What happened to all the talent?

Jones also recruited and wanted"Nice" guys.. Guys that would do community service and pick up trash on campus.. Very few of them have some "Dog" in them.. Warrior, Jennings(Who knows) both have some dog... which is needed

Reactions: 1 person
The talent went uncoached!

The time is needed to change the mentality of a team that just lays down and takes it.

Gotta re-heat the forge!

This is the correct answer to the question....

Jones played favorites....

In his last couple he did for sure. He started a bunch of new guys early on (and let us hear about it constantly) because, as it turns out in hindsight, he had no choice. In his later years he IMO kept underperforming starters as starters for way too long.

I have been told that is a natural tendency of a coach when he finally gets all "his guys' as upperclassmen. But you know what? Saban and other top coaches these days don't do that. They foster competition and make it clear that underperformers will be replaced.

I expect Pruitt will do the same.

Drew Richmond, Smith, Jashon Robertson OL???

K-Mac, Phillips, Kongbo, Tuttle, Vickers, Taylor???

Kirkland, Reeves Maybin???

Umm all 4-5* guys??? No Talent??? Guess me and every scout and espn report on High school athletes are full of it. You have to be kidding me if you don't think that we have a talented team......

Lesson for you, we had Alvin Kamara. Remember him?? yea vaguely I'm sure bc our previous inept staff only gave him the ball 6-9 times a game....he is now up for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR IN THE NFL!!!!! He barley played for us.........

There is a boatload of talent that Pruitt is inheriting, now to see if he can coach them up to play at their maximum level will be the question.

Butch and company recruited well but never seemed to coach 'em up (the ones that didn't transfer). That and his nonsensical in game coaching were what doomed him.

I have been reading for the last couple of years about how we are LOADED with talent. Now all of a sudden, in many threads I have been reading how we have to give CJP 'time' because essentially the cupboard is bare. OK. Where did all the talent go? Did they graduate? Quit? Die? Help me out.

You are what your record is.
School record for losses
School record for most rushing yards given up.
Offense? Terrible!
Rebuild

I have been reading for the last couple of years about how we are LOADED with talent. Now all of a sudden, in many threads I have been reading how we have to give CJP 'time' because essentially the cupboard is bare. OK. Where did all the talent go? Did they graduate? Quit? Die? Help me out.

We have more talent than 8 teams on the schedule next year. We will go likely 8-4 possibly 9-3 NEXT YEARR

Out of conference: 3 sure wins. WVa is a toss-up and tough matchup for first game, but still winnable. I will not judge Pruitt as an automatic bust if he loses that game. Will be interesting to see Grier play against us again. WVa could be a pretty good team next year with him returning.

In conference. 3 likely losses in Ga, Auburn and Bama. The other 5 games are winnable, but also loseable.

So, it definitely should be a bowl team. And I think the over/under line on the regular season should be 7-5.

I will also add, though, that Year 2 is when all of the great coaches seem to hit their stride. So, barring another disaster like this season, I will be happy to see a bowl bid in 2018.

This team reminds me of that terrible Auburn team before Malzahn took it over. Loaded with talent but poorly used. Now Malzahn’s team overachieved and had some good breaks that year on its National Championship appearance run ( miracle on the plains, kick six etc), but they were much improved because the coach could harness that potential.

Now our SEC slate is tough with auburn but most of the east was within a score this year besides Georgia mizzou and Vandy ( those last two, the team just gave up).

I can see 6 wins easily and maybe even 8 and a bowl. Just depends on how the team shapes up.

We have more talent than 8 teams on the schedule next year. We will go likely 8-4 possibly 9-3 NEXT YEARR

Disagree
Talent level has to be built up.
We're in rebuilding mode.
All starts with getting SEC talent.

IMHO 8 win seasons periodically are part of player turn over, injuries, calls not going your way, etc. and are just going to happen from time to time. Less than that should have your seat melting at UT. 9-10 should be expected every year with the occasional 11, maybe even 12 win season. Somebody tell me I'm wrong, because I feel like I'm drilling the nail dead center.

I guess I'm full of it then because I say we should have been 10-2 in 2015 and 2016 and SEC East Champs both years - especially '15 if we could have held 2 TD fourth quarter leads.

Jalen Reeves-Maybin (would have made a big diff)
Darrin Kirkland Jr. (another LB. Was looking strong)
Quarte Sapp (yet another linebacker)
Cameron Sutton (Huge loss)
Jalen Hurd (hurt and played below potential, then left)
Kahlil McKenzie (5* playing below potential. Hope to see more)
Dylan Wiesman
Alvin Kamara missed several games

Interesting thing is that with these guys playing more (even just having Maybin and Sutton on D), I believe we lose only 2 games.
Silver lining? Butch likely would still be here if they did go 10-2.

