When...

You knew what he meant.

Rick Barnes was fired for not getting the job done. It was not a big time hire.

Arguing minutia/spin/word games is your cup of tea and I get that. You know what the OP meant though.

No I truly didn't know what he meant, that's why I asked him. If he meant that in general if you're fired from your previous job it's not a big time hire I felt that was incorrect, if there were disclaimers to that then ok, but that's why I asked.

I don't think Barnes was by an stretch the worlds greatest hire, but given the situation and what Tennessee basketball really needed/needs, I think he was likely the safest hire.

Much like Jones is being discussed, even if he is canned he is leaving the program much more desirable and better looking than he found it, I feel the same will likely be said about Barnes whenever it is he decided to retire.

You knew what he meant.

Rick Barnes was fired for not getting the job done. It was not a big time hire.

Arguing minutia/spin/word games is your cup of tea and I get that. You know what the OP meant though.

Yep it was clear what he meant

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think Barnes was by an stretch the worlds greatest hire, but given the situation and what Tennessee basketball really needed/needs, I think he was likely the safest hire.

Much like Jones is being discussed, even if he is canned he is leaving the program much more desirable and better looking than he found it, I feel the same will likely be said about Barnes whenever it is he decided to retire.

Agree. I wanted Will Wade but I can see why Barnes was the choice. He is safe and brings stability. That had to be very attractive to the UTAD.

My thing with hiring basketball coaches is that if you find the right guy, you're set for a decade or possible much longer. Look at Billy D at Florida. That single hire made them an elite program for 15 years. Their fans don't even care about basketball.

We had that here with Pearl I believe and UT/Pearl found a way to screw it up. I just wish we would look for the long term answer and not a guy who I fear is cruising towards retirement.

I suggest you check his Nc State resume, as usual you're pretty off base.

He has lost 11-14 games every year while being on the bubble pretty much every year.

Pretty medicroe and I think nc state can do better

I will say his I think the problem at Bama is Bama more than the coaches. I would rather have grant than our current coach at this time. Bama is a graveyard IMO

I guess I forgot about us being a men's basketball powerhouse with a great national perception and no baggage whatsoever. We are definitely in a position to complain about hiring a coach who has been to the NCAA tournament more times than we have as a school.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree. I wanted Will Wade but I can see why Barnes was the choice. He is safe and brings stability. That had to be very attractive to the UTAD.

My thing with hiring basketball coaches is that if you find the right guy, you're set for a decade or possible much longer. Look at Billy D at Florida. That single hire made them an elite program for 15 years. Their fans don't even care about basketball.

We had that here with Pearl I believe and UT/Pearl found a way to screw it up. I just wish we would look for the long term answer and not a guy who I fear is cruising towards retirement.

I agree with that, it's a big reason why I was for Martin and preached patience. He was a relatively young coach showing signs of improvement and learning, and that has continued. I think the Michael White courting shows just how bad this place was perceived, Hart wanted White and couldn't seal the deal, how quickly was Florida able to get that one wrapped up? I think the hope is Barnes makes this job much more attractive, so that maybe we can attract the Archie Miller, Hurley's or Michael White's of the world when that time comes (obviously it'll be new names), and aren't left hiring the Tyndall type of young coach, but the hot name young coach who many HM's covet.

He has lost 11-14 games every year while being on the bubble pretty much every year.

Pretty medicroe and I think nc state can do better

I will say his I think the problem at Bama is Bama more than the coaches. I would rather have grant than our current coach at this time. Bama is a graveyard IMO

He's made 2/4 sweet 16, by definition that's definitely not occasional. Also, he coaches in the ACC, losing 11 games in the ACC isn't like losing 11 games in the SEC, what seed did each of his 4 NCST teams receive?

8, 8, 11,12

Very medicroe

8&8 aren't squeaking it, that's firmly in. And like I said 2/4 for Sweet 16's hardly qualifies as an occasional sweet 16.

As a Vol fan, I would take 4/4 NCAAT, and 2/4 Sweet 16 trips over the next 4 seasons, and be pretty happy, but maybe that's just me.

8&8 aren't squeaking it, that's firmly in. And like I said 2/4 for Sweet 16's hardly qualifies as an occasional sweet 16.

As a Vol fan, I would take 4/4 NCAAT, and 2/4 Sweet 16 trips over the next 4 seasons, and be pretty happy, but maybe that's just me.

CMG is just a younger version of CRB IMO. I would prefer him over CRB since he is younger but the similarities are there for sure

Both are good coaches, great recruiting track records, and average at best at X/Os

IMO nc state deserves better but it depends on where one sees that program fitting. Perhaps I am blinded by the fact they won a natty and there aren't as elite as I Percieve

I agree with that, it's a big reason why I was for Martin and preached patience. He was a relatively young coach showing signs of improvement and learning, and that has continued. I think the Michael White courting shows just how bad this place was perceived, Hart wanted White and couldn't seal the deal, how quickly was Florida able to get that one wrapped up? I think the hope is Barnes makes this job much more attractive, so that maybe we can attract the Archie Miller, Hurley's or Michael White's of the world when that time comes (obviously it'll be new names), and aren't left hiring the Tyndall type of young coach, but the hot name young coach who many HM's covet.

The roster was the biggest deterrent to hiring a coach in that coaching search.

CMG is just a younger version of CRB IMO. I would prefer him over CRB since he is younger but the similarities are there for sure

Both are good coaches, great recruiting track records, and average at best at X/Os

IMO nc state deserves better but it depends on where one sees that program fitting. Perhaps I am blinded by the fact they won a natty and there aren't as elite as I Percieve

Yes, I think you're dead on, how many times have I heard what happened 10+ years ago doesn't matter?

The program has just gone to the sweet 16.

It should have been seen in a better light.

You had racism crap being thrown around and perceived nationally as our AD running Martin out of town, right or wrong it wasn't perceived very well and that was proven by who we ended up with.

VN Store

Back