Why can't we have a 1st year turnaround under Pruitt like 2015 Michigan or Florida?

10's a stretch, but it's the off season, so I'll buy a little orange colored cool-aid...why not?

I'd say if Pruitt has his stuff together, and stay reasonably healthy, 7-8 wins is a REALLY good season...enough to lock down the next stellar class, showing we're moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, we look alot like last season, w/ too many question marks going into the season...but if Pruitt works his magic with D, and we exceed expectations there, get competent OL and QB play, no reason we can't have a nice season.

Reactions: 1 person
This many wins in 2018, can you see it. If not put your orange colored glasses. And that should set up a 2019 season that gets us to 9 wins.
img0357.png

Reactions: 2 people
So you're saying you have no faith in Jeremy Pruitt? You think he's another Butch Jones?

Cause if Jeremy Pruitt is actually a good coach he should be able to get this team to play closer to its recruiting rank (11th overall in the country) than the 4-8 season we went through last season.

Great coaches at the very least get their players to play up to their talent level. Our talent level says we should win at least 9 games next year. PERIOD.

Pruitt might be great, but he's not out on the field playing. Teams often have a bump when going from a coach like Jones to somebody competent, but even the best coach is limited by the players he inherits and the disorganization the previous fool left behind.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee was 121st in the NCAA in yards per carry allowed rushing defense
Tennessee was 51st in yards per pass attempt allowed pass defense.
Tennessee was 87th in yards per play allowed total defense

Tennessee was 115th in yards per carry rushing offense
Tennessee was 104th in yards per pass attempt pass offense
Tennessee was 110th in yards per play total offense

Tennessee was 113th in 3rd down conversions allowed defensively
Tennessee was 120th in 3rd down conversions offensively

Tennessee was 110th in red zone TD percentage allowed defensively
Tennessee was 101st in red zone TD percentage offensively

Call me crazy. That's not getting fixed in one year.

Having lived through last season, it’s hard to believe we ranked that highly.

Reactions: 4 people
He didn't "just" go anything.

... Unless I fell asleep and missed us winning the national championship last year and Dobbs leading the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

...after first winning the Heisman at UT, of course.

Reminder:

Before last season, the OP predicted UT would win the national championship.

UT went on to produce the worst season in program history.

Start celebrating when he picks UT to go winless.

Our players from the 2015-17 teams success in the NFL will prove me right. As will Jeremy Pruitt turning it around this year in one season.

Butch Jones was the problem. Our talent was never the issue.

By 2020 people will wonder how we never won a national title in 2015 and 2016 with the incredible NFL talent we had.

The 2016 Vols were essentially an NFL all-star team and Butch Jones managed only 9 wins.

Last edited:
Our players from the 2015-17 teams success in the NFL will prove me right. As will Jeremy Pruitt turning it around this year in one season.

Butch Jones was the problem. Our talent was never the issue.

By 2020 people will wonder how we never won a national title in 2015 and 2016 with the incredible NFL talent we had.

The 2016 Vols were essentially an NFL all-star team and Butch Jones managed only 9 wins.

ky1zqks2bfuz.gif

Reactions: 5 people
According to 247sports it is. And they take into account attrition.

We have top 11 talent. PERIOD.

You can dispute whether recruiting rankings are reliable but you can't dispute the numbers. According to 247sports, we are the 11th most talented team in the country right now.

We do have top 11 talent.
I have no doubts about that.
But

Bama has top 5
UGA top 5
Auburn top 10
WVU top 20 and they have an identity.
South Carolina solid on offense and defense.

The talent we have will be noticed.
But i think we're just missing to many pieces...

The issue is you think Pruitt can undo the bad coaching some of these players have had for 3 years in 6 months. And add that to the poor strength and conditioning. This isn’t a 1- year rebuild.

It especially doesn’t help your point when 2015 Michigan and Florida are your examples. Neither has sustained that level of success, in fact Florida has fired that coach as well.

If you are saying Pruitt needs 10 wins or he is butch jones, then you are setting him up for failure.

8-9 wins would be a phenomenal season.

6-7 wins is a good season this year.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee was 121st in the NCAA in yards per carry allowed rushing defense
Tennessee was 51st in yards per pass attempt allowed pass defense.
Tennessee was 87th in yards per play allowed total defense

Tennessee was 115th in yards per carry rushing offense
Tennessee was 104th in yards per pass attempt pass offense
Tennessee was 110th in yards per play total offense

Tennessee was 113th in 3rd down conversions allowed defensively
Tennessee was 120th in 3rd down conversions offensively

Tennessee was 110th in red zone TD percentage allowed defensively
Tennessee was 101st in red zone TD percentage offensively

Call me crazy. That's not getting fixed in one year.

Getting the defense back into the top 60s in most of those ratings would be huge turnaround, IMO.

Expecting an elite defense is just silly.

OP, lots of factors are against the possibility of it, conventionaly speaking. I applaud your optimism and team spirit but the kind of good fortune you speak of is pretty rare. Full team chemistry, where all the players buy in what the coach and his staff are setting up. They all like one another, practice and train with a maturity, where the players play as units rather than individuals, and the players all acually possess the physical and mental skills necessary to realize coaching techniques on the field...consistently. Long list, seems too much...that’s why I think is why you don’t see really good teams just rise from mediocrity more often.

So you're saying you have no faith in Jeremy Pruitt? You think he's another Butch Jones?

Cause if Jeremy Pruitt is actually a good coach he should be able to get this team to play closer to its recruiting rank (11th overall in the country) than the 4-8 season we went through last season.

Great coaches at the very least get their players to play up to their talent level. Our talent level says we should win at least 9 games next year. PERIOD.

Georgia's talent level was far better than 7-5 during the 2016 season. How do you justify that? According to your logic Smart must suck.

Reactions: 5 people
Well oh great prophet, the short long answer is:

We ain't what we was, we ain't what we want to be, gracious great one, we ain't even what we gonna be.

Last edited:

He was our 6th pick as coach after being turned down by the likes of Dave Doeren. We just came off the worst season in school history and the competition has improved while we regressed. It’s going to get ugly in year one homie.

I feel like we should have a file saved to copy and paste since we all keep repeating ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I love the optimistic guys. They make the world a better place to live. But the reality is we do not have the chess pieces in place to compete next season. Not even Saban or Meyer could win the SEC East with our current team. That does not mean those pieces can not be put in place and we will not be extremely successful under Pruitt we just need to be patient just a little longer.

VN Store

Back