Why all the Fulmer hate?

Many that hate Fulmer hold the whole Majors thing against him.

And I can understand a little of that, but that doesn't negate the fact that Majors had a drinking problem and was on a downward spiral.

Just look at his record at Pitt after he left Tennessee.

So, I guess my question is then, did they stop pulling for Tennessee after Majors left? Did they stop going to and watching games? Did they throw away their Vols gear?

Or did they enjoy the Decade of Dominance?

Reactions: 2 people
No, there has always been and will always continue to be some who dislike him and everything about him. They go out of there way to point it out. I was talking to them.

Are you one of them? If not, I guess I wasn't talking to you.

But since you answered, apparently you are. Why do you hate Phil Fulmer? Can you explain that to me?

I dont hate PF, nor do i see alot of other people that do. Again, i have seen a very positive reaction to PF. Which is why i question an "all the hate" thread.

So a few people create 2 threads on vn and that constitutes a "why all the hate" thread? Did it occur to you that some people may not share your opinion?

Did you consider weighting the amount of negative threads to the number of positive threads, before starting this one? Well, nm clearly you didnt.

Why are you always a condescending smart ass? The guy started a nice thread with a lot of good data if dont want to participate go to another thread.

Reactions: 4 people
I think a lot of Fans want to live in the Past & Rekindle the good ole Days of 20 Years Ago. I am getting a very bad feeling Hiring Fulmer this was the Greatest Screw Up in our History- If he could not do his job adequately in the past & was Fired why should we give him a Promotion & Rehire him in the Future- The Job of Winning at Tennessee is much Tougher today than in 1998 but we now Expect a Fired Coach to Correct all the Athletic Departments Problems. The Coach has Zero previous Administration Experience & after being Fired by Tennessee Never worked again in a Coaching or Administrative Job- This will Not End Well- I Like Coach Pruitt but he is set up for failure.

Why are you always a condescending smart ass? The guy started a nice thread with a lot of good data if dont want to participate go to another thread.

Because there is no "all the hate" of Fulmer. The reaction to him thus far has been overwhelmingly positive. So i dont understand trying to create a narrative that doesnt exist.

Ok, I have to ask. Where does all this deep seated actual hate and loathing of all things Phillip Fulmer come from?

First thing to remember this is a message board. Where many people (some posing to be UT fans) gather to rile up a fan base.

Many great fans and knowledgeable posters are here as well, along with local media looking for reactions.

I for one, and it is my opinion Mr. Fulmer has done the best he could, gave his all, and will continue to do so as the AD of UT.

For some it will never be good enough. For me, I am proud of this time...Coming Together...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Fulmer has sabotaged three straight. coaching searches, contacting coaches, telling them why they should not take the job.

Tinfoil hat...engaged.

tinfoilhat.jpg

Because there is no "all the hate" of Fulmer. The reaction to him thus far has been overwhelmingly positive. So i dont understand trying to create a narrative that doesnt exist.

I understand your point, however there have been many negative comments about PF on this this board as well as articials in the media. So part of the reason we know how most people feel is due to this thread, but we can agree to disagree on that.
I would like to apologize for calling you a name I had no right to do so. GBO

Reactions: 1 person
I've really not noticed "all the hate"...just ignore it, but they're on the fringe, for sure...but then again, there's always people on the fringes of anything. There's folks at UNC that still don't want Roy Williams, but he's won multiple NC's. How many AD's care enough to go out with the HC to try and solidify a recruiting class...only one that I know of.

I think a lot of Fans want to live in the Past & Rekindle the good ole Days of 20 Years Ago. I am getting a very bad feeling Hiring Fulmer this was the Greatest Screw Up in our History- If he could not do his job adequately in the past & was Fired why should we give him a Promotion & Rehire him in the Future- The Job of Winning at Tennessee is much Tougher today than in 1998 but we now Expect a Fired Coach to Correct all the Athletic Departments Problems. The Coach has Zero previous Administration Experience & after being Fired by Tennessee Never worked again in a Coaching or Administrative Job- This will Not End Well- I Like Coach Pruitt but he is set up for failure.

Ok, so you believe that he isn't up to the job of AD today. I can certainly respect that viewpoint.

But do you dislike what he accomplished for the University?

Also, are you saying that an AD that has never been fired from another school is more qualified than a first time AD?

Reactions: 1 person
if it was time for him to go then, why is it time for him to come back now?

because we need him more now?

sorry, but I am just not all in on the return of Phillip Fulmer!

Last edited:
it it was time for him to go then, why is it time for him to come back now?

because we need him more now?

sorry, but I am just not all on on the return of Phillip Fulmer!

Ok, and I can respect that opinion and argument.

But if we start winning in the next few years, are you going to be upset?

