What oil(and filter) do you use?

Wrong. It does thrasher. Cai gained me 6 horsepower to the wheels and 2mpg on my lightning

I guess you have a very special motor.

Gas Mileage Tips - Keeping Your Vehicle in Shape

A new study shows that replacing a clogged air filter on cars with fuel-injected, computer-controlled gasoline engines does not improve fuel economy but it can improve acceleration time by around 6 to 11 percent. This kind of engine is prevalent on most gasoline cars manufactured from the early 1980s onward.

Special? No.
High performance? Yes.

Less air restriction equals better flow.
Better flow creates abundant of things.
Acceleration being one of them.

Your logic that a free flow will not net mpg gains is crap. I don't care where you get your info.

I get it real world.
You stated that if filter becomes dirty or flies less air that the computer will compensate with less fuel. It will indeed but nets less mpg as the car is not at its best effiency.

What kind of vehicle do you drive?

Btw on diesels it helps as well. Allows turbo to spool up faster. And mpg increases 3-5

And you can't ever run a diesel to lean. All these trucks blowing black smoke are rich. The black smoke is unburned fuel.

Last edited:
Do cold air intakes increase mpg? The answer is Yes! performance air intakes, help your engine to work more efficiently. The power of an engine is directly proportional to the amount of air drawn into a cylinder and retained until ignition. To increase the engine power, increase the airflow capacity, and or the air-fuel charge which must be burned more effectively. Most factory engines "volumetric efficiency" is a compromise between fuel economy, efficiency, reliability,noise and performance. Thus adding a performance cold air intakes like K&N air filter is the first step to increasing fuel economy for your truck.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1312343

I have only been to one auto cross event and of course all I did was watch. The even I went to there weren't a ton of cars and all three of my friends that were in the event got about 5-6 runs a piece. Is that normal?

It depends on the the number of people who turn up. If you have a lot of folks you won't get many runs, but if it's fairly empty you can get 5-6.

Even still it's less than 10-12 minutes of track time even on a relatively empty day.

I also don't bother because I know with my car, I will be learning more about the weakness of my tires and be running in the weakest area of my car.

With 280ftlbs of torque, the Mazdaspeed 3 is limited in power in 1st and 2nd gear.

It depends on the the number of people who turn up. If you have a lot of folks you won't get many runs, but if it's fairly empty you can get 5-6.

Even still it's less than 10-12 minutes of track time even on a relatively empty day.

I also don't bother because I know with my car, I will be learning more about the weakness of my tires and be running in the weakest area of my car.

With 280ftlbs of torque, the Mazdaspeed 3 is limited in power in 1st and 2nd gear.

I kind of figured your car to be quick and nimble. I've been watching some drag runs on YouTube about your car. Very impressive.

Would be a beast with a little bigger turbo and a tune.

Do cold air intakes increase mpg? The answer is Yes! performance air intakes, help your engine to work more efficiently. The power of an engine is directly proportional to the amount of air drawn into a cylinder and retained until ignition. To increase the engine power, increase the airflow capacity, and or the air-fuel charge which must be burned more effectively. Most factory engines "volumetric efficiency" is a compromise between fuel economy, efficiency, reliability,noise and performance. Thus adding a performance cold air intakes like K&N air filter is the first step to increasing fuel economy for your truck.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1312343

Cool. While ezinearticles.com seems like a completely legit source, I'm having trouble finding his link to his data. Could you help me out?

First hand experience = I've heard it from a friend

Check again.

Former GM tech. I'm cited in GM service manuals for repairs.

I've owned many diesels and high performance engines. I know what part does what and expected gains from parts.

What are you currently driving that you base your expertise on?

If you're limiting it to diesels, you're right. I was talking about modern fuel injected, gasoline motors.

If you're limiting it to diesels, you're right. I was talking about modern fuel injected, gasoline motors.

It applies to both. Diesels actually see better improvements than gas engines.

There is a lot of money spent on research and testing that proves it.

My gas gauge proves it to me. I drive spirited in my cobra. Gains were obvious when I tested it.
Next I opened up exhaust and got a little more mpg's.

Colder air creates a cleaner burn. This in return makes engine more efficient. Hence better fuel mileage. On a little 4 banger you will not see mpg gains as much as a small block v-8 Chevy, Ford or Dodge

K&N oil filter for my bike since it has the spot welded nut on the filter and predrilled hole for safety wire.

Switched to:

0007192414500_500X500.jpg

Wal-Mart stopped selling the oil I used to buy.

Don't you have to have an account or work for a company that does to buy from them?

No idea. That stinks if they won't let random people buy it. I hate that Wal-Mart stopped carrying G-Oil. I figured that it didn't sell very well, I suppose.

I will just have to go for Mobil, or Pennzoil.

No way am I dropping the coin for Royal Purple, and I don't know where to find amsiol.

Apparently only 5 places within 50 miles sell amsoil.

No idea. That stinks if they won't let random people buy it. I hate that Wal-Mart stopped carrying G-Oil. I figured that it didn't sell very well, I suppose.

I will just have to go for Mobil, or Pennzoil.

No way am I dropping the coin for Royal Purple, and I don't know where to find amsiol.

Apparently only 5 places within 50 miles sell amsoil.

Won't hurt to try. A lot of places won't turn away a sell regardless.

VN Store

Back