What if we are better?

If we have a strong leader on Defense that could be the difference in 8-11 wins. We need someone to take that role TKJ,Kongbo,Kmac or maybe Tuttle. That's a pretty stout group I'd like to see one of those guys take that on.

I agree. Upperclassmen leadership in recent years has cost the program wins. I really thought JRM would assume that role especially after his injury. Under Shoop what this team needs is a leader like Al Wilson that pushes them to victories, I hope one steps up.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll be happy with 9-10 wins this season. Anything less than that, we have some issues whether it's Butch, the assistants, or a combination of both. I do think we have enough talent to win the East this year but that's if we stay healthy and Butch does his job right.

Genuinely curious how people think this years team wins more than last year while replacing starting QB, starting RB, most productive WR in team, and arguably best DE in country

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Genuinely curious how people think this years team wins more than last year while replacing starting QB, starting RB, most productive WR in team, and arguably best DE in country

Only because the SEC E is still relatively weak. It's not that far of a stretch to see UT going 6-2 in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
What if we have a better season this year than the previous ones under Jones? It's a thought I have been rattling around in my head since spring practice. Does it mean new coaches are doing their jobs better than previous? Are new schemes better? Was injuries last season really the downfall of last season? Is it just the byproduct of young players getting p.t. last year? I personally think we will be better. So what does it mean if we are?

P.s. Long time observer, first thread

If we are better then we are better. If there's one thing I know and that's football. If you're good in football then you're good. No one knows more about being good at football than me.

Don't disagree. Said many times ... at this point, headed to year 5, it's his program and whatever happens going forward is on him.

Good or bad.

And this might very well be the theme of 121. I agree, this year is on Butch, I am leaning optimistic, still this is a wait n see year.

The elephant in the forum.

We need to be better. I can't remember the last time the Vols overachieved. We seen the underachievement movie for a while now...

What if we have a better season this year than the previous ones under Jones? It's a thought I have been rattling around in my head since spring practice. Does it mean new coaches are doing their jobs better than previous? Are new schemes better? Was injuries last season really the downfall of last season? Is it just the byproduct of young players getting p.t. last year? I personally think we will be better. So what does it mean if we are?

P.s. Long time observer, first thread

We'll probably have many and long discussions if it happens... but ultimately it doesn't matter to me. I lay responsibility for the underperformance to date at his feet. He is the self declared "caretaker of Tennessee football". He owns the attrition... the injuries... the development issues... the performances of the assistants he hired and kept around too long.

The patterns convince me that the problems likely point to Jones' abilities as a HC. BUT... I would love to be wrong and for his latest decisions (including the hundreds you didn't mention) will result in UT finally breaking through into the top tier of the SEC.

Well I would say that last season we had the talent and experience with our roster to win the east and be in SEC champ. That didn't happen. Injuries happen all the time. I think last year it was more on our coaching staff.

I'd expect we will overachieve our expectations based on how new our staff will be. We will have kids with little experience but they will be more determine to work their tails off.

The best analogy is when you get a new job. You always want to do your very best early on, but then you can get burnt out. New roster with new staff will equal more energy and lots of wins

Actually injuries don't happen all the time but when they do (especially to a position group) the effect is usually catastrophic...meaning unexpected losses....there's just no way to skirt that glaring issue and it makes the fan that does minimize it look unknowledgeable at best.

Yes, too bad the coaches couldn't do a better job preventing injuries...lol.

Coaches and especially the HC make decisions concerning... S&C, practice methods, game planning, player rotation/rest, techniques, the teaching of techniques... and ALL of these things have an impact on injuries.

Hopefully, better OL, better DB, better S&C, healthier DT and LB will help offset some of those losses. At least enough to match last season's record.

This is Butch's first year with a roster full of his players, so I think it would mean he knows how to build/recruit a winning team/roster despite all the noise and game day blunders.

Nothing is cast in stone, neither wins nor losses. But last year we had a combination of poor coaching (some from Butch, some from position coaches), we had major drama from some of the players we depended on, Williams and Hurd. We had so many injuries, and you can handle some, and we did till after Georgia. But eventually they catch up, other coaches start planning for your weaknesses. And Dobbs. God bless him, he has to be the best quarterback who was not a great passer I have ever seen. And I don't buy that he was a great leader on the field. He was a player, and a great young man, but football was not his only priority, nor should it have been. Just sayin.

