Why I think this year is different

Beating those Jackets will set the tone for the season...a loss will bring out the Pitchforks and Torches crowd. I want to beat GT by 3-4 scores. By the 4th qtr I hope Butch has the 3rd string and a couple cheerleaders in the game.

I felt that same way last year against Appy St. I didn't think there was no way they'd hang with us and we'd be prepping to make an SEC run. After we squeaked it out, I tampered my expectations a bit.

I felt that same way last year against Appy St. I didn't think there was no way they'd hang with us and we'd be prepping to make an SEC run. After we squeaked it out, I tampered my expectations a bit.

If you tampered them on here, I'm sure you were met with rude responses.

If anyone questioned the team's slow starts it was simply swept under the rug and you were told "UT's undefeated."

Reactions: 1 person
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Even by your own posted chart the UGA Oline is sub par. IMO the key is our (hopefully) improved secondary. If they can keep Eason under control we can stack the box and stuff that Georgia run game. Our somewhat suspect LB's will also have to step up.

The stats are easier to read if you take these off.:good!:

house-of-holland-linda-farrow-sunglasses-orange.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Where are we sure we improved?

Game experience. We have a lot of meaningful game reps returning from 120. That is huge. Compare 121 to 117 or 118(Those are suppose to be 2013 and 2014 teams.). Seems like most of the team has been in the system for more than 2 years. The brainwashing/training should be kicking in this year for most of the team.

Well see if we can improve on 120. Offense needs to break records. Anything better than worst will be an improvement for the defense. Shoop is better than some of last year. The 2nd half of the Florida game may have been his best. We need more of that.

If anyone questioned the team's slow starts it was simply swept under the rug and you were told "UT's undefeated."

Tampering expectations is not the role of the fan base.

Know your role.

Be loud, be proud. Get in the face of our enemy, send them home whimpering.

Unless you are a player or coach. Then your role is to study film to figure out how to get better. Work in the practice field to get better. Be better for the next game.

ignorance.......

Chubb and Michel are arguably the best RB tandem in the SEC...I hate the pups, but facts are facts......

IMO Michel is a more complete back than is Chubb (Richt and staff thought the same his freshman year) and Georgia Tech for the record found a way to beat them both last year in spite of all the knee clackers we have in Knox County this year.

If you are using 2016 stats as your basis, then they weren't even the worst in the SECe, much less the SEC as a whole.

olinestats2016.png

"Adjusted Line Yards: One of only two opponent-adjusted numbers on the page, this aligns with the ALY figure FO tracks for the NFL and is presented on a scale in which 100.0 is perfectly average, above 100 is good, below 100 is bad."

Tennessee 118 ALY rating
Clemson 124 ALY
Alabama has a 115 ALY rating.
Georgias is terrible to run behind: 94.8 ALY rating.

The stuff rates of running backs at/before the line of scrimmage for
Georgia is: 20.7%
Tennessee has a 16.6%
Clemson 17%
Alabama has a 19%

Now we come to short yardage "Push" for a Oline. The "Power success rate" percentage. 2 yards or less for a running back.
Tennessee %70
Alabama 75%
Clemson 62.9%

Georgia 59%

So they struggle in short yardage situations. They can't convert those 3rd and 2's. Even with running backs like Nick Chubb and S. Michel. Tennessee, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia all had great running backs in 2016. But only Georgia struggled in short yardage situations. That is a pretty cut and dry indicator that their O line had no push on the line of scrimmage.

All those stats I just picked out and compared show that UGA had a horrible run game in 2016. And the fact they keep shifting their Oline around and are probably going to play a bunch of true freshman....backs that up.

If you are using 2016 stats as your basis, then they weren't even the worst in the SECe, much less the SEC as a whole.

olinestats2016.png

The stats for their run game aren't good.
100.0 is perfectly average, above 100 is good, below 100 is bad.
ALY for:
Alabama 115
Clemson 124
Tennessee 118
Georgia 94.8
That stat shows running backs are gonna struggle at Georgia.

