Who does everyone see winning the East?

With South Carolina hosting UGA in Columbia in week 2, whoever wins that is in the drivers seat in my opinion. To me it’s the biggest game in the SEC this season. Sucks, but I think it is. Columbia will be an absolute hornets nest that day. So I’m going USCjr in the East. That said, they don’t have much room to slip up.

SC or UGA. SC gets UGA at home 2nd game of the season, so playing them early benefits SC. IMO

I think it would be interesting to see how you would pick 2-7 in the SEC East....

1. UGA (7-1) - UGA gonna UGA once and lose a game they shouldn't
2. USCe (5-3) - Draws Ole Miss
3. UF (4-4)
4. Mizzou (4-4)
5. UT (3-5) Beats UK for tiebreaker
6. UK (3-5)
7. Vandy (1-7)

Auburn is the strangest team in the SEC. Never can tell with them because they are so erratic. As someone posted earlier, 3-9 one year then playing for a NC the next.

Every year they are picked high they suck, with the exception of 2010 and Cam. Herbstreit and others said they would be great and they were, but that is not the norm.

I think it would be interesting to see how you would pick 2-7 in the SEC East....

1. UGA (7-1) - UGA gonna UGA once and lose a game they shouldn't
2. USCe (5-3) - Draws Ole Miss
3. UF (4-4)
4. Mizzou (4-4)
5. UT (3-5) Beats UK for tiebreaker
6. UK (3-5)
7. Vandy (1-7)

You think a winless in SEC play team that returns a majority of the athletes responsible for that are somehow going to win more than 2 games? I hope the new coaches can coach and overcome the apparent lack of coaching and become miracle workers but I just don't see it happening. Seriously hope I prove wrong, not dead wrong, but only mostly dead wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
You think a winless in SEC play team that returns a majority of the athletes responsible for that are somehow going to win more than 2 games? I hope the new coaches can coach and overcome the apparent lack of coaching and become miracle workers but I just don't see it happening. Seriously hope I prove wrong, not dead wrong, but only mostly dead wrong.

I think UT beats Vandy and UK and takes one from the USCe, UF, and Mizzou set. As bad as we were last year, we lost a game on a Hail Mary, a dropped pass, and a last second game at UK. With any type of competent coaching (or at least a coach who doesn't line up in the shotgun from the 6 inch line), that's 3-5.

I think UT goes 6-6 and plays Texas (the fake UT) in the Liberty Bowl.

Reactions: 5 people

Florida.
UGA lost many players to graduation or to the NFL.
Florida did fairly well last season and only need a real coach to get them back to winning again.
Vols will not match up to UGA or Florida's roster and Vols will choke against Florida but could squeak out a win against UGA.

I think UT beats Vandy and UK and takes one from the USCe, UF, and Mizzou set. As bad as we were last year, we lost a game on a Hail Mary, a dropped pass, and a last second game at UK. With any type of competent coaching (or at least a coach who doesn't line up in the shotgun from the 6 inch line), that's 3-5.

That is close to my accessment. I am more in line for us to go 5 - 7 but I can see how one of the 12 teams on our schedule gives us a game to make it 6 wins.

Georgia.
The only team that I see even having a chance to beat them in the east is South Carolina. Then again, what do I know?! I thought Dormady was going to be a real star at Tennessee.

I honestly never understood why Dormady even came to UT. The offense we run simply does not fit his play style.... Why???

It is fun to do these predictions but they generally don't turn out the way most of us project them to.

Example: 2007, we had a bad roster. You may want to revisit that roster to see just how bad it was. A. Foster was a junior, Gerald Jones was a freshman, Quinton Hancock was a receiver, D. Moore was an underclassman, Dan Williams was a senior. Those are the bright spots on the roster. However; we somehow backed in to the S.E.C. Championship game. We lost to Florida and beat Ky. in 287 overtimes to qualify to represent the East.

In 2005's preseason, nobody predicted the outcome that we had with the first losing season in 20 years.

In 2015, nobody predicted the team would fall apart with losses to USC, Vandy to eliminate us from the SEC Championship game and to also eliminate us from the Sugar Bowl.

True. I remember last year as being one long skid mark that actually become almost unwatchable towards the end. Im skeptical and pessimistic by nature but I really want to be proven wrong this year by the coaches and the players.

I think if you're picking anybody except Georgia, you're just looking to be contrarian.

They're loaded with talent and the East is once again weak. I don't see any team in the east outside of Georgia doing better than 5-3, and I'd be hard pressed to find 3 losses in the conference for Georgia.

I disagree, I live in GA and take great pride in the UGA choke factor. They always choke when it counts and especially when they get a lot of preseason hype..they are loaded with talent but history tells me they won't live up to their expectations.

True. I remember last year as being one long skid mark that actually become almost unwatchable towards the end. Im skeptical and pessimistic by nature but I really want to be proven wrong this year by the coaches and the players.

Last year made me apathetic. I was a at wedding during the LSU game, didn’t check the score, didn’t watch any replays. It was basically like “ehh, the hell with it.” It’s taken me until July to get excited again.

easy guess is UGA, and that probably will happen. But, I don't think it's a given they are going to romp thru the division. Though they are stacked in talent, they lost alot key senior team leadership, especially at RB. Muschamp has got SC stabilized, moving upwards and seems to be a good fit there. We are rolling thru our 4th coach in 10 years, and you've got to give them some credit on their past three coaching hires...Holtz, Spurrier, Muschamp.

UGA will cruise. People talking about Dawgs resting on their laurels are way off base. Kirby had no problem recruiting over Eason and he's put Fromm on notice the year after winning the SECCG. UGA has not hit their ceiling yet.

Well I don't think we'll win the East, but I don't think we're as bad as everyone claims we are.

We had a ton of injuries last year, as well as boneheaded coaching moves.

I believe the talent is there, so unless every single recruiting service missed on every single recruit we got in the past five years then we have talent.

I could see us finishing as high as second, but no lower than fourth. Granted we have the tougher schedule but we get a few key games at home, FL and KY come to mind, and those games were lost on boneheaded coaching decisions in the final minutes of the game.

But as it stands, the East is UGA's to lose.

Every year they are picked high they suck, with the exception of 2010 and Cam. Herbstreit and others said they would be great and they were, but that is not the norm.

They did pretty good last year too. Preseason #12, got as high as #4, finished #10. They were just a fringe top 25 team during the Cam year. #22. Their preseason ranking is usually a contrary indicator for how their season will go; last year was an exception.

Vintage Auburn years were 2012 (preseason #25, went 3-9), 2013 (preseason unranked and almost won it all), 2014 (preseason #6, finished #22), 2015 (preseason #6, finished an unranked 7-6), and 2016 (preseason unranked, got as high as #8, finished #22).

They really only have great years when expectations are low, meaning they probably won't be all that great this year.

UGA will cruise. People talking about Dawgs resting on their laurels are way off base. Kirby had no problem recruiting over Eason and he's put Fromm on notice the year after winning the SECCG. UGA has not hit their ceiling yet.

I'm in agreement. Georgia isn't quite at Bama's level yet, but they are heading that way quickly. The East is a dumpster fire after Georgia. Second place will have 3 or 4 losses.

South Carolina finished second last year. After checking their results, they lost to Kentucky for the fourth straight year by 10, beat Vandy by 7, beat a terrible Florida team by 8, and barely beat the worst Vol team in history. They very well may finish second again this year, but it will be more of the same.

I think Vandy is a toss up. We will be a deserved underdog in every other conference game we play this year. People who are opining that a bowl game would be a good result are probably correct.

VN Store

Back