I was watching ESPN, "Before they were Cowboys" this morning. The 64 Arkansas team had no stars, no pros, yet they beat a Nebraska team that outweighed them by 20 pounds per man. Leadership determination, and luck, you have to have some luck, and character. Last year's team had talent but not enough character, not enough leadership, too much drama and way too many injuries.

Now, next year may not be any better, but with a little luck, not many injuries, and better coaching I can see 10 or 11 wins. Optimistic? Yes, but if you aren't optimistic why call yourself a fan?

I don't make predictions about great players and results because there are too many variables. But I really believe both our running game AND our passing game will be better. Neither quarterback can run like Dobbs, I've never seen any quarterback with his legs execpt maybe Vick. But either can pass better. Barring major injuries our offense is going to blow up. Our defense will be better, barring major injuries, we are still thin on the defensive line. If we get lucky we will have several freshmen that will win starting roles on defense. If Martin grows up and the transfer from Cincinatti is as advertised we should be good. Still, for me, IT ALL COMES DOWN TO INJURIES.

You asked for reasons why we could win more games, this suffice?

Reactions: 4 people
This is Butch's first year with a roster full of his players, so I think it would mean he knows how to build/recruit a winning team/roster despite all the noise and game day blunders.

Last year's roster was full of his players. How does that roster or the one this fall prove that he knows how to build a "winning" roster?

We'll probably have many and long discussions if it happens... but ultimately it doesn't matter to me. I lay responsibility for the underperformance to date at his feet. He is the self declared "caretaker of Tennessee football". He owns the attrition... the injuries... the development issues... the performances of the assistants he hired and kept around too long.

The patterns convince me that the problems likely point to Jones' abilities as a HC. BUT... I would love to be wrong and for his latest decisions (including the hundreds you didn't mention) will result in UT finally breaking through into the top tier of the SEC.

Not really. You hate CBJ.

Reactions: 2 people
The last 3 end of the season records for Tennessee are 7-6 in 14 and 9-4 in 15 & 16.

Do you think this could be in part to rebuilding quality depth? Not just because of injuries but just plain getting tired? So many boys that were turning into men (there is a big difference you know). Now that youth and quality depth are changing, maybe the number of bad injuries will also.

Nothing is cast in stone, neither wins nor losses. But last year we had a combination of poor coaching (some from Butch, some from position coaches), we had major drama from some of the players we depended on, Williams and Hurd. We had so many injuries, and you can handle some, and we did till after Georgia. But eventually they catch up, other coaches start planning for your weaknesses. And Dobbs. God bless him, he has to be the best quarterback who was not a great passer I have ever seen. And I don't buy that he was a great leader on the field. He was a player, and a great young man, but football was not his only priority, nor should it have been. Just sayin.

I was watching ESPN, "Before they were Cowboys" this morning. The 64 Arkansas team had no stars, no pros, yet they beat a Nebraska team that outweighed them by 20 pounds per man. Leadership determination, and luck, you have to have some luck, and character. Last year's team had talent but not enough character, not enough leadership, too much drama and way too many injuries.

Now, next year may not be any better, but with a little luck, not many injuries, and better coaching I can see 10 or 11 wins. Optimistic? Yes, but if you aren't optimistic why call yourself a fan?

I don't make predictions about great players and results because there are too many variables. But I really believe both our running game AND our passing game will be better. Neither quarterback can run like Dobbs, I've never seen any quarterback with his legs execpt maybe Vick. But either can pass better. Barring major injuries our offense is going to blow up. Our defense will be better, barring major injuries, we are still thin on the defensive line. If we get lucky we will have several freshmen that will win starting roles on defense. If Martin grows up and the transfer from Cincinatti is as advertised we should be good. Still, for me, IT ALL COMES DOWN TO INJURIES.

You asked for reasons why we could win more games, this suffice?

Damn!! Great post!!! Wish I could do this..

VN Store

Back