Now, let's look at their "power success rate". Basically how much success they have running the ball on 3rd and 4th downs in short yardage situations.
Alabama 75%
Clemson 62.9%
Tennessee 70.2%
Georgia 59.1%

Again. Struggle to convert tough downs on the ground. Clemsons was surprisingly low, but then again, they had Deshaun Watson to make up for that. Georgia doesn't.

Now let's check out their "stuff rate" and see how many runs get stuffed at/before the line of scrimmage.

Alabama 19.9%
Clemson 17.6%
Tennessee 16.6%
Georgia 20.7%

Almost 21% of UGA's runs are stuffed at the line of scrimmage. Alabama can get away with having almost 20% of their runs stuffed at the line because they have a better QB and a better overall team. Georgia has to sweat the small things. And their Oline is failing to inch out those small stats that tell the true tale of how that line is performing. Add to that the fact Kirby Smart has reshuffled their OL lineup several times already in camp isn't a good sign either. Especially when there are true freshman looking at starting roles.

Well, I WAS excited about the start as everyone was. However, internally it looked like a QB who wouldn't quit, a DLineman who was playing as good as anyone ever has and some lucky breaks. Once the A&M game came and went and the injuries mounted up, reality set in: our first 11 could play with anyone but the next man up, not so much.

Well, I WAS excited about the start as everyone was. However, internally it looked like a QB who wouldn't quit, a DLineman who was playing as good as anyone ever has and some lucky breaks. Once the A&M game came and went and the injuries mounted up, reality set in: our first 11 could play with anyone but the next man up, not so much.

It's one thing to have "Stay fresh." depth. "Injury" depth, is a whole nother story. It's even worse when a particular position group takes a deep cut due to injury.

Rock or bust. The work Rock has done will show this fall. From what I've heard, we are in for a treat.

It's one thing to have "Stay fresh." depth. "Injury" depth, is a whole nother story. It's even worse when a particular position group takes a deep cut due to injury.

Rock or bust. The work Rock has done will show this fall. From what I've heard, we are in for a treat.

Yeah. It's hard to explain to someone that there are two types of depth. The kind you feel good about to rotate in on easy downs to keep your starters fresh for critical downs, and the kind that you suddenly have to depend on 2nd and 3rd string for every down. People don't think that when your 2nd string is now your starter, that guy has to rotate with someone else, so suddenly you have 3rd stringer tossed in on certain downs as well. Before your depth was 1st and 2nd string. Suddenly it's 2nd and 3rd string.

BIG difference there.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's hope you are correct! All these changes had better pay off!! No more excuses!!!

CBJ seems to be sharp about identifying areas of improvement. He has been consistent in addressing those areas with coaching change. There was a post about how money delayed adding a person to our strength team. That was disappointing to know.

We will see what a reload season looks like with CBJ. So far so good. For the most part.

Go Vols!

Yeah. It's hard to explain to someone that there are two types of depth. The kind you feel good about to rotate in on easy downs to keep your starters fresh for critical downs, and the kind that you suddenly have to depend on 2nd and 3rd string for every down. People don't think that when your 2nd string is now your starter, that guy has to rotate with someone else, so suddenly you have 3rd stringer tossed in on certain downs as well. Before your depth was 1st and 2nd string. Suddenly it's 2nd and 3rd string.

BIG difference there.

I am counting on those competitive reps taken last year helping those players to get better results from that alone. Mix in the Rock effect, who knows how great 121 can be?

The team seems enthusiastic about this year. They know it's gonna be a lot of work to achieve what's expected. At the same time, they seem eager to put in the work. As if the work itself is "The Prize.".

olinestats2016.png

Looking at these rankings, GA was at least second worst in the SECe, and the Vols were much better in most categories. Of course anything can happen, but multiple sources have stated they are not expected to be very good. Also, I have seen a couple of sources saying their D backfield is average at best, but they are pretty strong in the front 7.

Last edited:
If they can avoid the injury bug, which was a major issue in last years late slide, they will win at least 8 with a good chance at 9 or 10 (regular season). Having said that, 4 injuries before the start of the season is cause for concern, although I think a couple were actually existing prior injuries. I am expecting an improvement this year. GBO.

