delay of game).
Best OC in the Country! He likes to "sneak" that play in every once in a while. SMH
The big playbook...

I totally agree with Op. We also threw the sideways pass a ton against Ok, and got virtually nothing out of it. Yet we continued to go to it about every fifth play. And it's the play Josh Smith got hurt on.

Every play isn't designed to be a huge gain. You run plays to set up those big plays. (Jalen taking the fake jet 40 yards.) If they are going to overplay/pursue the jet, we'll burn their ass off it.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this because I myself have maligned the jet sweep. What running plays were successful against OK in the first 3 quarters? Should we quit them all? In theory all Thomas had to do on the jet sweep was hold the end just a little bit to get Pig the edge. Obviously as the night wore on we saw we weren't even good at impersonating a wet paper bag.

Reactions: 1 person
Best I can tell, We've run it 4 times this year for a total of 18 yards and 1 TD. I will take 4.5 yards a carry all day everyday.

Why must we run the jet sweep? Because our experienced D-1 offensive coordinator thinks it's best. I'm pretty sure he has more experience than all posters in this thread (combined). It's a bye week; give the 2nd guessing (based on your vast play calling on the D-1 level) a break til Monday.

Carry on....

Why must we run the jet sweep? Because our experienced D-1 offensive coordinator thinks it's best. I'm pretty sure he has more experience than all posters in this thread (combined). It's a bye week; give the 2nd guessing (based on your vast play calling on the D-1 level) a break til Monday.

Carry on....

Which Monday, coach?:)

The jet sweep is just one play out a formation that UT runs other plays out of. Every now and then you must actually give it to pig to try and keep the D honest when you fake to him. Kind of like play option. And before someone says "well it aint warkin.", the other plays run out of that formation would look a whole lot worse without running that one some...plus as some have stated, the problem isn't necessarily always the play, but alot falls on missed blocking assignments.

This offense is built on plays that set up plays.

Reactions: 2 people
Pig Howard has 20 rushes last year and this year combined (and he only runs the jet sweep) for 102 yards. That's over 5 yards a carry. Last time I checked, that's damn good. Don't you just hate facts. End thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Pig Howard has 20 rushes last year and this year combined (and he only runs the jet sweep) for 102 yards. That's over 5 yards a carry. Last time I checked, that's damn good. End thread.

Yep, and I'm pretty sure one of Hurds long runs was after a fake hand-off to pig, which would mean the sweep set it up, whether in this game or on film.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it was more the timing of the calls that got us last game. First play of the game is usually not good because everyone is trying to stop the run and make a big hit to start the game.

Pig Howard has 20 rushes last year and this year combined (and he only runs the jet sweep) for 102 yards. That's over 5 yards a carry. Last time I checked, that's damn good. Don't you just hate facts. End thread.

He had 3 runs that made up 50 yards, with the longedt being 20 yrds vs W.Kent. a 16 yarder against GA with 46 yrds total and a 14 yr run against Vandy. So take away 3 decent runs and the other 17 totaled 52 yards. Not good and take away 46 against GA, 16 total against Vandy and 20 against W.Kent that leaves a grand total of 30the yards against everyone else. And face it GA and W.Kent were horrible defenses. No it hasn't been consistent or productive.

According to the stats, of the 20 rushes Pig has had, only twice has he lost yardage. 1 rush for -1 and another for -3

He had 3 runs that made up 50 yards, with the longedt being 20 yrds vs W.Kent. a 16 yarder against GA with 46 yrds total and a 14 yr run against Vandy. So take away 3 decent runs and the other 17 totaled 52 yards. Not good and take away 46 against GA, 16 total against Vandy and 20 against W.Kent that leaves a grand total of 30the yards against everyone else. And face it GA and W.Kent were horrible defenses. No it hasn't been consistent or productive.

OMG! We'll why don't we just take away all his rushes. That's got to be one of the dumbest rebuttals I've ever seen. There's no helping you my friend.

Reactions: 5 people
Best I can tell, We've run it 4 times this year for a total of 18 yards and 1 TD. I will take 4.5 yards a carry all day everyday.

Pig has run it 3 times for a total of 3 yards and that includes an 8 yrd run against Utah st. His other two have gained one yard and lost 6 against Oklahoma. I won't take that anyday.

OMG! We'll why don't we just take away all his rushes. That's got to be one of the dumbest rebuttals I've ever seen. There's no helping you my friend.

... my point is 3 out of his 20 rushes accounted for 70% of his total yards..Means the other 17 weren't very productive. So 15% of the time it worked well. 85% not so well. What about that not being productive is confusing to you?

VN Store

Back