What if Bret Bielama was hired at TN?

Why on God’s green earth is this even a thread?

WHY is this guy’s name even spun out there as a possible hire? Like who really surveys the college football landscape and zeros in THAT dudes name as a possible candidate? Lol.

It's not. You should have read the original post.

I live in Arky.....seen this dumpster fire up close......not no......but HELL NO. He makes the same executive decision errors that BJ makes. Multiple staff turn over. Hard headed over his type of offense, even though he does not have the personnel. Sound familiar? A likable bUTch jones. Same outcome. bUTch is a better recruiter....BB is a BAD recruiter. NO! NO! NO!

Bret Bielema was part of the system at Wisconsin a system setup by Barry Alvarez. Alvarez is now the ad and is doing very well at that also.

Alabama had 3 or 4 misses before they got to Saban.
Florida had a miss after both Spurrier and Meyer.
Notre Dame has all the money in the world and God on their side and they keep missing.

It's just an inexact science.

And yet there is a proven winner available in Chip Kelly and this fanbase is falling all over itself over a complete unknown in Gruden.

Science has nothing to do with it, just hype and hysteria.

OP, as someone who lives in Arkansas let me say this as gently as I can: NOPE. I realize that Arkansas may not be the easiest place to recruit, but Beliema’s SEC record is 10-25. Let that sink in a bit

And...... One of those wins is over Butch...

Reactions: 1 person
Notre Dame is a dinosaur that needs to evolve or die. They will eventually be forced to become a full time member of the ACC in football, or risk being a slightly better BYU.

They could say the same about us (living in th past, wishing it was 1997, etc...)

And yet there is a proven winner available in Chip Kelly and this fanbase is falling all over itself over a complete unknown in Gruden.

Science has nothing to do with it, just hype and hysteria.

To be fair, those that see the two, see Kelly as a mercenary who would undoubtedly leave for greener pastures. Gruden is as close to an alum without playing here as one can be. Grad asst., wife a UT cheerleader (and doesn’t his kid go here?).

If Gruden did choose to come here, it would be because this was where he wanted to be, and people wouldn’t be worried about him leaving the next year for his dream job.

I’d be happy with either one, but having ridden that wave to the full in 2012, I’m not getting confident. We are 5 years further away from being relevant than we were in 2012.

Last edited:
To be fair, those that see the two, see Kelly as a mercenary who would undoubtedly leave for greener pastures. Gruden is as close to an alum without playing here as one can be. Grad asst., wife a UT cheerleader (and doesn’t his kid go here?).

If Gruden did choose to come here, it would be because this was where he wanted to be, and people wouldn’t be worried about him leaving the next year for his dream job.

I’d be happy with either one, but having ridden that wave to the full in 2012, I’m not getting confident. We are 5 years further away from being relevant than we were in 2012.

You could have said the exact same thing about Saban before he arrived in Tuscaloosa.

We can't be afraid to hire the best coach on the market, just because we are worried about keeping him.

Exactly. He was considered a proven winner. As was Charlie Strong.

This is why there's not a lot of power 5 coaches that transfer to other power 5 teams. There is just no guarantee system will work in a different conference or environment. Or the assistants and so on. So many more factors than just throw money at an already successful coach.

The current argument here would simply have flopped to we should have hired an enthusiastic up and coming coordinator rather than a retread HC.

Well we would atleast be able to bring back the “Our coach’s wife is hotter than your’s” shirts that splashed onto the scene in Knoxville during the Lane Era

We'd have gargantuan offensive linemen and not much else.

Wrong....
He cannot recruit OL; that’s the problem. His identity is big OL that runs down hill. The only good OL recruits at Arky in the past 5 yrs were the ones that Pittman brought from UT when he and Cheney left after Dooley was fired. The OL at Arky currently sucks; bad recruiting and coaching at this (all) positions

Regardless of east or west, I don't think the boosters would even consider someone who wasn't clearly heads above Butch...

That's a lot of money wasted for a potential latteral or lower tier higher.

Now with both coaches on the hot seat, what if we'd beat Arkansas to the punch and hired Bret instead. His resume was impressive at Wisconsin. 68-24 record. 3 Rose Bowl appearances. Finalist for COY in 2010. In looking at the he potential candidates to replace CBJ, I would think a coach with a similar Power 5 resume would be a leading candidate. Is Bielama an example of that even if u make a big time hire it doesn't always pan out.

Crack is an evil, evil drug.

Now with both coaches on the hot seat, what if we'd beat Arkansas to the punch and hired Bret instead. His resume was impressive at Wisconsin. 68-24 record. 3 Rose Bowl appearances. Finalist for COY in 2010. In looking at the he potential candidates to replace CBJ, I would think a coach with a similar Power 5 resume would be a leading candidate. Is Bielama an example of that even if u make a big time hire it doesn't always pan out.

He would have kept Pitman and Chaney things would have been different that's for sure.

Butch is a better recruiter but I’d say Bielama is the better coach. If you made me pick between the two, I’d take Bielema. That doesn’t mean I want him to be our next coach by any means.

VN Store

Back