The stats for their run game aren't good.
100.0 is perfectly average, above 100 is good, below 100 is bad.
ALY for:
Alabama 115
Clemson 124
Tennessee 118
Georgia 94.8
That stat shows running backs are gonna struggle at Georgia.

Now, let's look at their "power success rate". Basically how much success they have running the ball on 3rd and 4th downs in short yardage situations.
Alabama 75%
Clemson 62.9%
Tennessee 70.2%
Georgia 59.1%

Again. Struggle to convert tough downs on the ground. Clemsons was surprisingly low, but then again, they had Deshaun Watson to make up for that. Georgia doesn't.

Now let's check out their "stuff rate" and see how many runs get stuffed at/before the line of scrimmage.

Alabama 19.9%
Clemson 17.6%
Tennessee 16.6%
Georgia 20.7%

Almost 21% of UGA's runs are stuffed at the line of scrimmage. Alabama can get away with having almost 20% of their runs stuffed at the line because they have a better QB and a better overall team. Georgia has to sweat the small things. And their Oline is failing to inch out those small stats that tell the true tale of how that line is performing. Add to that the fact Kirby Smart has reshuffled their OL lineup several times already in camp isn't a good sign either. Especially when there are true freshman looking at starting roles.

Your original proclamation was that Georgia's oline was the worst in the SEC. That is not true, they are not the worst in the SEC nor even the SECe, using the 2016 offensive line stats.

You can want them to be worse than they actually were, but the numbers disagree with you. Their oline was middling SEC at the worst. We can hope that they'll be worse than last year, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Your original proclamation was that Georgia's oline was the worst in the SEC. That is not true, they are not the worst in the SEC nor even the SECe, using the 2016 offensive line stats.

You can want them to be worse than they actually were, but the numbers disagree with you. Their oline was middling SEC at the worst. We can hope that they'll be worse than last year, but that remains to be seen.

Well. Excuse me for slightly over exaggerating how bad they were. But that doesn't mean they still aren't pretty bad. And what actually makes them bad, what that stat sheet doesn't say is this: Georgias offense is centered on a run game. They use their run game to set up everything else they do on that offense. So when they can't run the ball. They don't have any offense.

Go watch the 2016 Vandy game as a perfect example. Chubb and Michel combined had 29 rushes for 68 yards. No TDs.
And 23 of those yards came on 2 big plays.
Their O-line also allowed 1 sack and 9 TFL.
Georgia was only 6-17 on 3rd downs. That shows you right there they were either taking negative yardage on 1st and 2nd down or just not being able to convert short yardage downs. Both are symptoms of a sh*tty Oline.

Jacob Eason had to throw the ball 40 times in that game. And they still lost to Vandy. Because they are not built to throw the ball 40 times. They have to use the run to set that up. It's what their entire offensive scheme is built on. Vandys defense went out to shut down Georgias run game and they did it. Easily.

The talent underperforms every year. They should be winning NC left and right, but for some reason they just can't. Snake bit or cursed it's something.

I think it's because they wilt under pressure. When the going get's tough they fold. Stage fright.

Georgia should be the Alabama of the East! Heck, they should be Alabama, but they are so poorly run they squander more in state talent than anyone in the SEC. Better hope skirvy doesn't get things going there or they could be tough!!!

can't agree with it, this off season has been typical of the mediocrity that we have grown accustomed to since fulmer left. Several season ending injuries so far, and we haven't played a down, several rumors that have basically been acknowledged by Jones when asked, he said something to the effect that we will deal with any disciplinary actions and let you know. He didn't deny it, is basically acknowledged it. This team look to be more of the same with a higher paid coaching staff.

Georgia should be the Alabama of the East! Heck, they should be Alabama, but they are so poorly run they squander more in state talent than anyone in the SEC. Better hope skirvy doesn't get things going there or they could be tough!!!

When your high water mark as a Coach is a Dooley. Well good luck with that.

Maybe Smart can develop that winning edge and erase years of the "Choke Artist" mentality that has settled on that program for over 30 years. I doubt it. That's not a knock so much on Smart, but just the mountain of a task he has decided to take on as the HC.

VN Store

Back