Why all the Fulmer hate?

I'm assuming this is what you are talking about?

Well, it appears I wasn't the only one that misunderstood, if you are having to explain it over there as well.

Yes, as explained, I was not in the right state of mind and it was written poorly. I deserved the responses

Yes, as explained, I was not in the right state of mind and it was written poorly. I deserved the responses

And I get that, and I understand your mea culpa, I do it all the time. But that was just one post.

If we looked, it's not hard to find many disparaging remarks and expressions of actual loathing of CPF. (not necessarily by you)

I honestly don't get it. Would just like someone to explain what he has done to deserve such hatred and ridicule.

It’s just a few haters that feel the need to voice it multiple times in every thread the man’s name is mentioned.

Fulmer has a high approval rating overall. You can’t please everyone.

Reactions: 1 person
Who Thinks Phil will hire the wrong guy?

Talking about Fulmer "We got F'ed by the Great Pumpkin again".

Do I need to go on? There are 2 active threads right now that are solely about how much they hate Fulmer.

So a few people create 2 threads on vn and that constitutes a "why all the hate" thread? Did it occur to you that some people may not share your opinion?

Did you consider weighting the amount of negative threads to the number of positive threads, before starting this one? Well, nm clearly you didnt.

Last edited:
I have nothing but respect for Phil. But, you'll always have people that throw in negative comments about anything and everything. These are the same people you encounter in life who seem to find the gray cloud inside of every silver lining.

Reactions: 2 people
Truthfully it is a simple psychological thing in my opinion. People as a general rule like to be consistent. This often leads to folks having a very difficult time admitting they were wrong about a previous assumption. People will sometimes start looking for other reasons to prove they were "right" in their original assumption and in that way validate their opinion and thus remain consistent. At least according to some book I read a few year ago.

This is a classic example where some wanted FCPF to stay and others wanted him gone no matter the cost. Both sides dug in their heels and now one side seems to have the ammunition to say "see I told you so!! I was right all along"

The other side must now find other malevolent reasons to prove they weren't really wrong.

Basically it's just people being people.

What I have always tried to encourage my children is to worry only about doing right not being right. Doing right is a now and future thing. Being right is in the past and less important.

I really prefer football talk to this stuff....

Last edited:
So a few people create 2 threads on vn and that constitutes a "why all the hate" thread? Did it occur to you that some people may not share your opinion?

Yes, that has occurred to me. I like Majors, and I like Fulmer.

Do you have something constructive to add? Maybe answer the question, or are you just trolling?

Reactions: 3 people
Truthfully it is a simple psychological thing in my opinion. People as a general rule like to be consistent. This often leads to folks having a very difficult time admitting they were wrong about a previous assumption. People will sometimes start looking for other reasons to prove they were "right" in their original assumption and in that way validate their opinion and thus remain consistent. At least according to some book I read a few year ago.

This is a classic example where some wanted FCPF to stay and others wanted him gone no matter the cost. Both sides du in their heels and now one side seems to have the ammunition to say "see I told you so!! I was right all along"

The other side must now find other malevolent reasons to prove they weren't really wrong.

Basically it's just people being people.

What I have always tried to encourage my children is to worry only about doing right not being right. Doing right is a now and future thing. Being right is in the past and less important.

I really prefer football talk to this stuff....

I agree. Whether we wanted him gone or wanted him to stay, what happened, happened.

We are here. Now.

So I don't understand their thought process.

Thanks for the explanation, very thoughtful and insightful.

Yes, that has occurred to me. I like Majors, and I like Fulmer.

Do you have something constructive to add? Maybe answer the question, or are you just trolling?

My bad, i didnt view this thread as constructive? If you really what an answer, ask the two people that dont like Phil in the 2 threads they created. Stop trying to paint a narrative of "all the hate " pointed at PF, the reaction to him has been overwhelmingly positive.

Phil>Currie ......He bleeds orange and loves the Vols so stfu and let the man take us back to the top!!!🍊🍊🍊🍊

Silly metric to decide whether someone is credible. Do you know how long this place has had likes?