So who were all these lying numbnuts saying that we had top 5 classes every year? I want some payback on dey azz.

Stop listening to people on here and go check out 247’s team rankings if you want the truth. We were 7 in 2014, 4 in 2015, 14 in 2016, and 17 in 2017. That 2015 class should give us a talent advantage until you look at the top 9 players.

K-Mac: hasn’t played anywhere close to his potential
Kyle Philips: been more disappointing than K-Mac
Kamara: gone
Preston Williams: gone
Tuttle: injures 2 seasons
Richmond: looks lost and soft, should be at RT
Jack Jones: gone
DK JR: injured
Jennings: injured and gone

Reactions: 4 people

Have you not seen our "talent"?

They suck, because they were overevaluated and underdeveloped by the best staff in America.

Stop listening to people on here and go check out 247’s team rankings if you want the truth. We were 7 in 2014, 4 in 2015, 14 in 2016, and 17 in 2017. That 2015 class should give us a talent advantage until you look at the top 9 players.

K-Mac: hasn’t played anywhere close to his potential
Kyle Philips: been more disappointing than K-Mac
Kamara: gone
Preston Williams: gone
Tuttle: injures 2 seasons
Richmond: looks lost and soft, should be at RT
Jack Jones: gone
DK JR: injured
Jennings: injured and gone

How many of those players are still here now?

It's there. Most of it was on side line injured near end of season. Last game or two, we were down to maybe 4 scholarship linemen. Maybe on D. Needs solid coaching development to get them to the level they are capable of when healthy.

Jalen Reeves-Maybin (would have made a big diff)
Darrin Kirkland Jr. (another LB. Was looking strong)
Quarte Sapp (yet another linebacker)
Cameron Sutton (Huge loss)
Jalen Hurd (hurt and played below potential, then left)
Kahlil McKenzie (5* playing below potential. Hope to see more)
Dylan Wiesman
Alvin Kamara missed several games

Interesting thing is that with these guys playing more (even just having Maybin and Sutton on D), I believe we lose only 2 games.
Silver lining? Butch likely would still be here if they did go 10-2.

The team got soft after 2015 when they ran off the strength coach. There was also a huge lack of leadership. Against Va Tech it was clear Dobbs wasn’t the leader a great QB needs to be off the field.

First year for most coaches doesn't reflect overall success. That is true. Installing new systems and a new attitude causes growing pains. Saban went 6-6 his first year at Bama, Smart went 7-5.

I think a fair expectation should be 6-7 wins with at least one coming over a team where UT is the underdog.

By year two, we should hope for 9+ wins. Every coach that has won a SEC title since they introduced the championship game has won at least 9 games by year 2.

In the meantime, hope to get top 10 recruiting classes. It may be alot to ask for this year on a short time frame, but they will be necessary beginning next year to have the talent needed to compete for SEC and ultimately national titles.

IMHO 8 win seasons periodically are part of player turn over, injuries, calls not going your way, etc. and are just going to happen from time to time. Less than that should have your seat melting at UT. 9-10 should be expected every year with the occasional 11, maybe even 12 win season. Somebody tell me I'm wrong, because I feel like I'm drilling the nail dead center.

You are right. With Kentucky, Vandy, USCjr, mizzou on the schedule that should be 4 wins. 4 nonconfernce with most being cupcake should at least get 7-8 win total. Florida is a toss up. UGA And Bama are our two toughest. The revolving opponent from the West is the wild card.

Are we there with this soft team? Who knows?

How many of those players are still here now?

Right now it looks like 5 but they can all declare for the draft. K-Mac and Philips might get picked up on potential alone. If we’re lucky Pruitt will let Jennings earn a spot on the team

I would prefer a loaded 3* roster that is physically conditioned and motivated than 4 & 5*s who were "developed" by Butch.

Hypothetically, if all healthy, I'm not so sure we won't be in as bad a position as everyone thinks. You wonder how complicated our schemes were, and just plain bad coaching on both sides of ball. They always say if a D is thinking more than reacting and running to the ball, then it's not operating efficiently. Seems Pruitt promotes simplification and aggression. Comment I liked the most on the presser was that he wants his db's playing up on the wr's, and not passive off the line of scrimmage.

That being said, we lost a decent amount and very few, to date have been developed.

VN Store

Back