What venue or home/home series would you like UT to play?

I just want to see home and homes. With all the neutral site games scheduled it really makes the home non-conference schedules really weak! I think Pitt is next in for a home and home (a few years from now).

I wouldn't mind seeing games against regional schools. Acc- Clemson, NC, or Louisville instead of PITT!

The Vols should play Memphis and MTSU and Georgia Tech each season. These are all areas that are heavily recruited by UT.

Clemson.
Can't believe these two tradition rich teams that are only 3:30 hours apart haven't played in the regular season.
At least not in recent time.

Reactions: 1 person
Here are the ones I really would like to see, so we can even the all-time score against them, heh :)
  • Baylor (we're 0-1 vs them)
  • Dartmouth (also 0-1 ... assuming they still play football?)
  • Kansas State (0-1)
  • Nebraska (0-2, a top priority)
  • Oregon (0-2, also a big priority...but let's wait a few years until we can kick they butt)
  • Pitt (0-2...seems to me this home&home series is already on the long-range calendar...)
  • Penn State (2-3)
  • Purdue (0-1)
  • USC (0-4; and please please please let Lane Kiffin be the quarterbacks coach, or waterboy there when we whup em)
  • VMI (0-1)
  • Oklahoma (we're currently 1-2 vs them...if we beat them this year, drop this from the list, heh)
  • Texas (1-2, a priority)
And amazingly, that's it! Of the 142 teams we've played in our long and illustrious history, we only need to even the odds against 12 (plus another 4 in the SEC--Bama, Florida, Auburn, and Mizzou).

So let's get on this bucket list! Go Vols!

Penn state should be 3-3. Now who was it that fumbled the football

Clemson.
Can't believe these two tradition rich teams that are only 3:30 hours apart haven't played in the regular season.
At least not in recent time.

I said Clemson too, but remembered they play S. Carolina every year, doubt they would play another SEC team in a single year. GT plays Georgia, we got them for a one time. Louisville -KY. Fla-fla. st...etc.

Michigan, Ohio State, USC

I spend 2 weeks a month in Michigan and I am asked constantly to go to the big house. I would rather watch UT on TV than see another team live. But I would like to go there once.

Had a friend go there once with his wife (from Michigan) they sat so far back he felt like he was in the parking lot. He said it was very underwhelming.

Who was UT's 1st game against? If they still have a program, it'd be cool to have an "anniversary" game.

Sewanee is now div III...That would be painful to watch.
UT played one game all 1891 season and lost 24-0
1892 UT's 1st win was vs Maryville (Div III)
Next game vs Vandy (play every year)
Sewanee
Sewanee again
Chattanooga Athletic Club for the sake of argument Chattanooga (played last year after a long break)
Vandy again
Wake Forest is the last game of that season and first non Tennessee team for UT ever.

Add Wake Forest to my list

OK, that settles it. Home/Away series with Maryville. :p

Seriously, Charlie Strong would be coaching UT now if he'd taken the offer. We got Butch instead. Disrespect? You tell me.

Would like to see a Butch/Strong - UT/UT matchup. May the best coach win!!

In no particular order,

Texas Longhorns home & home
Clemson Tigers home & home
Arizona State Sun Devils home & home
Michigan Wolverines home & home

I feel those four, one from each of the other power 5 conferences, would travel well, and attract nation wide attention. You will never hear me wishing for any non power 5 opponent, save one. And for reasons stated against playing them many times.

Not including those already scheduled for the future, (Va Tech, Georgia Tech, and West Virginia) here is my top ten wishlist for possible opponents for neutral site, home and home, or however they wish to bring them on:

Wisconsin Badgers h/h
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Michigan State Spartans
Stanford Cardinal
Oklahoma State Cowboys
Virginia Cavaliers
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Penn State Nittany Lion
Baylor Bears
Boise State Broncos(the one exception for my power 5 rule)

Just saying no to the Buffalos, Troys, Akrons, and others just trying to pay their bills.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed going to Notre Dame. Nicest fans I've ever experienced. I'd love to play at Wisconsin (as long as its the same weekend as a Packers home game) so that I could go to Camp Randall and finally get to Lambeau

Now, I gotta edit my top ten.

I think we should do a home/home forever with FSU! The game would rotate around venues in Europe. The game would be the first game of the season EVERY year, last week, then a week off for both teams and the next scheduled game!

VN Store

Back