When...

Pearl was fired because of breaking the rules, Rick was fired because he wouldn't change staff's and because he wasn't getting the job done.

And Barnes was also as Texas 3x as long as Pearl was at Tennessee, so your point is invalid. You said Rick is no Pearl, that's beyond foolish which you likely realized when you started comparing resumes.

And Barnes was also as Texas 3x as long as Pearl was at Tennessee, so your point is invalid. You said Rick is no Pearl, that's beyond foolish which you likely realized when you started comparing resumes.

You said "did auburn fans think pearl was a big time get" of course they did, he wasn't fired for not getting the job done.

Reactions: 1 person
well I do wished that CBP had reported the great BBQ fiasco,but the cover up killed him,not the NCAA penalty

i think that CRB will be fine as the head coach of the Vols

You said "did auburn fans think pearl was a big time get" of course they did, he wasn't fired for not getting the job done.

And the OP didn't specify "why he was fired" as mattering, did he? He said, "If the coach was fired from his previous job", not sure how that's big time"...he never specified that reasoning of firing as a factor, you made that part up.

Pretty simple.

Both were fired for very different reasons.

The hiring of CBP at Auburn was a clear excitement buzz on the plains

The hiring of CRB wasn't around Knoxville.

Not even comparable

Not sure what else can be said

Last edited:
Pretty simple.

Both were fired for very different reasons.

The hiring of CBP at Auburn was a clear excitement buzz on the plains

The hiring of CRB wasn't around Knoxville.

Not even comparable

Not sure what else can be said

How about all this "why" discussion is pointless because this was the original comment:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't we hire a coach that was fired from his previous job in basketball? If so, not sure how thats big time

No mention of how, why, etc., just that we hired a coach that was fired from his previous job, therefore it's not big time.

If someone thinks CBP isn't a big time hire I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

If someone thinks CBP isn't a big time hire I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Again, just so we are clear, the only person who thinks that is UTK. My point was, he said it can't be a big time hire if the coach was fired from his previous job, that seemed outlandish as most like yourself would consider Pearl a big time hire.

Hiring a coach who got was just fired for performance/results is not a big time hire. And don't give me the "he was asked to fire his staff" story. If he is getting asked to do that then they wanted rid of him. Bottom line.

I don't want to hear about stats from their resumes and what they did 10 years ago. If schools are just going to look at career win totals to determine who to hire then every college football team in the country should be beating down Lou Holtz and Phil Fulmer's doors.

I'm not even saying Barnes was a bad hire or can't coach or the game has passed him by. Not saying any of that. But the truth is that hiring Barnes this past spring wasn't a "big time" hire. He is a very accomplished coach. But he's also a coach who was fired for his results.

I find it funny that with our two hires before Barnes,people complained about us going after young up and coming mid major coaches that hadn't done a whole lot and not throwing money at successful established coach. We hire a successful established coach this time in Barnes and people still complain. I don't think people realize how big of an hire Barnes was with the current state of Tennessee men's basketball.

Reactions: 3 people
I find it funny that with our two hires before Barnes,people complained about us going after young up and coming mid major coaches that hadn't done a whole lot and not throwing money at successful established coach. We hire a successful established coach this time in Barnes and people still complain. I don't think people realize how big of an hire Barnes was with the current state of Tennessee men's basketball.

I didn't complain with the precious 2 hires. I liked them both at the time

I don't like this one and it has nothing to do with him getting fired. Had we hired him away from them I still wouldn't like it. I thought his teams at texas underachieved and his career is on the downswing. I don't like the age.

Hiring a coach who got was just fired for performance/results is not a big time hire. And don't give me the "he was asked to fire his staff" story. If he is getting asked to do that then they wanted rid of him. Bottom line.

I don't want to hear about stats from their resumes and what they did 10 years ago. If schools are just going to look at career win totals to determine who to hire then every college football team in the country should be beating down Lou Holtz and Phil Fulmer's doors.

I'm not even saying Barnes was a bad hire or can't coach or the game has passed him by. Not saying any of that. But the truth is that hiring Barnes this past spring wasn't a "big time" hire. He is a very accomplished coach. But he's also a coach who was fired for his results.

So, Michigan hiring Harbaugh wasn't a big time hire because he was fired for performance issues. Do you agree to that given what you just said?

So, Michigan hiring Harbaugh wasn't a big time hire because he was fired for performance issues. Do you agree to that given what you just said?

I shouldn't even respond to this post but against my better judgment I will.

He wasn't fired for performance.

He was 44-19 at SF. In 4 seasons he went to the NFC championship game 3 times. Went to the Super Bowl once.

Plenty of failed stops in the professional rasnks are followed by very successful ones in college

Spurrier, Saban, Carroll all for that mold

Not nearly as many fired coaches(due to performance) followed that up with success at their next jobs

And nobody is arguing otherwise, I don't understand why that's still not clear, what's being said is that UTK's post was clearly not accurate, that is all.

Plenty of failed stops in the professional rasnks are followed by very successful ones in college

Spurrier, Saban, Carroll all for that mold

Not nearly as many fired coaches(due to performance) followed that up with success at their next jobs

Nc State is pretty happy with Gotfried

And nobody is arguing otherwise, I don't understand why that's still not clear, what's being said is that UTK's post was clearly not accurate, that is all.

You knew what he meant.

Rick Barnes was fired for not getting the job done. It was not a big time hire.

Arguing minutia/spin/word games is your cup of tea and I get that. You know what the OP meant though.

VN Store

Back