Why must we run the jet sweep?

We have to run it to make sure defenses account for it. Same thing with a ton of other plays we run that don't necessarily get great results.

Reactions: 2 people
Pig has run it 3 times for a total of 3 yards and that includes an 8 yrd run against Utah st. His other two have gained one yard and lost 6 against Oklahoma. I won't take that anyday.

I will give you this and nothing more......the play doesn't work every time.

But.... The facts don't lie, it is a successful play.

We have to run it to make sure defenses account for it. Same thing with a ton of other plays we run that don't necessarily get great results.

I do understand that. But why not do a double reverse, a pass or let another player run it so give defenses something else to think about. That Howard pass against Arky St was so wide open I could see a similar result from that sweep or a double reverse. Something that defenses haven't seen out of that play.

... my point is 3 out of his 20 rushes accounted for 70% of his total yards..Means the other 17 weren't very productive. So 15% of the time it worked well. 85% not so well. What about that not being productive is confusing to you?

Take away the good things from any scenario and all that's left is the bad. It's stupid to say......it worked so good a few times we can't count those. I will use your same argument and let's see what you think. If you take away the times it didn't work well, Pig has rushed 3 times for 70 yards, how can anybody say that play isn't super successful?

See how ridiculous that argument is? You have to take the good with the bad and when you do that the play is a success. Numbers don't lie.

As a matter of fact, you should hope every play we run is as successful as the jet sweep. If we run every play 20 times and average over 5 yards per play, we would be one tough team to beat.

Last edited:
Running this as a fake would be great. Fake the pitch as Pig goes right and throw a quick out to the WR. You'd have the whole D drifting one direction.

I will give you this and nothing more......the play doesn't work every time.

But.... The facts don't lie, it is a successful play.

Well this is my last arguement on it. Last year 8 of his 18 attempts were a yard or losses of yards..so that is almost half. This yr 2 out of 3 were a yard or losses of yards. He had an 8 yard run, 1 yard run and one for a loss of 6.So that is 10 of his 21 rushes have been a yard or negative yards..Defenses gotta love their odds on defending that..

He had 3 runs that made up 50 yards, with the longedt being 20 yrds vs W.Kent. a 16 yarder against GA with 46 yrds total and a 14 yr run against Vandy. So take away 3 decent runs and the other 17 totaled 52 yards. Not good and take away 46 against GA, 16 total against Vandy and 20 against W.Kent that leaves a grand total of 30the yards against everyone else. And face it GA and W.Kent were horrible defenses. No it hasn't been consistent or productive.

So his #'s WOULD suck IF the big runs never happened? Cool story.

Reactions: 1 person
Take away the good things from any scenario and all that's left is the bad. It's stupid to say......it worked so good a few times we can't count those. I will use your same argument and let's see what you think. If you take away the times it didn't work well, Pig has rushed 3 times for 70 yards, how can anybody say that play isn't super successful?

See how ridiculous that argument is? You have to take the good with the bad and when you do that the play is a success. Numbers don't lie.

As a matter of fact, you should hope every play we run is as successful as the jet sweep. If we run very play 20 times and average over 5 yards per play, we would be one tough team to beat.

I agree you do have to take the good with the bad but when the bad is happening 48% of the time its not working. And when 85% of your yards comes on 3 plays that isnt consistently at all. Especially when half the time its been run by him has been negative or 1 yard at the most. Again I didn't say they should not run it just make it not so obvious what it is you are gonna do.

I agree you do have to take the good with the bad but when the bad is happening 48% of the time its not working. And when 85% of your yards comes on 3 plays that isnt consistently at all. Especially when half the time its been run by him has been negative or 1 yard at the most. Again I didn't say they should not run it just make it not so obvious what it is you are gonna do.

It's already went from 70% to 85% in the last 10 minutes. Apparently this play is getting worse by the minute.

Jason, similar to running to set up play action pass in a pro style O, the jet sweep has to be run some in this O, whether it's successful or not, because it sets other thing up. It's the same reason Worley has to keep the ball and run sometimes even though he sucks at it.

So his #'s WOULD suck IF the big runs never happened? Cool story.

