Why I think this year is different

They are the only team from the east that has come close to beating Bama in the SECC game. They are loaded this year and the east sucks. Wouldn't surprise me to see them run the table in the east this year.

Huh their OL is average at the very best. RBs no where near as good as advertised and the QB is a statue

Reactions: 1 person
I think the biggest change this year and why I feel this team will over perform is from the mood in the locker room has changed. I think it's a more mature team. Coaches and players included. After all that crap last season, I think it forced a lot of players to grow up. This team is more tempered mentally. They have confidence, not cockiness.

Plus I personally feel this is the best overall coaching staff that's been in Knoxville since the end of the Fulmer years. Too much emphasis is put on a head coach these days and people just do not understand how critical good assistant coaches are to football teams. Assistants are the ones working hands on with players every day. That's their main contact point between them and the rest of the coaching staff. You hire a negative or crappy assistant, that will bleed into those players in that position group. I think that happend last year with many of our assistants after Jancek was fired. Especially Martinez. I think Michael Szerszen was a complete moron and a hack at S&C which created lazy and weaker players.

Why does everyone think that UGA is over rated?

I can't get a read on Georgia and Smart yet. They were a 5 loss team who easily could and should have lost to Nicholls St, Mizzou, AU and UK but on the flip side they could have beaten US,Vandy and GA Tech. So they could just as easily been 3-9 and no bowl game or been 11-2 and been to a better bowl game. I honestly am not impressed with Eason and not sure how long he lasts as their starting QB. GA and Gals really should win the East 8 out 10 yrs combined. I'm not sure Kirby is better than an 8-9 win a year Coach and nowhere close to Richt.

Most questions will be answered after GT game. They did beat uga ,vandy, kentucky last year.

Not sure the GA Tech Game tells us anything. They are replacing a very productive QB and Paul Johnson usually follows up a good season with a bad or mediocre one at Ga Tech. Not the same team that beat those 3 last year.

19 years ago we went 13-0 and ended the season ranked number 1 in the nation.

(19 + 13) • 0 + 1 = 1

I think we're gonna be number 1 this year, fellas. The math works out!

Numbers don't lie....I am on board the Big Orange Train.....wooooooo woooooo wooooooo woooooo!!!:good!:

Not sure the GA Tech Game tells us anything. They are replacing a very productive QB and Paul Johnson usually follows up a good season with a bad or mediocre one at Ga Tech. Not the same team that beat those 3 last year.

Beating those Jackets will set the tone for the season...a loss will bring out the Pitchforks and Torches crowd. I want to beat GT by 3-4 scores. By the 4th qtr I hope Butch has the 3rd string and a couple cheerleaders in the game.

Beating those Jackets will set the tone for the season...a loss will bring out the Pitchforks and Torches crowd. I want to beat GT by 3-4 scores. By the 4th qtr I hope Butch has the 3rd string and a couple cheerleaders in the game.

I hope you're right I would love to shut Paul Johnson up and put a real SEC A$$ beating on them. I think a loss would hurt us more than a win would help us just to be honest. Might be different if they were ranked but it will definitely help being a primetime game. Not to mention being a holiday and only game of the night. Definitely will not get here soon enough. I am more worried about keeping our players safe and getting whoever the QB is ready for UF. Definitely not a game we can afford to lose or have a bunch of guys get hurt.

And they'll be running behind a mediocre ol. That will hurt even the best backs

Georgias O line is possibly the worst in the SEC right now. I saw the stats somewhere. Im too lazy to dig them up. But they are bad. Really bad. I think it was like Jacob Eason had to throw under pressure 60% of the time? Dont quote me on that. But it was something crazy.

Its so bad, they may even end up playing tons of freshmen.

In games where their line actually performed well, Nick Chubb averaged over 6ypc. In games they struggled, he averaged 3ypc. Thats a BIG difference for a RB like Nick Chubb.

