What's The TV/Stream Deal?

I think he has asked for a lot more than you think and he hasn't consistently gotten it.

Here's the biggest problem we have with baseball. UT's administration wants desperately to win in every sport we field. They dedicate the resources to try and become a top-tier program in everything from football to rowing. They've invested a great deal in every sport.

But baseball is a different animal altogether. Baseball requires a financial and resources investment on the same level or higher than women's basketball, only you won't ever see the same kind of financial return on that investment.

Welp, all of that is troubling.

Bama has a new stadium, MSU has one in the works, UK has spent 4Million on PLANS for a new one, even Missouri has increased the budget by 6 figures in an effort to be competitive in the SEC, Vandy is doing upgrades...

So are all of the schools investing in baseball knowing they won't see a return because they are trying to be a top tier program? If so, how does UT expect to keep up?

Welp, all of that is troubling.

Bama has a new stadium, MSU has one in the works, UK has spent 4Million on PLANS for a new one, even Missouri has increased the budget by 6 figures in an effort to be competitive in the SEC, Vandy is doing upgrades...

So are all of the schools investing in baseball knowing they won't see a return because they are trying to be a top tier program? If so, how does UT expect to keep up?

Yep doesn't say much for what the AD wants out of the program

I have no idea but what does softball draw?

I am assuming 1k looks like a great crowd in a softball stadium.

Capacity is 1622, they had 1500+ twice during the first SEC series...but last year towards the end of the season, seems like every game is a sell out.

I might be off base, but it seems like there has been talk of expanding, DP would know...

This was why I said you have to walk before you can crawl. LNS is 4000+...we have a long way to go to catch the atmosphere you are talking about. We'd have to nearly triple the capacity to get in the ball park of some of these schools.

Reactions: 1 person
Capacity is 1622, they had 1500+ twice during the first SEC series...but last year towards the end of the season, seems like every game is a sell out.

I might be off base, but it seems like there has been talk of expanding, DP would know...

This was why I said you have to walk before you can crawl. LNS is 4000+...we have a long way to go to catch the atmosphere you are talking about. We'd have to nearly triple the capacity to get in the ball park of some of these schools.

Expanding isn't needed for us IMO

Just something to make the experience more of an event than a ball game.

I don't have a real idea other than enhancing the porch area and it's benefits

Expanding isn't needed for us IMO

Just something to make the experience more of an event than a ball game.

I don't have a real idea other than enhancing the porch area and it's benefits

And it's not in the cards, the most folks we got in LNS stadium last year was 2600+ and with everything on the line vs. MSU we got 1900+....

Right now the porch is not a permanent structure so I'm curious if there are plans to take that concept to another level.

More thoughts....
(1)

Tuesday night against TTU was a $2 night where drinks and hot dogs were $2.

How did UT plan for the event? Opening only one concession stand resulting in a line wrapping through the concourse.

(2) In-game promotions.

Amateurish at best. Jimmy Holt is obnoxious and needs to go as PA announcer and replaced with a professional.

(3) Facilities.

While standing in line for the damn hot dogs, I started thinking about the fan facilities. The seating area is great but the bathrooms and concourse area has quickly deteriorated in the last 23 years.

Add in a perceived lack of nearby parking, shotty performance, and such we would have trouble drawing if we were a top-10 team.

However, I'm an optimist. I think the new garage (if baseball parking is allowed) will be a god send.

I think the entire upper deck of the stadium needs to be removed and replaced. Concessions should face the field with a wide walkway. And more suites and roof needed. I don't see any conceptualization that includes a roof, and that's what a real baseball stadium needs.

I thought 25-years ago, UT and the Smokies needed to get together and build a shared stadium (like Arkansas) There is really little overlap in season. The best spot would have been on the current Cherokee Farms site. But that ship has sailed. The rich folks across river (many of them trustees) would never have allowed it anyway as the pitched a fit when intramural facilities were proposed for same spot.

I would actually like to see many of the streets around the stadium actually permanently closed and replaced with walkways, grass and trees. Todd Helton Drive could end at parking lots. This would allow the walls to be pushed back and shortened and allow more festive seating in right field.

FINALLY,
The stadiums lighting and sound systems have to be improved ASAP. They are dreadful. The massive beige poles that hold up the net have to be replaced with some slimmer models.

Reactions: 2 people
Another idea might be to have a fan giveaway day or night where some lucky fans could win UT gear or autographed baseballs by the coaching staff and the biggie would be free season tickets for a year.

Promotion is the name of the game in any sport and winning certainly helps but you also have to think outside the box at all times.

Softball sold out every SEC game last season at 1600+. Standing room pushed a few crowds to 1,800. There are plans to add seating a couple hundred seats there.