Wel I would say 20, 16 and 14 are long runs but it wasn't like there were good runs every game or even every other game. One was early in the yr, one halfway then the last was at the end. If you are happy with 3 out of 22 runs going over ten yards and 10 of those times they werecan losing yards or gaining nothing then obviously you spend your live settling for less than mediocre, which you have every right to do! Bet the Coach's aren't settling for it though so I'm glad you aren't Coaching Bro.

Jason, similar to running to set up play action pass in a pro style O, the jet sweep has to be run some in this O, whether it's successful or not, because it sets other thing up. It's the same reason Worley has to keep the ball and run sometimes even though he sucks at it.

I'm no arguing that at all. I agree a 100% it has to be but defenses know what's coming because nothing different has been shown out of it. Helll try North, Smith or Von when they are healthy. Just something different.

It's already went from 70% to 85% in the last 10 minutes. Apparently this play is getting worse by the minute.

You aren't reading son. 70% of the yards..85% of total plays.Come on man atleast read and pay attention if you wanna argue your point. Your failing just like that play has. You gotta be a closet Bammer, they are the only ones that get confused by numbers!

A lot of running backs' ypc wouldn't look so good if you took away all of their long gains. That's a ridiculous argument.

Ex: RB carries 19 times for 110 yards. Avg 5.8 ypc. Not a bad day at the office. Take away one housed run from his own 40 (not too unusual to see) or two 35 and 25 yard scampers, and his avg falls to below 3 ypc.

Reactions: 1 person
Wel I would say 20, 16 and 14 are long runs but it wasn't like there were good runs every game or even every other game. One was early in the yr, one halfway then the last was at the end. If you are happy with 3 out of 22 runs going over ten yards and 10 of those times they werecan losing yards or gaining nothing then obviously you spend your live settling for less than mediocre, which you have every right to do! Bet the Coach's aren't settling for it though so I'm glad you aren't Coaching Bro.

No, I wish it would gain 30 yards every time. It just drives me nuts when someone takes out the best parts and says, see it sucks. I'm just saying, the play has an effect on the offense as a whole. Can't just view it in a vacuum.

A lot of running backs' ypc wouldn't look so good if you took away all of their long gains. That's a ridiculous argument.

Ex: RB carries 19 times for 110 yards. Avg 5.8 ypc. Not a bad day at the office. Take away one housed run from his own 40 (not too unusual to see) or two 35 and 25 yard scampers, and his avg falls to below 3 ypc.

Yea that is fine from game to game. The more you run in a game the better your chances get to break one. When its spread out over 15 games that is a little different.Guess the Coach's can call for that sweep 20+ times a game and be ok!

No, I wish it would gain 30 yards every time. It just drives me nuts when someone takes out the best parts and says, see it sucks. I'm just saying, the play has an effect on the offense as a whole. Can't just view it in a vacuum.

I see your point but over the span of 15 games he has run it 21 times and ten times it hasn't gained more than a yard or loses 5-8 yards everytime. What makes it worse is that many of those lost yards have been on first down and with our offense last yr and youth upfront this year 2nd and long isn't a good place to be.

I see your point but over the span of 15 games he has run it 21 times and ten times it hasn't gained more than a yard or loses 5-8 yards everytime. What makes it worse is that many of those lost yards have been on first down and with our offense last yr and youth upfront this year 2nd and long isn't a good place to be.

This stat is confusing. Maybe you meant to word that differently.

It's like this...if you have an engine with a ton of power, there's ten different parts you would say plays the biggest role in its overall power before you would name a spark plug, and you would be right, but even though it produces just a little spark, if you take it out, that same engine performs like crap.

You aren't reading son. 70% of the yards..85% of total plays.Come on man atleast read and pay attention if you wanna argue your point. Your failing just like that play has. You gotta be a closet Bammer, they are the only ones that get confused by numbers!

I knew this argument was a waste of time. You are correct though, I did quit paying close attention to your thoughts after the amount of ridiculous you had in your first post in this thread. It's like the comedian Ron White says..."you can't fix"...... you know the rest.

VN Store

Back