I mean, maybe you are withholding judgment, and you feel like he may not be qualified, but do you really hate him to the point that you think anyone that enjoyed our NC and SEC championships are hysterical, irrational Fulmer fanatics?

Do you like to make Great Pumpkin and Krispy Kreme jokes in derogatory fashion to anyone that think Fulmer wasn't too bad of a coach? Or are you just of the opinion that maybe he wasn't the best choice and Blackburn was better?

Unfortunately I see a lot of similarities to our situation & Ole Miss situation of longing for the past. For 30 years after Ole Miss successful past in football which was before integration of black athletes in the South their Fans longed for Johnny Vaught & kept turning to the past instead of adapting & going forward. Now we long for Fulmer & the rekindling the past formula which unfortunately quit working which is why Fulmer has been Unemployed for the past 10 Years. Going Back to Fulmer will end like bringing back Johnny Vaught did for Ole Miss. Tennessee should be on the cutting Edge of the future not digging up Dinosaurs of the past. I like Fulmer & I like my Grandpa but neither one are qualified or have the skills to Administer the Tennessee Athletic Department.

It is simple, but some refuse to notice or accept it. Despite his better earlier years, Fulmer put us in this downward spiral. He did not have to sit on his laurels and let the program go to pot, but he did.

It is simple, but some refuse to notice or accept it. Despite his better earlier years, Fulmer put us in this downward spiral. He did not have to sit on his laurels and let the program go to pot, but he did.

So, you married your wife when she was young and beautiful, but after 16 years she gained a little weight and stopped getting fixed up every day, so you divorced her.

Ok, I can see where you might do that. I get it. But to hate the good years, and curse her name for all time seems a little extreme. I mean, you have kids together, and a history, in my analogy. No need to go to extreme.

Ok, I have to ask. Where does all this deep seated actual hate and loathing of all things Phillip Fulmer come from?

Sincerely, I want to know, because I really don't get it. All he did was win for us. Sure he had 2 bad seasons out of 16. But even the 2005 season, we were competitive. While we should have done better (and did the next year) it's not the crap show that we saw this past season. The biggest affront I can find on this season is the loss to Vandy.

Opponent Result
UAB W*17–10**
at*No. 6*Florida L*7–16**
at*No. 4*LSU W*30–27*OT*
Ole Miss W*27–10**
No. 5*Georgia L*14–27**
at*No. 5*Alabama L*3–6***
South Carolina L*15–16**
at*No. 8*Notre Dame L*21–41**
Memphis W*20–16**
Vanderbilt L*24–28**
at*Kentucky W*28–7**

2008 could arguably be compared more to this past season, but even then, we didn't lose to Vandy and Kentucky in the same year. And by all accounts, the Wyoming game was thrown in protest by the players.

Opponent Result
at*UCLA L*24–27*OT*
UAB W*35–3**
No. 4*Florida L*6–30**
at*No. 15*Auburn L*12–14**
Northern Illinois W*13–9**
at*No. 10*Georgia L*14–26**
Mississippi State W*34–3**
No. 2*Alabama L*9–29**
at*South Carolina L*6–27**
Wyoming L*7–13**
at*Vanderbilt W*20–10**
Kentucky W*28–10**

So explain to me why a coach with these record and accomplishments is so reviled with such venom, please. I truly just don't get it.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Accomplishments and honors

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)
SEC Eastern Division (1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007)

Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)
George Munger Award (1998)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (1998)
Sporting News College Football COY (1998)
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)

College Football Hall of Fame
Inducted in 2012

It all goes back to the Major's supporters. They felt that Fulmer stabbed Majors in the back to get the head coaching position. They were negative against CPF his whole career and when he had a couple of bad seasons they were able to get more people on the bandwagon. Coach Majors caused his own demise (Go ahead and argue that point as some will and show how little they remember what went on). Fulmer was fired before the famous Wyoming game that we lost. We could have finished with a decent season that year, but all crazy broke out with the announcement. Almost every coach will have some down years and some come back and correct. CPF was not given the chance to correct. Some of these people that hate on CPF are the same ones that still accuse him of stabbing Coach Majors in the back. Also The HOH was a major part of his being fired and they just lost control of the athletic department.

Truthfully it is a simple psychological thing in my opinion. People as a general rule like to be consistent. This often leads to folks having a very difficult time admitting they were wrong about a previous assumption. People will sometimes start looking for other reasons to prove they were "right" in their original assumption and in that way validate their opinion and thus remain consistent. At least according to some book I read a few year ago.

This is a classic example where some wanted FCPF to stay and others wanted him gone no matter the cost. Both sides dug in their heels and now one side seems to have the ammunition to say "see I told you so!! I was right all along"

The other side must now find other malevolent reasons to prove they weren't really wrong.

Basically it's just people being people.