For the many things we disagree on, I believe Frye is correct in saying that the new parking garage will be huge for helping baseball crowds. There will be 500 commuter and staff spots in that garage that should be available for baseball parking. He's also correct about the promotions.

The concessions issue is something that makes UT angry as well and is a continuing problem at all non-revenue sports. Aramark communicates with the marketing department about promotions, but ultimately makes their own on staffing levels at games. Earning an extra $500 dollars at a baseball game isn't financially significant enough for Aramark to open the extra stand, so the fans get screwed and end up mad at UT.

I don't know what the answer is on the concessions issue, it was a problem under Sodexo as well and something other schools face. Those companies do concessions at non-revenue sports because the contracts they sign to make big money at football and basketball require it. I know of a couple of schools that have a separate, smaller contractor handle sports other than football and basketball. UT's contract doesn't allow that, but it may be something they look into in the future.

I've never understood the attendance issues for some sports at Florida. A place that draws 4,000 consistently for volleyball shouldn't have a problem drawing 2,000 for baseball when the program is winning. They'll get 3,000 for a women's soccer match one night, then struggle to reach that for a men's basketball early season game the next.

Another idea might be to have a fan giveaway day or night where some lucky fans could win UT gear or autographed baseballs by the coaching staff and the biggie would be free season tickets for a year.

Promotion is the name of the game in any sport and winning certainly helps but you also have to think outside the box at all times.

That's already being done.

Softball sold out every SEC game last season at 1600+. Standing room pushed a few crowds to 1,800. There are plans to add seating a couple hundred seats there.

For the many things we disagree on, I believe Frye is correct in saying that the new parking garage will be huge for helping baseball crowds. There will be 500 commuter and staff spots in that garage that should be available for baseball parking. He's also correct about the promotions.

The concessions issue is something that makes UT angry as well and is a continuing problem at all non-revenue sports. Aramark communicates with the marketing department about promotions, but ultimately makes their own on staffing levels at games. Earning an extra $500 dollars at a baseball game isn't financially significant enough for Aramark to open the extra stand, so the fans get screwed and end up mad at UT.

I don't know what the answer is on the concessions issue, it was a problem under Sodexo as well and something other schools face. Those companies do concessions at non-revenue sports because the contracts they sign to make big money at football and basketball require it. I know of a couple of schools that have a separate, smaller contractor handle sports other than football and basketball. UT's contract doesn't allow that, but it may be something they look into in the future.

I've never understood the attendance issues for some sports at Florida. A place that draws 4,000 consistently for volleyball shouldn't have a problem drawing 2,000 for baseball when the program is winning. They'll get 3,000 for a women's soccer match one night, then struggle to reach that for a men's basketball early season game the next.

Concessions

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

"If you want to make money, spend money."

What is wrong with this picture?

Cdrkm0lXEAA1wWd.jpg

The first 500 people got one of these a couple weeks ago. I guess the font is s'pose to imitate that of the jersey the player wore back in the day. But we just made the move to NIKE and we have a brand new font/logo. Don't you want the 500 people to be wearing it? That's 500 walking bill boards.

If this was my program and I could do what I wanted...I'd first spend a summer going to minor league parks that have a history of good attendance and good promotions.

Then I'd hire somebody from that field to run that aspect of the baseball program. He/She would be in charge of the food offered, staffing and he'd be given a budget to hire students. For popcorn and cokes, is it really baseball without the vendors walking around yelling "popcorn" or" ice cold coke"? No.

He/she would also be in charge of merchandise/pricing/staffing.

He/she wouldn't have the job if they didn't have a track record of fun, unique to UT, promotions.

A goal of this person would be to champion beer sells using baseball as the program to use as an experiment for a year to see if it would be worth doing in the bigger venues/sports.

The first thing I would do, is have waitresses/hostesses for those in reserved seating, like the Smokies used to do...that was fantastic and the sole reason to upgrade from general admission seats. I went to every home game in Carlos Delgado's final season and the hospitality was a major factor.

Right now, I'll just say it like it is...OLD. And I'm old.

The second thing I would do is have a designated family section and UT could do that very easily down by the playground.

That opens things up to have a rowdy section, best behind the opposing teams dugout. :) This would also be a way to get the student body more involved, this is an area that needs lots of attention imo and is a glaring weakness right now. Sharply discounted food is always good. :)

I would think about how to permanently structure the porch and of course if we're selling beer, no more BYOB. Each group would have a designated hostess (who would probably make some good money in four hours in tips alone) to make sure everything runs smoothly for each group.

I like the Left field line idea and if it really is mostly birthday parties I'd have some extra options for that group and I would definitely have a merch booth, specifically for kids over there somewhere.

In the off season, this person would be contacting local baseball teams trying to get them out to the park working out a schedule so that several teams are at every weekend series from Tee-ball to HS...this would be a larger undertaking, but it would help in several areas and could work in connection with the recruiting coordinator.

