When...

You had racism crap being thrown around and perceived nationally as our AD running Martin out of town, right or wrong it wasn't perceived very well and that was proven by who we ended up with.

Perhaps true but that had ZERO to do with the roster

Not true at all IMO. We lost the coach in part to it, losing your coach effects the roster, no?

The day CDT was hired the roster hadn't changed.

I think most coaching candidates would look at roster and signees and evaluate from there.

That was the point made I thought

The day CDT was hired the roster hadn't changed.

I think most coaching candidates would look at roster and signees and evaluate from there.

That was the point made I thought

If Looney had signed with the Vols does the job look more attractive?

I'm bowing out of this after this post. This has turned into a debate about Cuonzo here and it will never end if you try to get BTO to view anything Cuonzo related in an objective manner.

The job wasn't anymore attractive this last go around but we were the beneficiaries of good timing if you want to call it that. We knew in advance we might be able to ax DT and therefore we weren't caught on our heels when he was bounced. We were able to swoop in and hire Barnes as soon as his final press conference ended.

During the search that landed Tyndall, we were fresh off a sweet 16 run where the team had underachieved all season long with 3 NBA players before going on a great run inspired by a petition started by a pissed off fanbase.

At the end of the day, you're on a coaching search trying to get a coach to come in following up a sweet 16 run knowing UT had been to the tourney 7 out of the last 9 years and knowing they would be inheriting the worst roster at UT since the early 2000's. White wanted decided to stay at Louisiana Tech for "more long-term security" in his contract there than what "Tennessee seemed willing to provide" and that is because he knew the roster was crap.

This nonsense about our job being perceived in a bad way nationally is overblown by people who want to love on Cuonzo who was a petition away from getting fired with 3 NBA players on his roster.

Last edited:
Ok, then the negativity and image surrounding the program very well could have effected the perceived roster.

Come on BTO the looney recruitment was well over before the negatively you brought up occurred.

His recruitment took place during a time we all had high expectations for the upcoming year and things appear to be heading in the right direction

That would be like blaming a failed recruitment this summer in football on negativity

Reactions: 1 person
This nonsense about our job being perceived in a bad way nationally is overblown by people who want to love on Cuonzo who was a petition away from getting fired with 3 NBA players on his roster.

So there wasn't a national stink being made? ESPN, Yahoo Sports, CBS sports etc didnt have reporters tweeting negative things about UT constantly? Smearing articles weren't written by Seth Davis?

I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face, that outside of Knoxville there was no bad image being presented by multiple outlets? Like I've already said, whether it was right or wrong isn't what is being debated, it simply is whether or not the Tennessee basketball program had a negative perception being presented about it during that time period, and IMO there's absolutely no doubt what that answer is.

Come on BTO the looney recruitment was well over before the negatively you brought up occurred.

His recruitment took place during a time we all had high expectations for the upcoming year and things appear to be heading in the right direction

That would be like blaming a failed recruitment this summer in football on negativity

There wasn't negativity until mid way through year 3? Really?

There wasn't negativity until mid way through year 3? Really?

Racism, petition, and such no.

I do agree with you it was there during the NCAA tourney run.

Normal negativity back and forth here sure but it was far from a factor during looneys recruitment

So there wasn't a national stink being made? ESPN, Yahoo Sports, CBS sports etc didnt have reporters tweeting negative things about UT constantly? Smearing articles weren't written by Seth Davis?

I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face, that outside of Knoxville there was no bad image being presented by multiple outlets? Like I've already said, whether it was right or wrong isn't what is being debated, it simply is whether or not the Tennessee basketball program had a negative perception being presented about it during that time period, and IMO there's absolutely no doubt what that answer is.

Roster was a big deal. Other stuff is background noise.

Alrighty then, agree to disagree.

Fair enough but if you got back to October of 13, looney Decision time, most discussions here was about CCM and his roster being ready to win at a high level

Most expected a high NCAA tourney seed and sweet 16 or higher was being predicted. We had plenty to be excited about in the fall of 13

Reactions: 1 person
Fair enough but if you got back to October of 13, looney Decision time, most discussions here was about CCM and his roster being ready to win at a high level

Most expected a high NCAA tourney seed and sweet 16 or higher was being predicted. We had plenty to be excited about in the fall of 13

And plenty calling for his head, let's not clutter the thread, as I said already, agree to disagree.

Revisionist history to make excuses for Cuonzo. Get used to it if you're going to continue to be active in the hoops forum.

VN Store

Back