What I have always tried to encourage my children is to worry only about doing right not being right. Doing right is a now and future thing. Being right is in the past and less important.

I really prefer football talk to this stuff....

I think it goes a little deeper than that.

There are those that only care about what happens on the field. Those will point to the overall record and praise Fulmer. Many of these will also admit it was time for him to go after a 5-year tailspin, but 10 years later the record is what they choose to remember.

There are others that consider how he has managed to finagle his last three jobs at UT, at the cost of others including a beloved Johnny Majors, to be what determines their level of like/dislike for Fulmer.

I fall in the second group, and cannot help but wonder if his primary desire is to make UT great again or salvage his legacy by trying to erase the 5-year tailspin.

Maybe he can accomplish both regardless of his motivation.

A few of the old timers who were upset when Majors was fired blamed it on Fulmer, and say hay Fulmer "stabbed Majors in the back." And, they are now saying that Fulmer stabbed Currie in the back in order to steal the AD position from him. However, neither of these stories are true... not even close.

1). Johnny Majors had heart problems and had to have surgery. Fuller was promoted to ACTING head coach. When Majors returned he went in to see AD Dickie and told him that he was ready to return, but wanted a raise. Dickie told him that The UTAD was under a salary freeze and he could not offer him a raise at that time. Majors cussed Dickey out and told him that if he wasn't getting a raise he was going to quit. Dickie said, "I accept your resignation." That was the end of Coach Johnny Majors career at the University of Tennessee, and ACTING Head Coach Phillip Fulmer had the "Acting" taken off the title and was promoted to Head Coach. Everyone knows that Majors had other personal issues that were probably involved in Dickie's decision to accept Major's oral "resignation" as he did, but that is water under the bridge and there is no need to bring that up again.

2) After a number of successful years of coaching at UT including SECC's, bowl wins, and even a Natty, Fulmer had a tough year in 2008. Haslam told Mike Hamilton that he would pay Fulmer's buyout if he would fire him mid-season, and the rest is history. There are a few unfounded (undocumented) rumors that Fulmer contacted coaching candidates to warn them away, but they are all rumors... so do with rumors what you will. However, evidence has shown that Fulmer, since his firing, has always been very supportive of everything Big Orange. He has assisted the University of Tennessee in every way they have asked him.

3) And most recent, Fulmer was accused of messing up John Currie's coaching search in order to get him fired... so Fulmer could replace Currie as AD. Again, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support those accusations. The evidence does, however, support the fact that Currie and Haslam were big buddies with Greg Schiano, and that there was no real search going on for a football coach apart from Schiano... until the fan base protest caused the Chancellor to refuse to sign the MOU to end that deal. No, Fulmer did not stab Currie in the back, the fan base rose up and put an end to that deal. Then Currie and Haslam went into panic mode and started jetting all over the country making offers to Gundy, Brohm, Doeren, Leach, and putting out feelers to others. But it was Currie going to Los Angles aboard a Kansas State booster's jet to meet with Leach without the Chancellor's knowledge that got him fired. Fulmer had nothing to do with that, but the Fulmer haters grasp at that straw to spew their hate and division anyway.

After Fulmer was hired as AD, he has not bad-mouthed anyone. He simply went to work quietly and found us the best coach who would answer the call to come to UT to clean up the ashes of the dumpster fire left by Mike Hamilton, Dave Hart, John Currie, Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, and yes, to some degree, by Phillip Fulmer himself during those last couple of years as head coach. I do not put all the blame on Fulmer, because he did not have the support of Haslam and Mike Hamilton to turn things around. They would not give him the $$$ to hire assistants and good coordinators after Cut left. But, Fulmer did make a couple of bad hires and would not fire them, and he made a few bad coaching decisions that lost some games. So, yes, as AD he is helping clean up a huge mess that he was in at least a small way responsible for, and I appreciate that.

So, to answer the OP's question, haters are gonna hate... so go ahead and hate away. But I think there is enough hate in the world already, so why not look at the big picture and try to see that things are not always as they seem... and that rumors are not always true... and neither are "Grumors."

Last edited:
With 1311 posts and only 19 likes shows you have a very negative out look. More like you have just been trolling. and still are.

In general, most negavols have more likes than your average sunshine pumper. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

Clearly the folks who hate Fulmer are employees and management of Pilot/Flying J. More Fulmer means less Haslam. And that is the best thing possible for our program.

Reactions: 8 people
I understand your point, however there have been many negative comments about PF on this this board as well as articials in the media. So part of the reason we know how most people feel is due to this thread, but we can agree to disagree on that.
I would like to apologize for calling you a name I had no right to do so. GBO

Its all good man, i know i come off a bit harsh as well. Not intended im just a bit direct. No hard feeling though.

VN Store

Back