Too many items in the merchandise area can be overwhelming but obviously it should be known what items sell best and what Items should be discontinued/replaced.

Hats should be exactly like what the team wears and then there should be facsimiles at a lower price point. If I can get the same hat at a local store cheaper than the ball park, then the ball park is doing it wrong.

One big mistake, was not having a Volstro jersey, no way I'm buying the t-shirt version. Now, we should at least be able to get a replica smoky grey, realizing we can charge through the roof for it and the only place it should be available is at LNS. Player worn jerseys too. Rather than having a bunch of different style T's, have a couple that sell well in all sizes. At least one or two should be unique to the baseball program and should say "UT Baseball" or "Tennessee Baseball". The goal should be to come up with a design that is "classic" or "iconic", undeniably great.

On the inside concourse, where they have the merchandise...it is poorly lit and poorly organized...in fact as Frye points out, it's pretty drab and I also like the idea of the concessions facing the field, but that would cost a lot of money and as someone who likes to sit right around first base, the pole is an issue. That doesn't seem like a huge cost, but not sure.

If I keep going, no one will read it...so I'll finish up with this. I enjoy going to LNS, is it a great fan experience compared to say...Hoover, no. Compared to the average minor league park, no. Summer leagues, no.

If they do nothing else, how about some menu options for those of us with vegetarian spouses? That's a real drag. Cheese pizza and nachos don't count.

GBO!!!

One more thing, the ticket prices are fine for reserved and general admission, but I might add another option connected to merchandise like, $15 dollar ticket gets you general admission and a cap or a tee, just present the stub at the booth. Something like that anyway.

I'd also look into trading cards that are UT specific, how much would a mint Tennessee Todd Helton be worth today?

More than that the chance to collect the whole team over the course of the season, it also gives the kid something for the player to sign after the Sunday games.

While I'm at it...I realize a new video score board is out of the question, but what about some TV's in the concourse so you don't miss the action when going to the concessions/restrooms? That wouldn't cost much at all.

Between innings, a hot dog eating contest between Tuttle and McKenzie...promote that!

A lunchtime midweek game!

Between innings, a hot dog eating contest between Tuttle and McKenzie...promote that!

A lunchtime midweek game!

Only way to make a day game midweek work is make it for the school kids.

Reward day for honor roll or something similar.

My marketing idea would be for every game to be an area elementary school game where all kids at that school get a free ticket and come on the field to run the bases afterward.

1 kid with free ticket means many many more paid for tickets from parents

Every single game should have a school name attached to it IMO

a lot of good ideas mentioned above however winning consistenly solves most attendance issues and I realize its easier said than done!

I don't know but would be curious to find out, these college programs that have "huge" attendance numbers, what percentage is regular community "folks" vs. students? It seems when the camera scans the crowd at a LSU or Miss St. game there seems to be a lot of "locals" or "regular folks" in the crowd.

On a prior subject, not sure if I saw its n this thread or another, I believe the next "upgrade" to LNF is to expand the stands down the 3rd baseline to make it symmetrical with the 1st base side. No idea when it may be implemented if ever.......

FYI, surprisingly (I guess) Tennessee was #35 however 13th in the Conference.

2015 College Baseball Attendance

1. LSU 10,726
2. Ole Miss 8,066
3. Arkansas 7,928
4. Mississippi State 7,448
5. South Carolina 7,314
6. Texas
7. Texas A&M 4,742
8. Florida State
9. Clemson
10. Nebraska
11. Louisiana-Lafayette
12. TCU
13. Texas Tech
14. Virginia
15. Florida 3,502
16. Creighton
17. Hawaii
18. Arizona State
19. Wichita State
20. Vanderbilt 3,038
21. Rice
22. Oregon State
23. Auburn 2,800
24. Southern Miss
25. Alabama 2,761
26. Arizona
27. Kansas State
28. Miami, Fla.
29. Baylor
30. East Carolina
31. Indiana
32. Georgia 2,180
33. Kentucky 2,080
34. Tulane
35. Tennessee 1,889
36. Cal State Fullerton
37. Louisville
38. West Virginia
39. Houston
40. North Carolina
41. Oregon
42. South Alabama
43. Stanford
44. Georgia Tech
45. Texas State

http://assets.espn.go.com/SEC/baseball/2015/SEC Baseball Attendance.pdf

Last edited:
While I'm at it...I realize a new video score board is out of the question, but what about some TV's in the concourse so you don't miss the action when going to the concessions/restrooms? That wouldn't cost much at all.

It's not out of the question. Baseball, softball and soccer will all have new all-digital score/video boards prior to next season.

They would have been in place for this season, but they are going to require small structures to be built to support them, just large enough that the state building commission had to approve them. The boards themselves are already in a warehouse ready to be installed. The building commission drug its feet long enough that they couldn't be installed for this year, despite UT starting the process during last season.