TIFWIW but I talked to a guy last night who is dating my sister said he has a nephew that plays for UT, when he asked what kind of team we were gonna have this year his nephew stated that the team was kinda in a wait and see stage...nobody really knows yet. GT game would definitely set the tone and let them know how good they really are. Also said that butch feels his seat is hot. Just thought I would share this with everyone. I have been hopeful, and felt that our vols are better and aren't getting the respect I believe we deserve this off-season, but the lack of confidence from his nephew does concern me a little.

TIFWIW but I talked to a guy last night who is dating my sister said he has a nephew that plays for UT, when he asked what kind of team we were gonna have this year his nephew stated that the team was kinda in a wait and see stage...nobody really knows yet. GT game would definitely set the tone and let them know how good they really are. Also said that butch feels his seat is hot. Just thought I would share this with everyone. I have been hopeful, and felt that our vols are better and aren't getting the respect I believe we deserve this off-season, but the lack of confidence from his nephew does concern me a little.

Thanks for the info.

That feeds the need to work harder. When you think you need to be stronger, it motivates you to go get stronger. Or fold under the pressure.

Players come to TN because of that pressure, the high expectations.

I'm glad to finally confirm that CBJ is smart enough to know that 9-4 is below Vol standard.

Figure it out 121.

ignorance.......

Chubb and Michel are arguably the best RB tandem in the SEC...I hate the pups, but facts are facts......

No they are not .. Chubb is a shadow of what he was , Michel is an avg sec back runnng behind at best avg OL and furthermore bama s backfield is far and away better

Lsu is better also

Last edited:
Nice to see a positive, realistic post ever so often.

#3 We were the most injured team in America last season.

#4 This is a big upgrade to the coaching staff. Glad to see Martinez, DeBord, and the worst coach of all Mahoney go.

#7 For us to take the next step we need better line play. This is a line of scrimmage league and games are won in the trenches. We honestly haven't had a good offensive line since Butch has been here.
Big upgrade from DeBord? Lol, do explain how replacing an OC that had the highest scoring o in UT history with a guy that has never been an oc is considered a big upgrade?

Fantastic post and , yes I read the whole thing. I could add a boat load more reasons, but enough talk, it's time to do.

Georgias O line is possibly the worst in the SEC right now. I saw the stats somewhere. Im too lazy to dig them up. But they are bad. Really bad. I think it was like Jacob Eason had to throw under pressure 60% of the time? Dont quote me on that. But it was something crazy.

Its so bad, they may even end up playing tons of freshmen.

In games where their line actually performed well, Nick Chubb averaged over 6ypc. In games they struggled, he averaged 3ypc. Thats a BIG difference for a RB like Nick Chubb.

If you are using 2016 stats as your basis, then they weren't even the worst in the SECe, much less the SEC as a whole.

olinestats2016.png

Last edited:
Not saying it's our year, just that with less hype and better coaching this feels different

Better coaching? Last year our oc scored more points than any oc in ut history, and we hired the biggest name dc around. So is it not fair to say the exact same thing could have been (was really) said last year?

Im not saying its not better this year, but we dont know if its better or not.

Reactions: 2 people
Better coaching? Last year our oc scored more points than any oc in ut history, and we hired the biggest name dc around. So is it not fair to say the exact same thing could have been (was really) said last year?

Im not saying its not better this year, but we dont know if its better or not.

Well that won't fit the agenda. :loco:

If you are using 2016 stats as your basis, then they weren't even the worst in the SECe, much less the SEC as a whole.

olinestats2016.png

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Even by your own posted chart the UGA Oline is sub par. IMO the key is our (hopefully) improved secondary. If they can keep Eason under control we can stack the box and stuff that Georgia run game. Our somewhat suspect LB's will also have to step up.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Even by your own posted chart the UGA Oline is sub par. IMO the key is our (hopefully) improved secondary. If they can keep Eason under control we can stack the box and stuff that Georgia run game. Our somewhat suspect LB's will also have to step up.

Ga will find a way to lose. Now that we have improved, that will make it easier for them to figure it out.

VN Store

Back