While the metric is probably silly to us old guys, it is still a metric and a valid one at that.

The most liked posts and posters are those who typically bring something to the table and not just typical internet message board babble.....Which probably explains why I have so few....:)

My bad, i didnt view this thread as constructive? If you really what an answer, ask the two people that dont like Phil in the 2 threads they created. Stop trying to paint a narrative of "all the hate " pointed at PF, the reaction to him has been overwhelmingly positive.

I didn't realize you were the thread Nazi. My bad. I'll remember to ask your permission in the future.

I didn't realize you were the thread Nazi. My bad. I'll remember to ask your permission in the future.

No need to ask permission. Dont get all buttburt. When you ask stupid question you should expect stupid answer. The reaction to PF has been overwhelming positive correct?

Fulmer has sabotaged three straight. coaching searches, contacting coaches, telling them why they should not take the job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No need to ask permission. Dont get all buttburt. When you ask stupid question you should expect stupid answer. The reaction to PF has been overwhelming positive correct?

No, there has always been and will always continue to be some who dislike him and everything about him. They go out of there way to point it out. I was talking to them.

Are you one of them? If not, I guess I wasn't talking to you.

But since you answered, apparently you are. Why do you hate Phil Fulmer? Can you explain that to me?

No, there has always been and will always continue to be some who dislike him and everything about him. They go out of there way to point it out. I was talking to them.

Are you one of them? If not, I guess I wasn't talking to you.

But since you answered, apparently you are. Why do you hate Phil Fulmer? Can you explain that to me?

See, this here is one now:

Fulmer has sabotaged three straight. coaching searches, contacting coaches, telling them why they should not take the job.

See, his answer was to my actual question. Yours was to say that my premise was wrong and nobody hates Fulmer.

Last edited:
The word on the street was he cut line one time and it spread from there.

He lost too many game in 2005 and 2008.

His record against Florida wasn't good.

Ok, so how exactly did he sabotage the Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch hires? What input did he have in those?

Who did he contact telling them not to take the job, when did he do that?

Ok, I have to ask. Where does all this deep seated actual hate and loathing of all things Phillip Fulmer come from?

Sincerely, I want to know, because I really don't get it. All he did was win for us. Sure he had 2 bad seasons out of 16. But even the 2005 season, we were competitive. While we should have done better (and did the next year) it's not the crap show that we saw this past season. The biggest affront I can find on this season is the loss to Vandy.

Opponent Result
UAB W*17–10**
at*No. 6*Florida L*7–16**
at*No. 4*LSU W*30–27*OT*
Ole Miss W*27–10**
No. 5*Georgia L*14–27**
at*No. 5*Alabama L*3–6***
South Carolina L*15–16**
at*No. 8*Notre Dame L*21–41**
Memphis W*20–16**
Vanderbilt L*24–28**
at*Kentucky W*28–7**

2008 could arguably be compared more to this past season, but even then, we didn't lose to Vandy and Kentucky in the same year. And by all accounts, the Wyoming game was thrown in protest by the players.

Opponent Result
at*UCLA L*24–27*OT*
UAB W*35–3**
No. 4*Florida L*6–30**
at*No. 15*Auburn L*12–14**
Northern Illinois W*13–9**
at*No. 10*Georgia L*14–26**
Mississippi State W*34–3**
No. 2*Alabama L*9–29**
at*South Carolina L*6–27**
Wyoming L*7–13**
at*Vanderbilt W*20–10**
Kentucky W*28–10**

So explain to me why a coach with these record and accomplishments is so reviled with such venom, please. I truly just don't get it.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Accomplishments and honors

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)
SEC Eastern Division (1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007)

Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)
George Munger Award (1998)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (1998)
Sporting News College Football COY (1998)
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)

College Football Hall of Fame
Inducted in 2012

Many that hate Fulmer hold the whole Majors thing against him.

VN Store

Back