FYI, surprisingly (I guess) Tennessee was #35 however 13th in the Conference.

2015 College Baseball Attendance

1. LSU 10,726
2. Ole Miss 8,066
3. Arkansas 7,928
4. Mississippi State 7,448
5. South Carolina 7,314
6. Texas
7. Texas A&M 4,742
8. Florida State
9. Clemson
10. Nebraska
11. Louisiana-Lafayette
12. TCU
13. Texas Tech
14. Virginia
15. Florida 3,502
16. Creighton
17. Hawaii
18. Arizona State
19. Wichita State
20. Vanderbilt 3,038
21. Rice
22. Oregon State
23. Auburn 2,800
24. Southern Miss
25. Alabama 2,761
26. Arizona
27. Kansas State
28. Miami, Fla.
29. Baylor
30. East Carolina
31. Indiana
32. Georgia 2,180
33. Kentucky 2,080
34. Tulane
35. Tennessee 1,889
36. Cal State Fullerton
37. Louisville
38. West Virginia
39. Houston
40. North Carolina
41. Oregon
42. South Alabama
43. Stanford
44. Georgia Tech
45. Texas State

http://assets.espn.go.com/SEC/baseball/2015/SEC Baseball Attendance.pdf

In other words, we're ahead of Missouri.

Hmmmm...

In other words, we have the 13th best home field advantage.

Hmmmm....

Last edited:
a lot of good ideas mentioned above however winning consistenly solves most attendance issues and I realize its easier said than done!

I don't know but would be curious to find out, these college programs that have "huge" attendance numbers, what percentage is regular community "folks" vs. students? It seems when the camera scans the crowd at a LSU or Miss St. game there seems to be a lot of "locals" or "regular folks" in the crowd.

On a prior subject, not sure if I saw its n this thread or another, I believe the next "upgrade" to LNF is to expand the stands down the 3rd baseline to make it symmetrical with the 1st base side. No idea when it may be implemented if ever.......

There used to be the aluminum, portable grand stands down the left field line, and nobody sat there, thus the new "birthday picnic area" was born...which does look better and UT is actually getting more money from a section that was useless before.

The dogwood arts festival is coming up in mid April, who is in charge of giving away 1000 free passes to UT baseball versus Vandy?

I'm all for "One Tennessee" in theory, but somebody has to pound the pavement and be creative for the non revenue sports...you can't out source it to people that don't have a dog in the fight. One Tennessee seems to mean "one size fits all".

But yes OT, winning would help, I never lose sight of that.

The folks willing to pay for reserved seating should be waited on, period. That is easy and cheap.

Only way to make a day game midweek work is make it for the school kids.

Reward day for honor roll or something similar.

My marketing idea would be for every game to be an area elementary school game where all kids at that school get a free ticket and come on the field to run the bases afterward.

1 kid with free ticket means many many more paid for tickets from parents

Every single game should have a school name attached to it IMO

I agree with all of this, 'cept I think lots of folks would take a "long" lunch break that day...hell I'd pull my son out of school at 11 AM for it.

Perfect attendance is over rated. :p

The point is, that's a once a season event...which makes it cool...

But yeah...Vols baseball and play hooky from school contest...set it up Bruin...the kids at Christenberry Elementary will win, I'll see to it. :p

GBO!!!

There used to be the aluminum, portable grand stands down the left field line, and nobody sat there, thus the new "birthday picnic area" was born...which does look better and UT is actually getting more money from a section that was useless before.

The dogwood arts festival is coming up in mid April, who is in charge of giving away 1000 free passes to UT baseball versus Vandy?

I'm all for "One Tennessee" in theory, but somebody has to pound the pavement and be creative for the non revenue sports...you can't out source it to people that don't have a dog in the fight. One Tennessee seems to mean "one size fits all".

But yes OT, winning would help, I never lose sight of that.

The folks willing to pay for reserved seating should be waited on, period. That is easy and cheap.

Make it 10,000 free passes. :)

We'd look GREAT on TV!

It's not out of the question. Baseball, softball and soccer will all have new all-digital score/video boards prior to next season.

They would have been in place for this season, but they are going to require small structures to be built to support them, just large enough that the state building commission had to approve them. The boards themselves are already in a warehouse ready to be installed. The building commission drug its feet long enough that they couldn't be installed for this year, despite UT starting the process during last season.

Sounds good DP, I dunno how I missed that info. Thanks!

Oh...forgot to mention, but others have...what is so hard about having the O&W game fall on a Tennessee baseball /softball game/weekend?

Last edited:
Between innings... Josh Dobbs vs. RA Dickey or Todd Helton in a long toss competition.

Just spit ballin' fellows...

VN Store

Back