What if Bret Bielama was hired at TN?

Now with both coaches on the hot seat, what if we'd beat Arkansas to the punch and hired Bret instead. His resume was impressive at Wisconsin. 68-24 record. 3 Rose Bowl appearances. Finalist for COY in 2010. In looking at the he potential candidates to replace CBJ, I would think a coach with a similar Power 5 resume would be a leading candidate. Is Bielama an example of that even if u make a big time hire it doesn't always pan out.

He is not a good recruiter. He won a lot more in the Big Ten because it is easier to win there.

Reactions: 1 person
OP, as someone who lives in Arkansas let me say this as gently as I can: NOPE. I realize that Arkansas may not be the easiest place to recruit, but Beliema’s SEC record is 10-25. Let that sink in a bit

he's also in the West. not making excuses. just it is what it is.

i think BB could have had similar or better success here if we hired him. i think the offensive style of play would have fit better with what our typical identity has been as a power run, pro style offense. the recruiting is the unknown. not sure if he could bring the talent.

personally, i think Wisconsin's success over the last 20 years has a lot more to do with Barry Alvarez than it does with either BB or Paul Crist. BB is an average to just above average coach as we've now seen.

but on paper, at the time, hard to argue with it...looked like a slam dunk. too bad they hit the back of the rim in the process.:peace2:

OP, as someone who lives in Arkansas let me say this as gently as I can: NOPE. I realize that Arkansas may not be the easiest place to recruit, but Beliema’s SEC record is 10-25. Let that sink in a bit

He might be a good OL coach somewhere.

Last edited:
He was considered a home run hire for Arkansas when they brought him on.

Exactly. He was considered a proven winner. As was Charlie Strong.

This is why there's not a lot of power 5 coaches that transfer to other power 5 teams. There is just no guarantee system will work in a different conference or environment. Or the assistants and so on. So many more factors than just throw money at an already successful coach.

No mattresses within a 50 mile radius of Knoxville would be safe.

I don't understand why folks believe that a coach that is not winning big at other schools can win at Tennessee?

It may be however that the coaches just switch schools, since coaches outside the SEC are avoiding the SEC. Recent hires at all schools have either been former SEC HC at another school or assistants.

The up and coming coaches are going to the other conferences. Coaching in the SEC = death sentence for any coach whose name is not SABAN.

I don't understand why folks believe that a coach that is not winning big at other schools can win at Tennessee?

It may be however that the coaches just switch schools, since coaches outside the SEC are avoiding the SEC. Recent hires at all schools have either been former SEC HC at another school or assistants.

The up and coming coaches are going to the other conferences. Coaching in the SEC = death sentence for any coach whose name is not SABAN.
no it's not. have some schools made bad decisions? yeah.

but the coaches themselves, they're competitive and think they can be successful.

that, and the SEC has buyouts like no other. Richt has landed on his feet quite nicely. even Dooley is coaching in the NFL. Tubberville went on to have a couple different gigs as a head coach. Muschamp has survived, some may say thrived, since getting canned at FL. Ron Zook coached at Illinois for a nice stint after FL. Gene Chizik went on to coach at UNC, and has a nice easy gig now.

Houston Nutt is on TV, FUlmer never got back in, though he would have if the right opportunity presented. Mike Shula is QB coach with the panthers and having great success there. Urban Meyer has done just fine since he left.

hardly a death sentence.

With that offense I would pull my eyes out. Terribly boring. Give me Paul Johnson before that hogwash.

I heard a radio interview with paul johnson yesterday and actually he is a funny guy. I would take him over resilient trash cans.

Last edited:
What if Bret Bielema was hired at TN?

twins.jpg

SEC Record, Including 2017

Butch: 14-20 .411%
Bret: 10-24 .294%

Not the type of improvement we need.

Reactions: 2 people
If Tennessee is out to become the cradle of third-rate coaches, by all means hire Bielema. Living in Arkansas, I've had the opportunity to watch him up close. There are probably three million hog fans who'd help him pack.

However, UK is trending in the right direction. They should (barring a typical second half of the schedule UK meltdown) be bowl eligible again and be in a position to go to a pretty decent bowl.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that at the other 3 schools, most certainly UT and Auburn, Stoops would not have made it to year 4, especially after starting out 5-1 in Year 2, and 4-1 in Year 3, only to collapse once UK got IMO the meat of the schedule. UT canned Dooley with only 1 bowl in 3 seasons, and Auburn fired a coach 2 seasons after he won an NC, so neither of those schools would have given Stoops that 4th season. But I credit Stoops for making UK better and more competitive, but he is a lot like Butch in being a good recruiter, but questionable game day coach. He might be able to get UK to 8, maybe even 9 games this season because he has MSU and Ole Miss as crossover games, but I don't see the window staying open for him to consistently do that. Like UT, they were lucky to win a couple of games this season against weak teams, and next season they will have to break in a new QB, so it remains to be seen if Stoops can continue trending up.

What if Bret Bielema was hired at TN?

View attachment 138995

SEC Record, Including 2017

Butch: 14-20 .411%
Bret: 10-24 .294%

Not the type of improvement we need.

I would take him all day over Butch. We have a much easier sec schedule. If I am not mistaken, Butch has never beaten an sec west opponent. Also, he out coached butch in their only meeting.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that at the other 3 schools, most certainly UT and Auburn, Stoops would not have made it to year 4, especially after starting out 5-1 in Year 2, and 4-1 in Year 3, only to collapse once UK got IMO the meat of the schedule. UT canned Dooley with only 1 bowl in 3 seasons, and Auburn fired a coach 2 seasons after he won an NC, so neither of those schools would have given Stoops that 4th season. But I credit Stoops for making UK better and more competitive, but he is a lot like Butch in being a good recruiter, but questionable game day coach. He might be able to get UK to 8, maybe even 9 games this season because he has MSU and Ole Miss as crossover games, but I don't see the window staying open for him to consistently do that. Like UT, they were lucky to win a couple of games this season against weak teams, and next season they will have to break in a new QB, so it remains to be seen if Stoops can continue trending up.

Expectations were low going in for him, I agree. But it is UK. If they get a bowl game, fans are happy. 7 wins? Celebration going on.

8 wins? They'd probably take a day off with the party that would go on.

Alabama had 3 or 4 misses before they got to Saban.
Florida had a miss after both Spurrier and Meyer.
Notre Dame has all the money in the world and God on their side and they keep missing.

It's just an inexact science.

Fla. still doesn't have the right coach.

Reactions: 2 people
he's also in the West. not making excuses. just it is what it is.

i think BB could have had similar or better success here if we hired him. i think the offensive style of play would have fit better with what our typical identity has been as a power run, pro style offense. the recruiting is the unknown. not sure if he could bring the talent.

personally, i think Wisconsin's success over the last 20 years has a lot more to do with Barry Alvarez than it does with either BB or Paul Crist. BB is an average to just above average coach as we've now seen.

but on paper, at the time, hard to argue with it...looked like a slam dunk. too bad they hit the back of the rim in the process.:peace2:

Paul Chryst is the real deal. He recruits 3* that play like 4*. His scheme looks simple but it works well. Wisconsin’s D is solid. The Badgers very well may end up in the playoff. Alvarez is still around, but this is all about Chryst. He is the anti-Butch in that he actually answers a reporters questions and would never be caught saying some inane statement like ... well you know.

VN Store

Back