Westworld (HBO)

I wonder if they're circumventing the Man in Black thing being a host in the original by tying into something very different.

One thing I notice was Anthony Hopkin's character saying "You have to excuses me some mistakes" after his analogy of maybe even being able to bring people back from the dead.

I wonder if he intentionally uploaded these mistakes to see what could happen with the hosts, and to then use one of the hosts to do something as outrageous as storing his own memories and personalities within one so that he never dies. Or the Man in Black (I keep feeling like Stephen King references here calling him that) is already a long lost friend or family memory that he's brought back as a test.

Reactions: 1 person
Episode 2 is available for streaming. That old movie looks like Yul Brynner in Magnificent 7.

This show is good but it even after episode 2 it still feels very "pilot episode," like it hasn't quite decided exactly what it wants to be yet

Episode two was better than the first, and now we have a great idea of where it's all heading.

But damn, this feel seven more Stephen King than before because

The "man in black" who goes on a killing rampage in a wild west like place with futuristic technology is looking for something that seems to be the center to this world, he finds out about it and gets flat out told "The Maze is not for you."

That's as Dark Tower as you can get.

But Anthony Hopkins had one of the best lines I've heard in a while in this episode.

"You can't play God without being acquainted with the Devil."

I'm beginning to wonder if, in this instance, Ford isn't the Devil. He did the reveries which helped give the hosts some sentience, and now he's adding a new story that seems to have a religious connotation.

Episode two was better than the first, and now we have a great idea of where it's all heading.

But damn, this feel seven more Stephen King than before because

The "man in black" who goes on a killing rampage in a wild west like place with futuristic technology is looking for something that seems to be the center to this world, he finds out about it and gets flat out told "The Maze is not for you."

That's as Dark Tower as you can get.

But Anthony Hopkins had one of the best lines I've heard in a while in this episode.

"You can't play God without being acquainted with the Devil."

I'm beginning to wonder if, in this instance, Ford isn't the Devil. He did the reveries which helped give the hosts some sentience, and now he's adding a new story that seems to have a religious connotation.

I think that would make him both God and the Devil then.

Yeah i really this show. It could go anywhere.

I have already rewatched both episodes.

I actually just read that Stephen King based The Gunslinger and some of the themes of the Dark Tower on Yul Brynner's work in the Magnificent Seven and other stuff like Westworld even. Good to know.

Fantastic episode. Loving the way it's shaping up.

I'm anxious to see what this new storyline is.

I'm tired of my guy (gunslinger hero) getting killed every episode lol.

The main host girl is starting to become sentient.

With Ford name dropping the Bicameral Mind theory last night it's all but confirmed to be he (or Bernard) is trying to make sentient life. Ford might even know Bernard is doing it and trying to stop him.

Now that we know about Bernard's son, he may indeed be trying to bring the son back and not Ford bringing his partner back.

For those of you who don't know what the Bicameral Mind Theory is here is a good article on it (about WestWorld in fact)

https://www.inverse.com/article/14264-bicameral-mind-westworld-julian-jaynes-origin-of-consciousness-hbo

But, to summarize it. Jaynes thought that humans didn't exist as we did 3000 years ago. he believes at some point we developed enough language to realize we were sentient and have introspection within our minds and not blame them on supernatural reasons. Basically, we went from walking/talking sex machines to people who cared about art, writing, and anything other than just the physical.

Ford and Bernard are effectively putting the Hosts into the spot Jaynes thought we were at thousands of years ago, and since they learn much faster than we do, they might be a step from true sentience.

And I think that's where we're going with the show. Especially with Ford's story potentially involving religion, because up until our "minds split" the only explanations we had for our own thoughts was "God must be telling me to do this." and There is a great chance Ford is going to tell the Hosts this God in his story is who was talking to them before.

Reactions: 2 people
So..... Now that we know about a new Arthur character, I think it's safe to assume...

that he's the man in black. He died at the park, and what we've seen of his existence so far is only a memory of the hosts. Which means there was probably a power struggle between him and Ford and others, so he probably put himself in the park and tried to program the hosts to be his way. Seems like he succeeded.

I'm interested where this Wyatt story line is going though.

Teddy has no success shooting his gang, so it appears like they could be guests. Why would guests be working for one of these hosts?

Last edited:
So..... Now that we know about a new Arthur character, I think it's safe to assume...

that he's the man in black. He died at the park, and what we've seen of his existence so far is only a memory of the hosts. Which means there was probably a power struggle between him and Ford and others, so he probably put himself in the park and tried to program the hosts to be his way. Seems like he succeeded.

Teddy has no success shooting his gang, so it appears like they could be guests. Why would guests be working for one of these hosts?

To your fist spoiler

I like the theory, but I still think he's a guest. There was that part in episode 2 where he was in the Mexican-like village and the people in charge turned up the difficulty on him when he fought the gang. Why would they have been seeing him in present day if he was just a memory of other hosts?

Good stuff.

But it's Arnold not Arthur.

To your fist spoiler

I like the theory, but I still think he's a guest. There was that part in episode 2 where he was in the Mexican-like village and the people in charge turned up the difficulty on him when he fought the gang. Why would they have been seeing him in present day if he was just a memory of other hosts?

The people running the show also said "that man gets to do whatever he wants".

I think this is the best show on TV right now. Last night's episode was so brilliant for the existialism alone. That last scene was one of the best in a long time.

VN Store

Back