What if we are better?

Ok who do you think could do better that's not Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh? If we were to fire Butch after this season which could be a possibility depending on how the season goes, who do we go after? Don't say Miles cause that would be a terrible hire. If you're complaining about the results we got now with Butch, you better hope our A.D. doesn't hire someone on a similar winning level to Butch cause then, we'd be right back where we started. There's only a handful of "Elite" coaches in the NCAA and they ain't coming here. Choose wisely.

Where did I say fire Butch in anything I wrote?

I am completely apathetic about Butch at this point. He will win at a higher level or be gone. It will take care of itself. Not supporting him is different than saying fire him. Conversely, I've said that the best thing for the Vols will be for him to fix his shortcomings and show that he can finally win at a high level.

As for a replacement, people who make a lot more money than me are in charge of that. We are not at that point....yet.

Apparently you have a list though....since you know Miles would be a bad choice. Are you one of the high paid experts in the AD? I'm

Reactions: 3 people
Where did I say fire Butch in anything I wrote?

I am completely apathetic about Butch at this point. He will win at a higher level or be gone. It will take care of itself. Not supporting him is different than saying fire him. Conversely, I've said that the best thing for the Vols will be for him to fix his shortcomings and show that he can finally win at a high level.

As for a replacement, people who make a lot more money than me are in charge of that. We are not at that point....yet.

Apparently you have a list though....since you know Miles would be a bad choice. Are you one of the high paid experts in the AD? I'm

Yea that's what we need is another washed up coach who got fired from LSU for a reason. If Butch doesn't win this year, fire him but I'm just saying that you better hope his replacement is better or else we'll just be starting over again. Don't you think that's getting a bit old? I ain't got the confidence that our A.D. will even make the right decisions. They haven't changed their stubborn ways yet so why should they start now? Hell I'm no expert but I couldn't be anymore worse than those bunch of jack wagons in our Administration department.

Unless we get an elite coach begging to coach here, we'll just be settling for someone similar to Butch if he gets fired.

What if we have a better season this year than the previous ones under Jones? It's a thought I have been rattling around in my head since spring practice. Does it mean new coaches are doing their jobs better than previous? Are new schemes better? Was injuries last season really the downfall of last season? Is it just the byproduct of young players getting p.t. last year? I personally think we will be better. So what does it mean if we are?

P.s. Long time observer, first thread

A better question to ask is what happens when we lose 3 of our first 5 football games. What then? It's a far more likely scenario than winning more than 9 games next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea that's what we need is another washed up coach who got fired from LSU for a reason. If Butch doesn't win this year, fire him but I'm just saying that you better hope his replacement is better or else we'll just be starting over again. Don't you think that's getting a bit old? I ain't got the confidence that our A.D. will even make the right decisions. They haven't changed their stubborn ways yet so why should they start now? Hell I'm no expert but I couldn't be anymore worse than those bunch of jack wagons in our Administration department.

Unless we get an elite coach begging to coach here, we'll just be settling for someone similar to Butch if he gets fired.
Nobody good is every going to beg to coach at UT. However plenty of elite coaches can be convinced with a dump truck full of cash which is how every other school got their elite coach to come there.

We agree about a great deal...just had to isolate your final point.

I honestly do not believe there are many people who are pleased to have the Vols at anything less than competing for championships. There may be one or two of them, but I haven't seen a single one.

I challenge you or anyone else to find a single Vols fan who says he or she is happy NOT competing for championships.

We're a program that, when things are going well, competes for championships. Period.

~ ~ ~

And yet, that still averages out at between 8 and 9 wins a season if you count it over decades' worth of seasons.

So if Butch retires as the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers in the year 2040 with an average of 8.5 wins per season over that span, we're all ecstatic and the trophy case will be full of something more than Life board games for his efforts.

I'm in on that.

I think his average will only go up from here on. He had had his bad years(9-4), now we are about to get what to expect on a reload(new QB) year.

Nobody good is every going to beg to coach at UT. However plenty of elite coaches can be convinced with a dump truck full of cash which is how every other school got their elite coach to come there.

Dump truck full of cash, a very good roster, great facilities, no apr issues, incredible fan base/support, greatly improved in-state recruiting base. It's a light years better job than it was 5 years ago, in large part due to the good work that Butch has done off the field.

Reactions: 5 people
Dump truck full of cash, a very good roster, great facilities, no apr issues, incredible fan base/support, greatly improved in-state recruiting base. It's a light years better job than it was 5 years ago, in large part due to the good work that Butch has done off the field.

Agree.

If it comes to that, I agree....

Good post. We're just wait & see mode this year with Butch. If he wins, great. If not, guess it's time to make a change. I just hope our program doesn't get set back again.

If it comes to that, I agree....

Elite coaches want just a few things.

1. $
2. A place where you can reach the top.
3. Enough control that they can make or break themselves.

UT can cover any or all of those 3.

If they choose.

Elite coaches want just a few things.

1. $
2. A place where you can reach the top.
3. Enough control that they can make or break themselves.

UT can cover any or all of those 3.

If they choose.
That 3rd one may be tough.

Good post. We're just wait & see mode this year with Butch. If he wins, great. If not, guess it's time to make a change. I just hope our program doesn't get set back again.

You are either doing everything you can do to be the best you can be or your not.

No UT fan "wants" Jones, Dooley, Kiffin, Fulmer, Majors, Battle... or any other HC to fail.

Jones has to prove he is the best UT can do.

I hope you are sitting down,...... the current year is 2017, 2014 was 3 years ago not 2.

Umm, VolFaninBama was responding to a fellow, Chilmonty, who said "each of the previous three seasons". 2014 is one of the previous three seasons ('14, '15, and '16), so he had his calendar right.

You seem to have completely misunderstood the context of his response.

Last edited:
Negavols won't go away - even if the Vols win the East or SEC this year they will say he lucked into it or it was Hoke etc. Negavols did the same to Majors and Fulmer and ran them out of town.

I say support the Team - which includes players and coaches. Butch has turned this program around and doesn't deserve this constant bashing. He has a good team lets just hope there aren't injuries and Hurd like players this year.

GO VOLS!

You don't think Florida backed into the SECCG last year?

What about '04 and '07?

Coaches and especially the HC make decisions concerning... S&C, practice methods, game planning, player rotation/rest, techniques, the teaching of techniques... and ALL of these things have an impact on injuries.

So there is no such thing as good or bad luck? I beg to differ. Over the long haul things like injuries average out, but in a single season you can be unlucky.

I would be interested in your injury by injury analysis per which were Butch's fault and which were just dumb bad luck.

And I would be interested in your proof of the term "luck" and better yet an explanation for why UT suffered 3 consecutive years of higher than average player injuries while COMPLETELY avoiding decisions made by Jones in things like S&C philosophy/staff, practice routines, fatigue management, playing time management, techniques, etc.

So there is no such thing as good or bad luck? I beg to differ. Over the long haul things like injuries average out, but in a single season you can be unlucky.

No. There is no such thing as "luck". Luck is an attempt to say that if we cannot easily determine the cause-effect relationships... then they aren't there.

It wasn't a single season. It has been three consecutives seasons. In the first two, the bulk of injuries occurred in August.

And you might want to take this up with Jones... He acknowledged having done a study of UT's excessive injuries after the 2nd year. He changed August practice routines last year to allow star players to take days off. They reduced contact and stopped pushing players to such high levels of fatigue. UT had far fewer injuries in August but had them later in the year. That indicates he found part but not all of the solution.

VN Store

Back